Brian Thomas Guest

Default Pics of new houses

I am having a discussion with a friend of mine that thinks because a house is new, it doesnt need an inspection. I, of course, disagree with him. I would like to show him some pictures of new houses that you guys have inspected where the builders cut corners.

So if anyone has any pics of new homes they have inspected out there, can you please post them here so I can show him that he couldnt be more wrong
    'Thanks

p.s. I dont know about you guys but i get alot of laughs out of these kind of pictures. Its funny to see what these builders try and get away with.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Pics of new houses

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    I am having a discussion with a friend of mine that thinks because a house is new, it doesnt need an inspection. I, of course, disagree with him. I would like to show him some pictures of new houses that you guys have inspected where the builders cut corners.

So if anyone has any pics of new homes they have inspected out there, can you please post them here so I can show him that he couldnt be more wrong
    'Thanks

p.s. I dont know about you guys but i get alot of laughs out of these kind of pictures. Its funny to see what these builders try and get away with.
    Visit my Hall of Shame New home construction problems

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Brian Thomas Guest

Thanks scott. I rememeber seeing some of these in your previous posts. These are classics!

Everyone else, please feel free to contribute too

New home less than one year old.

Photo 1. No junction box behind strip light in bathrooms and kitchen ceiling. There was also no framing behind the light strip to secure a junction box. Wires just pulled through hole in drywall.

Photo 2. Bridging not nailed.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Almost every new house I inspect has practically no attic ventilation. Sure, the soffits are vented, but the insulation is pushed tight to the eaves.

I guess the local AHJ isn't climbing into the attic, what a surprise that is.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Almost every new house I inspect has practically no attic ventilation. Sure, the soffits are vented, but the insulation is pushed tight to the eaves.

I guess the local AHJ isn't climbing into the attic, what a surprise that is.

For a while I was finding good ventilation from the eves but minimul on the roof. Now I am finding pretty decent ventilation in all attics. One builder west of me use to have plenty of eve vents and no roof vents stating that it is not necessary because it hampers heating in the winter. Hello, we have an 8 to 9 month cooling season here and should I mention you are not building to the basic standards. Those were my words after the third home and he came back at me. He wound up fixing all the homes he built.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

The walking space of this hallway was nearly 10 inches too short. It needed to be at least 36 inches.

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    The walking space of this hallway was nearly 10 inches too short. It needed to be at least 36 inches.
    Nick. Did they change it?

Ken Bates Guest

You don't need to defend your position RE: NEW with examples and photos.

One WORD will suffice.

TITANIC

http://.www.aceinspect.com

Jim Zborowski Guest

BUT..............................The problem with the Titanic wasn't that it was a new ship............the problem was that it was an OLD iceburg

Eric Shuman Guest

I found this issue on six new homes I inspected this year. Any more doubt? By the way, this was one photo of 2 in the same house of the same issue.

Eric

P.s. I had to add the second photo because it was such a beauty! Different house...

Last edited by Eric Shuman; 11-16-2008 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Zborowski View Post
    BUT..............................The problem with the Titanic wasn't that it was a new ship............the problem was that it was an OLD iceburg
    Would not have mattered had the Titanic been an OLD ship and the iceberg a NEW iceberg ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com