Chris Taylor Guest

Default Garage to house door...what passes?

Door between the house and garage?
    I'm new to this site and need to see if I can get some help with a problem which I'm having.

On the door between the house and garage what passes? I know what the 2006 IRC 309.1 says, but still have questions.

What is a 1-3/8" solid core wood door(like the code states)? Is a 6 panel pine acceptable, what about a solid core 6 panel 1-3/8" masonite? Or is it saying that the door needs to be a 1-3/8" solid core birch with no panels.

HELP!!!!!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Garage to house door...what passes?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor View Post
    What is a 1-3/8" solid core wood door(like the code states)? Is a 6 panel pine acceptable, what about a solid core 6 panel 1-3/8" masonite? Or is it saying that the door needs to be a 1-3/8" solid core birch with no panels.
    Chris,

First, let's read what it really states:
    From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)
    - R309.1 Opening protection. Openings from a private garage
    directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted.
    Other openings between the garage and residence shall
    be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35
    mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less
    than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.

The underlined part is key: "not less than ... in thickness" or "not less than ... thick".

Panel doors do not meet that minimum thickness requirement, only their top, bottom and center rails, and their latch side, hinge side and center stiles are "not less than ... " 1-3/8 inches " ... in thickness" as the panel section of the door is thinner around the panels.

However, you have now raised a good question: Is a 1-3/8" "solid core" door the same as a 1-3/8" "solid wood" door?

The commentary seems to imply that answer is "No.":
    (underlining is mine)
    - Openings to sleeping rooms from garages are not allowed, since a person might not wake up in time if there was a hazard from carbon monoxide fumes or smoke from the garage. Openings from the garage are only permitted into rooms that are not used for sleeping purposes. Those openings must be protected by the installation of a door complying with the provisions of this section. 1 3/8-inch (35 mm) thick solid wood doors, solid or honeycomb steel doors and 20-minute fire rated doors are the only acceptable doors for use in the opening between the garage and the dwelling unit.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 11-18-2008 at 07:01 PM.
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com