Thread: HVAC Questions

Robert Runchey Guest

Default HVAC Questions

I looked at a 2 year old Amana furnace the other day and had a few questions. This is most likely a dumb question but I'll ask anyway, do all furnaces have filters? or are there exceptions? I noticed this furnace also had an ultraviolet devise (UVS System) built into the duct work. Does the the UVS system take the place of a conventional filter? One more question... I could see quite a few holes in the ductwork from the bright internal light. Should these be sealed?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: HVAC Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Runchey View Post
    I looked at a 2 year old Amana furnace the other day and had a few questions. This is most likely a dumb question but I'll ask anyway, do all furnaces have filters? or are there exceptions? I noticed this furnace also had an ultraviolet devise (UVS System) built into the duct work. Does the the UVS system take the place of a conventional filter? One more question... I could see quite a few holes in the ductwork from the bright internal light. Should these be sealed?
    Robert,

As far as I know, all furnaces should have filters. This keeps particulates from getting into the furnace as well as from being circulated throughout the house.

I believe the ultraviolet will kill bacteria, but will do nothing for the particulate. Still needs a filter.

In California, ducts are required to be sealed and tested for leaks. Wouldn't know about Wisconsin, but I would recommend it in my report.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Runchey View Post
    do all furnaces have filters? or are there exceptions?
    Yes and not that I know of, however, the filters 'could be' at the different returns air grilles.

Does the the UVS system take the place of a conventional filter?
    No, the filter removes particles and UV is germicidal, one (UV) supplements the other (filters).

I could see quite a few holes in the ductwork from the bright internal light. Should these be sealed?
    Yes.

On thing to remember with UV is that it will deteriorate plastic condensate pans, electrical wiring insulation, etc.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Robert Runchey Guest

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. It's always great to get feedback from this group.

Bob Runchey

FWIW, and I mention this to my clients when there is a UV light in the furnace, I've been told that the UV effectiveness goes down long before the light goes out. In other words, just because the thing is producing visible light, don't assume it's killing micro-organisms.
    I don't know what the actual life expectancy is.

I read one manufacturer's manual which had a warning to shield line-of-sight vision of the high intensity ultraviolet light from their unit and place it 24" back from any vent opening, as it could cause damage to your eyes, so a caution warning to new owners and a recommendation to seal duct openings would also go in my report.