Default Sprinkler system in commercial building

I did an inspection yesterday of a commercial warehouse. I commented to the warehouse manager that there was not a sprinkler system in the building. He said it was not necessary since the warehouse had "wet walls". What does this mean? He did not know either, he was just told this when he inquired about the sprinkler system. All I saw was standard metal warehouse walls and ceiling with insulation applied.

Jim Murphy

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Sprinkler system in commercial building

I have no idea what "wet walls" are or what it means, but that warehouse manager would be in for a very rude awakening if there were to be a fire in the contents of the warehouse ... there would be no way to run and no where to escape with no sprinklers.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Term: wet wall Subcategory:GeneralDefinition:An inside wall covering finish that often is made up of 1/2 inch gyupsum plaster and 3/8 inch gypsum plaster lath. It is put over the lath surface.

Other definitions for foundation walls

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Term: wet wall Subcategory:GeneralDefinition:An inside wall covering finish that often is made up of 1/2 inch gyupsum plaster
    Ted,

I read that far and went (slap to forehead) DUH!

In relation to a fire sprinkler, in that frame of mind, I had no idea what a "wet wall" was, but, as soon as you changed the reference point ... "wet wall" means plaster, and "dry wall" means gypsum board.

A "wet wall" (i.e., "plaster") can be over wood lath, metal lath, wire lath, rock lath (a type/size of gypsum board), or blue board (gypsum board designed to take one coat veneer plaster).

(another slap to forehead) DUH!

It, of course, has nothing to do with having or not having sprinklers.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Ted,

I read that far and went (slap to forehead) DUH!

In relation to a fire sprinkler, in that frame of mind, I had no idea what a "wet wall" was, but, as soon as you changed the reference point ... "wet wall" means plaster, and "dry wall" means gypsum board.

A "wet wall" (i.e., "plaster") can be over wood lath, metal lath, wire lath, rock lath (a type/size of gypsum board), or blue board (gypsum board designed to take one coat veneer plaster).

(another slap to forehead) DUH!

It, of course, has nothing to do with having or not having sprinklers.
    I know but he was probably told something on the line of a plaster system was a fireproofing of some king. I guess it would be to a point but what about all the goods stored in the warehouse and when they burn and heat the roof, then what. Just a lame excuse not to go to the expense of sprinklers.

Thanks Guys!

The only fire walls present were between the warehouse and the offices. The warehouse was split into two sections. There was a firewall between the sections and the two offices. The wall was made up of two sheets of 1/2 fire X sheetrock. The warehouses were empty. The amazing thing to me was that the ceiling above the offices where the air-handlers were was made of OSB board. That is not exactly fire proof.

Jim Murphy

Jeff Remas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    Thanks Guys!

The only fire walls present were between the warehouse and the offices. The warehouse was split into two sections. There was a firewall between the sections and the two offices. The wall was made up of two sheets of 1/2 fire X sheetrock. The warehouses were empty. The amazing thing to me was that the ceiling above the offices where the air-handlers were was made of OSB board. That is not exactly fire proof.

Jim Murphy

I am pretty sure they are not fire walls but rather a fire barrier or fire partition depending on how and why they were constructed. Be careful with your wording in your reports.