Jerome W. Young Guest

Default Rusting Galvanized flashing

home is 2006, what could the problem be? what should I recommend here?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jerome W. Young; 11-06-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: no picture
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Rusting Galvanized flashing

Jerome,

Photos?

Where is the house located?

Near the ocean? Near the Intra-coastal? Between the two?

It is quite possible that the flashings should have been copper.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerome W. Young Guest

The house was out by I95 in on of those gated communities. I did not see this problem on the neighboring houses.

It is salt air or the roofers spilled something corrosive on it before the shingles where installed and wiped it off. I would just sand it, prime and paint. What was above that area anything that could cause corrosive results? Was there a brick chimney that might of got acid washed?

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Jerome,

Did you lift those shingles? Looks like it is running out from underneath the shingles. That would be one of those 'not good' things.

If not running out from under the shingles, maybe the roofers scratched it all up, scratching the galvanized coating off? Or maybe it was just not properly galvanized coated to begin with.

*I* would recommend replacing it, especially on a 2 year old house.

I know ... *holy crap, Jerry, you know what that is going to cost?* ... "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a ... " what it costs - *I* think it needs to be replaced, and *I* don't want my client to have to pay to replace it in 2 years 'when they sell'.

But that's just me, I guess.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    *holy crap, Jerry, you know what that is going to cost?* ... "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a ... " what it costs - *I* think it needs to be replaced, and *I* don't want my client to have to pay to replace it in 2 years 'when they sell'.
    Don't be so hard on yourself JP.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Could have used the wrong type of fasteners causing a galvanic reaction leading to the corrosion as well.

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

I doubt if it's the fasteners. Steel, galvanize, copper, stainless none of those would of done it. Usually roofing nails are used. You would nail along the leading edge not through the metal but right up against it where the head catches the outer edge.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Galvanized sheet metal is coated with zinc. Remove the zinc coating and the iron underneath will rust. In this case as evidenced by the photo the flashing could be a damaged because it appears to be a used piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    You would nail along the leading edge not through the metal but right up against it where the head catches the outer edge.
    In most of Florida, due to high wind events (yeah, those thingys ) the valley metal is nailed directly through to the sheathing. If not, the first thing which one would lose would be the valley metal, and that would not be a good thing to happen.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerome W. Young Guest

another area of same house

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Darrel Hood Guest

The second photo also looks like the rusting is occurring under the shingles. Until that observation, I would have thought it was no big deal. However, if it is occurring under the shingles AND is not occurring on nearby homes, I suggest they get a reputable roofer to find the source. Then they may have a decision to make.

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Frank Suchodolski Guest

First thing, I'm not a big fan of the cut valley on any shingle roof, especially with laminate shingles. Any time you bend a laminate shingle things can go wrong, such as the lamination coming apart. It looks like the valley is letting water through. Does that piece of galvinized metal extend up along entire valley as underlay? The usual underlay is #30 asphaltic felt in the valley and #15 felt throughout. An open "W" profile metal (Pre-painted steel or Galvalum, 26 gauge) valley flashing.

Frank Suchodolski, High Profile Roof Care Inc.

Last edited by Frank Suchodolski; 08-25-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Adding info

Ted Menelly Guest

Just plain ole cheap galvanize job on the metal. 2006 home with rust like that it has to be junk flashing. Of course it may be because the home is on a 60 by 60 rock in the middle of the Atlantic some where with the waves breaking over the roof..