Default FUNERAL HOME AND CEMETARY INSPECTION

hey all this is a first

have been hired to inspect office building at cemetary and masoliem--probable spelled wrong--it has 100 plots---then the funeral home with crematoral room --prep room and the works
    have called health department--state office and city and county officials to see what has to be done on the environment side

anyone done this before----big job $3000---will take two days-i hope

help anyone

charlie

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: FUNERAL HOME AND CEMETARY INSPECTION

do i need any repleant

Charlie,

I have actually inspected several funeral homes that have been bought out by larger furneral home companies.

How I got that business I don't know.

Actually, I look at them as if any other structure. I can assure you that it is a creepy atmosphere to be in. Don't let your mind wander too much. If you can have someone else with you just to have a "live" one with you.

The prep room have a lot of plumbing and I suggest that you wear a Hazmat type suit with clothes and a facial mask while inspecting it.

The coolers I'd recommend that you recommend a HVAC contractor do that part of the inspection if your not real comfortable doing do.

Never had to inspect a cemetary though. What are you looking for? Maybe sprinklers, drainage.....

Best of Luck.

rick

I have also done several funeral homes. It was creepy when I did the embalming room, because there was a body in there being worked on.
    When I was doing the crawlspace, there was a family inside doing setting up a funeral. I could hear them talking when I was underneath.
    I had to really contain myself to keep from bumping the floor and making noises. I still laugh to myself about that day.

yes, I am sick.

I was involved in a Phase II inspection on a building across the street and down the hill from a large cemetery. Soil samples came back with abnormal levels of arsenic. Apparently arsenic was used to help preserve the body back in the 1800's up to around the 1930's. The cemetery was up hill from the property that was being inspected but the ground water had carried the arsenic down the hill to the property.

After a geologist and other folks with titles I can't pronounce did some research, they found that this is a common problem with old cemeteries.

The cemetery is the National Cemetery in Vicksburg MS and had solders buried in it from the War of Northern Aggression, Spanish American, WWI, WWII, Korean and Vietnam.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Richard Stanley Guest

"War of Northern Aggression"
    Ha! Never heard it called that before.

Scott,

We had such a thing here with comtaminated water from drainage from a cemetary. The cemetary was built on a large hill and has a creek running along the edge of the property. People kept complaining of a fail odor around this creekbed. After the soil and water was tested, well you can quess what they found.

They immediately started doing all of this major drainage around this cemetary and now require burials to have caskets placed in vaults.

Having had family in the funeral business, I have seen what caskets buried in the soil look like when they are exhumed. After seeing such, you'd understand the soil comtamination problem.

In Texas it is also against the law to scatter ashes from cremation on any public or state property.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Scott,

We had such a thing here with comtaminated water from drainage from a cemetary. The cemetary was built on a large hill and has a creek running along the edge of the property. People kept complaining of a fail odor around this creekbed. After the soil and water was tested, well you can quess what they found.

They immediately started doing all of this major drainage around this cemetary and now require burials to have caskets placed in vaults.

Having had family in the funeral business, I have seen what caskets buried in the soil look like when they are exhumed. After seeing such, you'd understand the soil comtamination problem.

In Texas it is also against the law to scatter ashes from cremation on any public or state property.

rick
    Ok Rick

I was having a good mornig until you brought the tought to mind about being a rotting corpse. Not a pretty thought

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    The cemetery is the National Cemetery in Vicksburg MS and had solders buried in it from the War of Northern Aggression, Spanish American, WWI, WWII, Korean and Vietnam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post
    "War of Northern Aggression"
    Ha! Never heard it called that before.
    Actually, it was the War of Southern Regression.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Or, as it is called in SC
    "That bit of unpleasant history"

Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

Speaking of the CW, I just found what is called a "Drop". It is a mini-ball/bullet that did not hit anything. The town I live in Spring Hill, TN was host to a large civil war battle. Folks are always finding things around the area. Well, just today I decided to go look at a large lot that was just cleared for a new Kroger's and I found a "Drop". We had a large rain storm last night and it was just sitting out it in the open.

This battle of Spring Hill was part of the Battle of Franklin and Nashville.

What is even more amazing when you think about it is that this is about 145 years old.

We found another one yesterday. I'm starting to think I would find more if I took out the old metal detector. Problem with that is then other folks see you and soon you have a dozens of folks searching.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Scott Patterson; 11-09-2008 at 09:22 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com