Default Gas meter access.

Remodeled home today, rear porch was extended over the gas meter. The access panel opening is less than 22" by 24" (UPC 1209.5) probably not relavent but IRC has nothing I could find.

The 2006 N.C. Fuel Gas Code 401.9 states
    "Accessible and Acceptable Location
    A meter location, when required, shall be provided for the building or premises to be served. Gas metes shall be readily accessivle for inspection, reading, and replacement. Location, space requirements, dimensions, and type of installation shall be acceptable to the gas company."

(Code man speak with forked tongue)

What do I put in the report? "Recommend letter of acceptable installation be obtained from the gas co. prior to cllosing."?

Thoughts......anyone!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Gas meter access.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Remodeled home today, rear porch was extended over the gas meter. The access panel opening is less than 22" by 24" (UPC 1209.5) probably not relavent but IRC has nothing I could find.

A meter location, when required, shall be provided for the building or premises to be served. Gas metes shall be readily accessivle for inspection, reading, and replacement. Location, space requirements, dimensions, and type of installation shall be acceptable to the gas company."

(Code man speak with forked tongue)

What do I put in the report? "Recommend letter of acceptable installation be obtained from the gas co. prior to closing."?

Thoughts......anyone!
    The utility company has the final say in the matter.

You could report it just like you wrote. One thing however, I doubt they will get a letter from anyone saying it is OK. Might be best to simply tell them it is under the deck and that they should check with the gas company to see if that location is OK.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

mitch buchanan Guest

Thumbs up Re: Gas meter access.

Vern,
    Your verbige sounds good to me to protect your buyer and you. Here in KY, the gas company is king - they can come into an existing home that met all gas, etc. codes when built (even fairly new ones -less than 10 years old) and after a meter upgrade, demand venting changes or they red tag/turn off gas! That happened to a client of mine, and I had to explain how the gas appliance was code approved in the past (inspection tag on water heater), codes changed later and she had to do what they said. Needless to say, she wasn't happy and somehow it was my fault! Oh well...

That meter location would not be acceptable in our area. The meter has to be accessible to the service person. They would not be lifting any decking material to be able to read the meter or to turn off / on the service.

I'd probably say that seller built that deck right over the meter without making a single call to the gas provider.

rick

Remodeled home today, rear porch was extended over the gas meter.

Location, space requirements,

Thoughts......anyone!
    Utility Company may be King ( But I find it hard to believe they were Consulted Before this Porch was Erected Over The Gas Meter.)
    see page 3 of attachment for 6 feet requirement for overhang ( does not even meet 3 feet to electrical outlet.)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Billy Stephens; 11-19-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: 3 feet added
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

How and who is reading the meter?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    How and who is reading the meter?
    Most all of the water, gas & electric is read by radio signal from the meter to a meter reader driving down the street. They seldom go to the meter anymore.

What do I put in the report? "Recommend letter of acceptable installation be obtained from the gas co. prior to cllosing."?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    One thing however, I doubt they will get a letter from anyone saying it is OK. Might be best to simply tell them it is under the deck and that they should check with the gas company to see if that location is OK.
    You should not care how hard it is to get that letter, and if the gas company is not willing to provide that letter, then their verbal okay is not going to hold any weight should anything happen.

Recommend they get the letter. It will protect your client and you.

The gas company will not be able to say 'We did not know it was THERE.'

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The gas company will not be able to say 'We did not know it was THERE.'
    That was my thought as well. I really don't think they know about it!

Thanks Jerry.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Recommend they get the letter. It will protect your client and you.
    '
    Ya right! If his gas company is as bad as ours (NIPSCO), they tell the client what is wrong but wont put anything in writing. Then the new homeowner is upset because he doesn't understand everything the gas guy told him. Nice customer service.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Utility Company may be King ( But I find it hard to believe they were Consulted Before this Porch was Erected Over The Gas Meter.)
    see page 3 of attachment for 6 feet requirement for overhang ( does not even meet 3 feet to electrical outlet.)
    Where else can that information be found? I looked in the International Gas Fuel Code book and I can't find anything that talks about the 3 foot clearance requirement. The local gas company enforces it but I cannot find where they get this information. It has to be available to the contractors or how else are they suppose to understand what is and is not allowed. Note: Most heating companies don't know about any clearance requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Ya right! If his gas company is as bad as ours (NIPSCO), they tell the client what is wrong but wont put anything in writing.
    Precisely.

And, by NOT issuing a letter stating that is it okay, that means IT IS *NOT* okay.

Which means: Correct it.

This is not rocket science stuff, guys.

If the utility company DOES NOT issue the letter stating it is correct, then it is NOT correct. As simple as that. When an agent, seller, whomever tries to disagree and say it is correct, all that needs to be said is: "The utility company REFUSED to say it was correct. If it is NOT CORRECT, then it is INCORRECT. FIX IT.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Where else can that information be found?

Here is one from Puget Sound Energy.

I believe those clearances are in NFPA 58.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jim Zborowski Guest

One other consideration is that in case of emergency ( fire ) the fire dept. would have to search for the meter to turn it off, thereby wasting valuable time.