Default Winterized Foreclosure

I did an inspection today for a realtor that is buying a foreclosure that a bank owns. The house can been winterized 11-5-08 with stickers everywhere. I did the inspection looking at the outside and attic, interior and all parts that I could inspect without the water and electricity on. The realtor wants me to come back and finish the inspection when she trys to get the water and power on. I am thinking that whoever winterized it should come dewinterize it. I have read pass post on the subject that were posted last year but things may be different now. Could someone inject some help here please

Jim Murphy

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Winterized Foreclosure

Jim, I don't think it really matters who does the dewinterization of the system. As long as they are familiar/experienced with the process and do it properly is what matters. And the process should be done and completed BEFORE you go back to complete the inspection (at an additional cost of course ).

Hi Jim,

You can check the plumbing pipes to see if they hold pressure without having the water turned on. Some people disconnect all the plumbing lines to toilets and sinks when they winterize a house so make sure these are all connected prior to turning on the water or you can have a big clean up on your hands.

Had one HUD house that was winterized unfortunately they winterized it after the pipes had already frozen and burst. had to replace the copper all the way up to the second floor.

Steve Reilly

Ron Bibler Guest

I see a lot of toilet that stick from sitting with mold on them. these parts in the tank can break if you push it... the same with all the faucets in a home. dish washer if its been sitting for some time look out . get the agent to sign off that you assume no part of the inspection if you are going to go around and turned on all the faucets and toilets, dishwasher. if something sticks or will not shut off you got a problem.

Best

Ron