Ed Sowell Guest

Default Is my TIF 8800 any good?

I recently bought a TIF 8800 Combustible Gas Leak detector on eBay and would like to know if it's working right. My purpose is to pinpoint leaks in the fuel system of my car, but since I believe this instrument is often used by HVAC inspectors to detect gas leaks etc. I thought I'd ask here.

The calibration procedure is to start with the sensitivity knob full counterclockwise, where after a 30-second warmup will produce a low frequency clicking. Then in an open space slowly turn the knob clockwise which will cause the clicking rate to increase, indicating a higher sensitivity. With my unit the frequency doesn't increase smoothly. Rather, it seems to change very little, then at some point it starts sort of screeching. If I stop at that point it settles down to clicking again, but if it's at a higher rate than before I reached the screeching I can't tell. Doesn't seem right. OTOH, it does seem to detect fuel. E.g., if I hold it over the open fuel filler neck on the car it really shreiks.

So, is it supposed to act like that? I figure only someone who uses one of these thing would know. Any thoughts appreciated.

Ed

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Is my TIF 8800 any good?

Are the batteries new or old and how long did you charge them up? I have 3 - Tiff8800 for sale from my HVAC business still but they need new batteries. If the batteries are not very good it will and can act like you have described. There is also a tip that you can replace in the end of the sensor. The new batteries are about $40.00
    Get new batteries, change the filter tip, charge for over 24 hours! Give that a try.

Last edited by Dan Hagman; 11-06-2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo

Ed Sowell Guest

Thanks, Dan. One of the batteries that came with it was bad so I got a new pair. Also charged them 24 hours. Each battery read2 about 2.8 volts now. Still acts about the same way. But yesterday I called Tech Support at TIF and let the tech listen while I did the calibration. He said it sounded OK to him. I'll work with it a bit and see if it does what I want it to do, namely pinpoint the source of fuel odors in the boot of my Jaguar.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sowell View Post
    if it does what I want it to do, namely pinpoint the source of fuel odors in the boot of my Jaguar.

Ed,

Forget the TIF 8800 ... now we are getting somewhere ... what year/model Jag? Maybe I can help, maybe not.

I've currently got one, and have had six others over the past 42 years.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ed Sowell Guest

Hi Jerry,

It's a '76 XJ-S. Take a look at

Ed's Jaguar

As you know, Jaguar likes to put fuel tanks in the boot, along with a sump tank, fuel tank, and hoses all over the place. I have done everything imaginable to get rid of the fuel odors, including replacing the tank all hoses, literally everything. Even put dye in the fuel, which did identify some weeping fittings but still gets smelly.

Where are you located? Belong to a local club? Ever hang out at Jag-lovers - the most visited Jaguar enthusiast site on the Planet!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sowell View Post
    Hi Jerry,

It's a '76 XJ-S.
    I've got a 1983 XJS.

As you know, Jaguar likes to put fuel tanks in the boot, along with a sump tank, fuel tank, and hoses all over the place. I have done everything imaginable to get rid of the fuel odors, including replacing the tank all hoses, literally everything. Even put dye in the fuel, which did identify some weeping fittings but still gets smelly.
    Probably the vapor recovery system.

If yours is like mine, there are two hoses from the tank to the vapor separator in the rear bonnet which separate any liquid out of the vapor - these two hoses go to/from the tank/separator semi-isolated (best term I can think of to explain it) from the vapor hose. There is also a third vapor hose from the tank to the vapor separator which is semi-isolated from the other two hoses, this hose goes to a chamber which has a hose which runs to the charcoal canister under the left front wing.

I've got the same 'gasoline smell' issues with mine.

I've had a smoke test done which did not allow any smoke into the rear bonnet, it came out the vent of the charcoal canister under the front wing.

The Jaguar guy I take mine to (Bob Seller's Jaguar, Bob went to Jaguar school for repair and has been working on them since 1984) said it is probably the charcoal canister, it may be clogged after this number of years. I have not replaced it yet as I can suction air through the charcoal (but maybe not as fast as it should move through it?)

I am going to (I should have done this when I had the tank out) seal the right flying buttress up with foam rubber. Once I put the tank back in, I realized I had cut off my access to that opening from in the bonnet. My next access will have to be removing the B pillar liner and stuffing it in through the openings in the inner sheet metal - hoping there are some large enough to do so through.

Where are you located?
    Ormond Beach, Florida, right next to Daytona Beach.

Belong to a local club?
    Not yet, I just got this Jag about 7 months ago and looked on the internet, but all the local clubs seem to be tied into a master club out of Jacksonville which seems to be tied in under some other club. I want a local club.

No, but I will need to check them out.

These are the Jaguars I've owned in the past:

1954 XK 140 - owned 1970-72, rebuilt from ground up, body off frame-up rebuild (not restored, I adapted the front to open like an E-Type, if you ever see one like that, it was probably mine)

1954 MK VII - owned 1967-69

1959 MK - owned 1971-72

1960 MK II - owned 1971-72

1967 E Type - owned 1984-1993

1972 XJ 6 - owned 1990-1992

I drove a 1933 SS (this: Jag-lovers brochures - an SS Cars Brochure Page - the right hand cars, upper two, looked liked those) around downtown Gainesville back in 1986, almost bought it back then, but I was going through a divorce and, as typical when that happens, 'had no money' - could have bought it for $10,000. Oh, well, at least I got to drive it and have that memory, which is more than most people have.

I drove a 1957 D-Type at Sebring in 1966, just down the parking lot and back, after the 'Antique' race car 'race'. Now, anyone who has a real D-Type would never drive it around the Sebring track 'at speed', but back then, it was 'just another old race car'. Who woulda thunk?

Almost bought a Maserati Birdcage which raced at Sebring (didn't make it, spun out and crashed - read end damage) ... as my first car. Oh well, I've 'just missed' a lot of cars like that.

Oh well, thinking of the 'weird' cars I have owned and the ones I 'almost' owned brings back many great memories.

Ed, I forgot to add: I have the front bonnet from Group 44 IMSA GTP number 44 car hanging from my garage ceiling, well, most of it anyway, one side corner is broken off where Chip Robertson damaged in it in the 24 hours of Daytona in 1985, I was able to talk the pit crew guys out of it.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jerry Peck; 11-06-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: added photos
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com