Default pressure booster system?

I've never seen a pump and tank connected to public water. I assume it's to boost pressure, but I don't like assuming things.
    Any words of wisdom?
    10 year old 5 bed 4.5 bath relatively high end home.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: pressure booster system?

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I've never seen a pump and tank connected to public water. I assume it's to boost pressure, but I don't like assuming things.
    Any words of wisdom?
    10 year old 5 bed 4.5 bath relatively high end home.
    Thats a serious pump to hook up to city water. Do they have many occasions where every one of the four baths have someone that is in the shower or filling a tub. I can see a small booster pup but that thing can put out some volume and pressure.

The only reason I can think of for that on city water is to boost the water pressure, typically, that is done only on larger homes with other than barely adequate city pressure.

I've seen them before, but none of which looked like that.

The ones I've seen looked liked the 2nd and 3rd ones shown here: Water Pressure Booster Pump - Tools - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

As can be seen, though, there are other types.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I've never seen a pump and tank connected to public water. I assume it's to boost pressure, but I don't like assuming things. Any words of wisdom? 10 year old 5 bed 4.5 bath relatively high end home.
    John,

I see systems like this periodically. Generally located on hills where the water pressure is low. Around here, annual inspections are required by the city. I think it is to ensure that the check valve is functioning properly. The pump size does not look extraordinarily large.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Looks like a pressure reducing valve at the entry to the home and then a jet pump and pressure tank. Kind of strange to reduce the pressure and then increase it with a pump. Some towns with reservoirs at high altitudes create too much pressure at the house so must be reduced and then more than likely set at proper pressure to keep the pressure tank system worling. The tank will hold a few gallons that will allow even pressure to whatever is being supplied by the Larger line at right which may go to a larger jetted tub on upper level but more than likely to the sprinkler system at the exterior. Which is usually evidenced by the added shut off valve. Was there a sprinkler system outside?
    Or mabey it was a brokers house and they needed extra pressure to the BIDET

Last edited by wayne soper; 11-03-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Looks like a pressure reducing valve at the entry to the home and then a jet pump and pressure tank. Kind of strange to reduce the pressure and then increase it with a pump. Some towns with reservoirs at high altitudes create too much pressure at the house so must be reduced and then more than likely set at proper pressure to keep the pressure tank system worling. The tank will hold a few gallons that will allow even pressure to whatever is being supplied by the Larger line at right which may go to a larger jetted tub on upper level but more than likely to the sprinkler system at the exterior. Was there a sprinkler system outside?

Your killing me Wayne. I liked that one.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Looks like a pressure reducing valve at the entry to the home and then a jet pump and pressure tank. Kind of strange to reduce the pressure and then increase it with a pump. Some towns with reservoirs at high altitudes create too much pressure at the house so must be reduced and then more than likely set at proper pressure to keep the pressure tank system worling. The tank will hold a few gallons that will allow even pressure to whatever is being supplied by the Larger line at right which may go to a larger jetted tub on upper level but more than likely to the sprinkler system at the exterior. Which is usually evidenced by the added shut off valve. Was there a sprinkler system outside?
    There was a sprinkler system, which was turned off. I heard the pump run when I ran a lot of water.
    Maybe the pressure reducer/regulator is required regardless of what the actual street pressure is?

A check valve would be required on the city side for the pump to work properly (and likely required by the city) so the regulator may be a combo unit that was on the truck.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas