Default creepy source of heat

Inspection Referral
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

MaMa Mount Guest

Default Re: creepy source of heat

THATS ABOUT THE MOST DIGUSTING THING I HAVE EVER HEARD OF. WE CAN GO TO THE FUNERAL AND THEN COME HOME AND ENJOY THE WARMTH OF OUR LOVED ONE COMING FROM THE DUCTS. THOSE SWEDES NEED TO KEEP TO THIER KNIFE MAKING.

Ashes to ashes, and dust to dust, my friend. What a great way to recycle.

Great way to have a heated discussion with your deceased spouse.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    Great way to have a heated discussion with your deceased spouse.
    Choice.

Joel Anderson Guest

So would that be considered "Going Green"? I guess they'll never really run out of a heat source.....

Think I'll stick to natural gas.

Kevin Barre Guest

FWIW, I would have to believe that the human body has way too much water (and other not-readily-combustible things) to produce heat as it burns. In other words, it would take more BTU's from a source such as natural gas to consume the body than the action would release. It's been way too long since HS physics, but I believe the reaction would be properly termed endothermic. So in reality, you're not producing heat from the cremation, but merely reclaiming some of what would otherwise be waste heat released into the environment. You don't need to worry that they'll start burning "nearly dead" folks to generate heat.

Personally, I have no problem with it. If it somehow offends anyone who wishes to be cremated, I'm sure they can opt out. Perhaps you could be set adrift on a raft piled high with burning logs, Viking-style instead. Oh wait...that would pollute the waterways. Never mind.

Lastly...the "heated discussion" comment was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Barre View Post
    FWIW, I would have to believe that the human body has way too much water (and other not-readily-combustible things) to produce heat as it burns. In other words, it would take more BTU's from a source such as natural gas to consume the body than the action would release.
    PRECISELY!

And, all that heat required to cremate a human body can be used to also produce heat.

No where in there are they contemplating using the burning body to produce heat, just simply that they can get a secondary use out of the heat needed to cremate the body.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Maybe they understand human combustion better then we do

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 12-25-2008 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Maybe they understand human combustion better then we do
    Ron,

Hmmm ... maybe they are thinking "spontaneous"?

As in "spontaneous human combustion" ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Having just gone through this process I have some facts about cremation (from the pamphlet).

It takes about 2.5 - 3 hours with an operating temperature of 1500 - 1600 degrees F. Then there is a cool down cycle.

I think if they can somehow harness the energy from the cremation and put it to good use, they are way ahead of the game.

If you'll remember in the movie "This Is Spinal Tap" the band had a problem with their drummers spontaneously combusting.

What a waste it is to lose one's drummer especially when no plans were made to recover the wasted heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Having just gone through this process I have some facts about cremation...
    !!!!!

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Michael,

I think what Jack was saying that he has some knowledge on the subject because his mother recently passed away and was cremated.

I don't think Jack himself went through the cremation himself, although we hadn't heard from him lately.

Cremation is a strange thing for sure. My inlaws both chose to be cremated and it was a strange thing to go through at the time. My father in law was the first one to go. After the funeral home called us to pick up his remains, both my wife and brother in law did not know really what to do with them because what their father had asked to do with his remains was actually against the law. Seems you can't scatter one's cremated remains on public property as he had requested. So he remained in a cardboard box about the size of a 5lb. box of mortar patch comes in and was ontop of a shelf in my office closet for about 2 yrs. Yeah, it go kind of weird. I would come into the office everyday and say hello to him.

Then next comes my mother in law. My wife and her brother decide they wish to scatter her remains on top of the grave of her mother out in some country cemetary. We drive down there and do so.

We happen to be back down that way a few month latter and my wife just had to go by the cemetary. This was about 4 months after we had scattered the remains and we were in a drought at the time. Sure enough, there was the ash type remains exactly as we had left them on top of the ground. As I was standing there looking at them being the curious inspector type I am, I noticed something shiny.

My wife had wandered off looking at the other grave sites so I reached down to see what it was. It was part of a gold denture inplant that had been my mother in laws. You talk about freaky.

It made me really wonder just how hot those crematorium units really do get as it did not melt the gold and metal in that denture implant.

I placed it in a crack in the ground and said nothing till now.

Shhhh......

Strange subject I know. Went way too far on this one.

rick