Default Chimney movement

I'm not certain that I know how to ask this question... I had a chimney yesterday that has some signs of movement and a repair. I'm trying to determine whether the repair was adequate. The chimney appears to have moved approximately 3/4" back at one point, so that the last chimney flue tile is off set about 3/4" from the next. There were no gaps between flue tiles, but I'm curious if there are allowances or is it pretty standard that once it's off it needs to be reset? This flue is for the oil-burning furnace and there was some scalling at the flue tile (however nothing too significant).

Any comments are appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Chimney movement

Looks to me like they removed the cricket at the last roof install.
    The chimney may have been repaired prior to the reroof as they would have cleaned that area up also at that time. They just removed the cricket and cut the flashings off. WHY? Seemed like a good idea at the time? NOT!
    The flue liner may not have moved but just been set poorly.
    Thay need a pro to repair, indicate probable stainless liner install.
    Did it move when you pushed on it?
    Is there Gas & Oil exhaust coming up through that flue?

Obviously, it is difficult to make a recommendation from pictures.

If I see evidence of movement or repair, I note it, recommend they get documentation about the repair from the seller (work order or similar from the contractor/technician that performed the repairs) and review/corrections by a qualified contractor if no documentation can be provided. As Wayne indicated, I also will push on the chimney to see if I can make it move.

I also have a paragraph about venting gas (we don't have oil around here) fired furnaces and water heaters through old masonry chimneys. Here in CA, we also tend to worry about older chimneys that are not reinforced (chimneys tend to fall when the ground shakes).

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I tend to be careful about pushing on chimneys.
    Did a re-roof once and just because the chimney didn't look kosher, I pushed on it.
    The word "crumbly" comes to mind as to its appearance.
    I was ever so glad that nobody was standing directly under where the chimney crashed to earth.
    The owner was very understanding in that it wasn't my fault that the chimney didn't weather well, thanked me for finding the problem, and was very happy that I wasn't hurt.

Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

Ted Menelly Guest

In Florida I was on the ground and a friend of mine was inspecting the roof and chimney. The chimney looked pretty solid but he grab one side of the chimney and leaned around to see the other side (used the chimney for support because of steep roof) The chimney moved slightly and when he pushed off of it it slid some more and then pretty much started falling down the roof. The seller said "I meant to worn you about the chimney"

Anyway for that reason and more I do not push on chimneys for any reason.

I also agree with Gunner and Wayne on the rest of what they said.

The masonry cap of the chimney should have a overhang and drip cut on the underside of the edge. As it is now the rain will be washing down the sides of the chimney eventually deteriorating the brick and mortar joints.

Several years ago we had a very strong wind where a double flue chimney was toppled through the roof, carrying the lady who was sitting in an recliner chair into the basement of the house.

Reis,

That chimney was not professionally (properly) built. What you saw is most likely the original construction. The flue itself is unsafe - what the CSIA will call "unable to contain products of combustion."

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Looks like it had a past cricket or a past other roof line with the flashing sticking out??

Rolland Pruner

I would recommend a NFPA Level II inspection without batting an eye. And as Gunnar said, we really worry about masonry chimneys in California as they have a tendency to remove themselves from the roof in seismic events.
    WHAT IS AN NFPA LEVEL INSPECTION

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant