Default You know the pilot has nerves of steel when he can land this safely

And that he *really* "knows how to fly".

YouTube - THE BEST AIR RACE PILOT EVER!!!

Is it real or, as they used to say in the commercials ... does only his hair dresser know?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Wes Carlisle Guest

Default Re: You know the pilot has nerves of steel when he can land this safely

Debunked! It's fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Carlisle View Post
    Debunked! It's fake.
    Show me where it is debunked.

To my knowledge many 'think it is' a fake, but no proof, just suspicions.

Nonetheless, 'it is possible' with sufficient power to weight ratio, such as one would have in an aerobatic plane like that.

I've seen people saying 'yes, it is possible', and others saying 'it is a fake'.

I know 'it is possible', where do we 'know it is fake'?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Show me where it is debunked.

To my knowledge many 'think it is' a fake, but no proof, just suspicions.

Nonetheless, 'it is possible' with sufficient power to weight ratio, such as one would have in an aerobatic plane like that.

I've seen people saying 'yes, it is possible', and others saying 'it is a fake'.

I know 'it is possible', where do we 'know it is fake'?

Debunked
    YouTube - DEBUNKED: The Best Air Race Pilot Ever!!!

There is no way a plane can fly let alone land as demonstrated missing a wing.

I thought it was fake when I saw this clip a week ago. In my opinion this is a model airplane cleverly doctored and edited to give the appearance it was a safe landing.

Remember everytime an airplane lands it considered to be a "controlled crash"!

Bob Spermo Guest

I am a retired pilot with over 5000 hours in jet fighters including landing an F-16 with the engine flamed out. I have seen an F-15 land with half a wing missing albeit at a very high speed! I have seen fighters land with part of the veritical stabilizer missing. But I have never seen one land with an entire wing missing. I think the jury is still out on the authenticity of this feat of airmanship!

It don't think that the second video debunks the first one at all.

He just proved that 2 different airplanes did the same thing!

Its convenient how the focus of the camera goes out at critical points in the video.

Me still thinks its a model airplane interlaced with actual footage.

Do you ever watch May Day?

Jerry,

I'd rather be in a car riding with guy than being in that plane.

Watch for the guy at the end on the Sedgeway.

YouTube - Ken Block Gymkhana Practice

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Jerry,

I'd rather be in a car riding with guy than being in that plane.

Watch for the guy at the end on the Sedgeway.

YouTube - Ken Block Gymkhana Practice

Rick

I would pay dearly for the privilege to use that vehicle on that field. I would not get out till I ran out of gas. In my younger years it was an adrenaline rush. I think I need that one more time. Had a smile on my face thru the whole video.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    There is no way a plane can fly let alone land as demonstrated missing a wing.
    Then this is fake too?

YouTube - F-15 landing with one wing. Real story.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
    It don't think that the second video debunks the first one at all.
    I agree.

He just proved that 2 different airplanes did the same thing!
    He did not even do that.

Several of his comparisons did not take into account the difference in the viewing angle from the camera to the airplane.

As Bob said "I think the jury is still out on the authenticity of this feat of airmanship!"

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

No, but the answer given was that if you fly fast enough and have wide body (jet) you don't need wings.

Big difference too in my opinion between a prop driven airplane and a jet with after burner on.

We don't need no stinking wings, we will flap our arms and fly by the seat of our pants.

Cheers,

Jim Zborowski Guest

I'm keeping an open mind. Airspeed, density altitude, wing loading, aircraft altitude, thrust, wing configuration, wind speed / direction, winds aloft, control surface size, ( which are generally larger on aerobatic planes ) all factor in. It could be that he was able to slip the plane to a landing as in the video. ( In a slip, you turn the ailerons into the wind as if turning, the apply hard opposite rudder, thereby causing the plane to "slip:" sideways.

Jerry,

Look at the difference in distance between the leading edge of the wing and the prop on the two planes - no way that could be an artifact of the viewing angle.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

No, but the answer given was that if you fly fast enough and have wide body (jet) you don't need wings.
    With sufficient power to weight, you don't need to stinkin' wings!

Think back to those old experimental VTOL prototypes which stood on their tail, propeller at the top, and took off straight up.

Then go back to that airplane and visualize the propeller pulling the airplane up, gravity pulling the airplane down, and the angle of the airplane and propeller pulling it in the direction the airplane is leaning ... let it lean too far (back off on power) and it falls to earth, give it more power (if there is more power to give) and the airplane rights itself and becomes vertical.

Not saying that airplane had enough power to pull it vertical, but, with sufficient power, it would hang in the air like a helicopter until it ran out of fuel.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

A plane without wings is a rocket. But I do understand the aerodynamics you are talking about.

Guess I watch too many episodes of May Day.

With sufficient power to weight, you don't need to stinkin' wings!
    Like these (I was sure I could find a few on the internet, I have a book of unusual aircraft and these are in it, along with some others).

Unreal Aircraft - Beating Gravity - Lockheed XFV-1 Salmon ( unrealaircraft.com )

Unreal Aircraft - Beating Gravity - Convair XFY-1 Pogo

Unreal Aircraft - Beating Gravity - SNECMA C.450-01 Coléoptère

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A plane without wings is a rocket.
    Without wings, a single propeller would also rotate the aircraft, however, with one wing, that rotation would be dramatically reduced, hang that wing down and you could eliminate that rotation, thus, with sufficient skill - and power - that airplane could achieve 'wings level flight' ... er ... make that 'wing level flight'.

With the F-15 fighter, there is no rotation effect from a spinning propeller, so 'wing level flight' was much easier to achieve.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks for links Jerry. Good ones.

Here is one of my all time favourites although its not vertical take off, its a beauty.

Archival footage
    YouTube - ARROW 201 Takes Off

Mock up
    YouTube - AVRO Arrow Tam's Memorial Arrow Role Out

Cheers,

Jerry,

I know you love aviation and such, but since your civil reputation is at stake, you may want to re-think your position and on-line comments concerning this "enhanced" video.

When all the dust settles, all these comments will be forever viewable, even during a "Litigation Consultant" meeting.

As a FABI member, I'd prefer your inspector's reputation to remain untarnished.

Dom.

Ted Menelly Guest

I went to air frame and power plant school 30 plus, plus years ago.

In the picture of the plane being so close to the ground with the prop sticking straight up and then the quick spin around into a circle down to the ground perfectly level and landing perfectly with out the weight of the wing that was still on tilting the plane to the left and not to mention the fact that when the wing ripped off the controls would have become junk instantly

And, and, and, and, and, and, need I go on.

If it could have actually happened then Jerry should believe in one of those Gods he loves so much

I thought one of the other give aways was the "bounce" when it landed. It bounced real good!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Jerry,

I know you love aviation and such, but since your civil reputation is at stake, you may want to re-think your position and on-line comments concerning this "enhanced" video.

When all the dust settles, all these comments will be forever viewable, even during a "Litigation Consultant" meeting.

As a FABI member, I'd prefer your inspector's reputation to remain untarnished.

Dom.
    Dom,

So ... you are saying I would not be good as an aviation litigator?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Dom,

So ... you are saying I would not be good as an aviation litigator?

We all have to play to our strengths...

While I was looking at the different videos, and new ones come up, there was a series on one winged landings with RC planes. There was one, that looked almost identical to the first one in the way the wing came off and his landing (obviously a different plane, it was yellow).

I tend to think the first video was probably a RC plane and a cut to a real plane at the end. Especially the bounce.

But then, I know nothing about RC planes, and don't know how to fly a plane. I'm also not that great at video camera work, editing.

Wes Carlisle Guest

I suppose it could happen, however, it looks animated when it lands.

This one looks more believable.

YouTube - Plane Loses Wing In Mid Flight

Ernie Schreiber Guest

I had my blind monkey watch the video and he says it's fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Schreiber View Post
    I had my blind monkey watch the video ...
    Having a "blind monkey watch" a video is incredible enough, but ...

and he says it's fake.
    ... to have a talking blind monkey who can watch videos ... THAT IS SOMETHING TO BRAG ABOUT!

You Da Man!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yep, I bet that this one is real too.

YouTube - Jet Airplane Crash Makes Forced Water Landing (HQ)

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/