Default Creative roofing pattern

$1.5M new construction.

Any reasonable reason someone would do this... it's just so strange I feel obliged to ask if I'm missing something here....

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Creative roofing pattern

Same house, BTW:

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas

Randy King Guest

That does seem quite odd, I cannot think of any reason off the top of my head that someone would shingle it in that way. Anyone else wanna chime in...

Kevin Barre Guest

The shallow course of shingles at the top is because they got off of their layout between the dormers as they went up. In other words, they did not snap lines to keep the course layout the same all the way across. When they hit the ridge at the top of the dormers, their roofing between the dormers was higher up the rake at the top than the shingles were to either side of the dormers. As a result they had to run a short course to get back in line with the coursing across the main roof.
    As for the shingles you bracketed between the dormers -- that's just laziness. They didn't stagger the joints.

Kevin's explanation makes sense to me - here's a shot from across the street, the compressed course indeed lines up with the dormer ridges.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 11-04-2008 at 04:30 PM.
    Michael Thomas

Michael,

How did you report it?

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Ted Menelly Guest

I don't know what it is about higher dollar homes but i run in to funky roofing situations all the time on the bigger homes. That I would have written up just if for nothing else you can see it from out inn front of the home. They are not paying the bigger dollars to get shoddy workmanship. That is unacceptable on any home when it is such a visual mess.

Nothing says you cannot write up in favor for your client. Just like a dent in the walls inside or a screwed up brick couirse right in front of the home.

Jay Markanich Guest

Michael - it almost looks like they started from the top and bottom and met in the middle! They could have put a gold spike to note the last course... joking.

It seems like an unprofessional job to me. I would have reported it as such. Is there apparent leaking? I don't know how that funky, short course in the middle will affect anything, except aesthetically, but anything that appears unprofessional always worries me. The weird shingle course between the dormers contributes to the idea of unprofessional installation.

I think I would have reported that as my suspicion and recommended two things - a professional roofer look-see and future monitoring for leaks.

The creative fireplace dampering is interesting too. Is that parging inside the flue a repair or original? If so, seeing perhaps original wrapping paper (?), did they simply never use the fireplace?

Last edited by Jay Markanich; 11-05-2008 at 03:02 AM. Reason: additional commentary

Richard Pultar Guest

at least it's more coverage ... just more tract house quality ..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Michael,

How did you report it?
    Went with the fact that most manufacturers caution against reduced exposure:

Michael Thomas

Frank Suchodolski Guest

The work was done by some-one inexperienced or, and more likely, someone who really doesn't care. Maybe a sub-contractor that gets paid piece work. There really is no excuse, but I haven't yet seen these kind of blunders leak and unless you're looking for it, or point it out, the average home owner will not notice.
    If the consumer, be it builder or homeowner, does not know enough about the job, in this case roofing, hire a professional "Consultant" to ensure that you get what you pay for.

Frank Suchodolski,
    High Profile Roof Care Inc.
    High Profile Roof Care Inc. - Roof Contracting Services | Consulting & Project Management - Maple Ridge, BC

Last edited by Frank Suchodolski; 08-25-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Steve Lowery Guest

Michael, what's happening @ that left side of the crown?

Frank Suchodolski Guest

It is a poor transition from a vented ridge detail to a regular ridge. The vented ridge should be capped.

Frank Suchodolski,
    High Profile Roof Care Inc.

Last edited by Frank Suchodolski; 08-25-2010 at 08:18 AM.

branden wilson Guest

you guys are leaving something out when you're trying to figure out why this happened. the people who build, buy and sell these so called "high dollar" homes put no care whatsoever into their roofs at the build stage. builders and owners of mcmansions always insist on the cheapest roof along with the cheapest contractors. i only deal with permanent roofing so i don't even see people like that. i still get the same thing on 20 million dollar homes though. it all has to do with the customer or homeowner. reguardless of the size and price of a home a wise owner will search for truth instead of just reading ads when searching for a new roof. wise people will consider things like life cycle costing before being so quick to use words like cheap and expensive. i get calls to slate roofs small and big but one thing's for sure, the people who get my number have done their homework. the opposite of the mainstream.