Default I have finally seen the "light"!

I've seen a lot of melted vinyl siding that I suspected came from window reflections.

A couple of days ago, I finally saw the "light" that was doing it.

It was coming off the sliding glass door on the south side of the house and reflecting onto the west facing wall.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: I have finally seen the "light"!

Yup that it. good eye. every time i see this condition its set up just like your home hear. glass door, return wall. i bet that glass door looks to the east?

Best

Ron

Did the broker list it as "Tanning Spa" included?

Dang, that entire house looks like it has vinyl siding problems.

Erby,

What would your recommendation for that be, knowing that when the vinyl siding is replaced, the same thing will happen to the new siding?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I had a small bottle of water in my hand a few days back. The water focused the light and burned my hand. Never happened to me before. Focused light is pretty amazing.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ted Menelly Guest

An exterior tinting system that does not reflect the light to that point would be the only way I could see it helping.

Strike that. Retractable sun screening would take car of it quite nicely. No reflection at all. They sell the retractable screening for the sliders.

What's the deal with that bizarre horizontal window up there?!

Bob White Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    What's the deal with that bizarre horizontal window up there?!
    Prolly in a bathroom over the tub or shower....

See lots of them around here.

Probably a window over a tub location.

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I had a small bottle of water in my hand a few days back. The water focused the light and burned my hand. Never happened to me before. Focused light is pretty amazing.
    Gunnar don't stand in one place so long. Odd stuff happen... L.O.L.

Best

Ron

Ron, you lose. Send me a Budweiser. From the OP
    It was coming off the sliding glass door on the south side of the house and reflecting onto the west facing wall.
    Jerry: Put a permanent screen over the stationary part of the patio door as that's where the light is reflected from. But then, I had the opportunity to see exactly what happened when I moved the sliding screen over the reflecting window. The light just disappeared, but came right back as soon as I moved the sliding screen. And, yeah, the whole house was nailed too tight to let the siding expand and contract. That's why the whole thing looks bubbled. Bet they don't replace it. After all, it's still "performing its intended function", it's just butt ugly and wrong.

John, that "bizarre horizontal window" up there is over the tub/shower enclosure. Fairly common around here.

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    Ron, you lose. Send me a Budweiser. From the OP

Jerry: Put a permanent screen over the stationary part of the patio door as that's where the light is reflected from. But then, I had the opportunity to see exactly what happened when I moved the sliding screen over the reflecting window. The light just disappeared, but came right back as soon as I moved the sliding screen. And, yeah, the whole house was nailed too tight to let the siding expand and contract. That's why the whole thing looks bubbled. Bet they don't replace it. After all, it's still "performing its intended function", it's just butt ugly and wrong.

John, that "bizarre horizontal window" up there is over the tub/shower enclosure. Fairly common around here.

-
    Erby

They sell the roll type screens that horizontally roll across the entire slider. Just a track at the top and bottom and a latch on the slider side.

Jerry: Put a permanent screen over the stationary part of the patio door as that's where the light is reflected from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    They sell the roll type screens that horizontally roll across the entire slider. Just a track at the top and bottom and a latch on the slider side.
    My question back was going to be 'But if you put a screen over the stationary door, that would block the track of the sliding screen, making it not slide, right?', then I read Ted's reply - sounds good.

After all, it's still "performing its intended function", it's just butt ugly and wrong.
    Erby,

It is not "performing its intended function", meaning it is *not* "just butt ugly".

List its "intended functions" and you will see what I mean.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com