Thread: Metal Roof

Ron Gries Guest

Default Metal Roof

Inspected a metal roof today and found a couple of concerns. One is the absence of a foam seal at the peak below the cap. Also, it appears that the overhang is excessive (16"). Is there a limit for overhang? What of the seal?
    Thanks much for your comments.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Ron Gries; 11-20-2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Wrong photo
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Metal Roof

Ron,

Don't know about the foam, however the overhang does appear to be excessive. The manufacturer's installation instructions should address that.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Typically, they all require a seal at the ridge, and they make a seal to match their configuration.

They also do not want that rake overhang like that, they want a supporting rake board and a wrap-over rake metal trim piece which helps keep that down when the wind picks up.

The overhang it way to long. Which makes the overhang not secured down where it is supposed to be, and it too requires a seal preformed to match the configuration of the metal roofing panels.

Plus, all metal roof manufacturers' installation instructions I have seen require the roofing to be installed starting that the end opposite the prevailing wind. It is that important. If you do not know the direction of your prevailing wind, call your local airport and ask them which runway they use most, that is is the direction of the prevailing wind.

Here is an example: In South Florida, I was flying out of North Perry Airport, the predominate runways were 9L and 9R (we had parallel runways 9/27 (E/W) and 18/36 (S/N) ), the prevailing wind was off the ocean, from the east, runways 9 meant you were landing/taking off heading E, into the wind ... 9 stood for 90 on the compass, 90 is east, 27 stood for 270, 270 is west, 18 stood for 180, 180 is south, as 36 was 360, which is north

Roswell, NM has a runway marked 3/21 (30/210 on the compass), by looking at the comparative skid marks from all the landings, most of the landings take place on Runway 21, meaning the prevailing wind in Roswell is basically from the SW (225 is SW).

That simply means the roofers *should have* started from the end of the roof on the NE end of the house, or the end closest to NE (as versus closest to the SW).

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 11-20-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: speelin'
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Gries Guest

Thank you for your quick reply. I am just finishing the report and my comments are inline with yours. That's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Roswell, NM has a runway marked 3/21 (30/210 on the compass), by looking at the comparative skid marks from all the landings, most of the landings take place on Runway 21, meaning the prevailing wind in Roswell is basically from the SW (225 is SW).
    JP,

Roswell? Is that from the airport or the alien landing port?

Whyever did you choose Roswell?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    JP,

Roswell? Is that from the airport or the alien landing port?

And Your Point Is. (we all know JP ain't from Around Here! )

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    And Your Point Is. (we all know JP ain't from Around Here! ).
    Billy,

Now that you mention it, I do see the resemblance.

I presume from Ron's location information. How boring.

Edward Loughran Guest

This site should answer your questions.
    How to Install Metal Roofing | Best Buy Metals

The over hang would be a problem in colder climats with "snow". The weight of the snow especialy went it slides off the roof would probaly bend the over hang.

William Brady Guest

Snow in this part of the country is not the issue however get a little north say Albuquerque and above and it is. Thank you Jerry for the info on prevaling winds. I see matal too and did not know that. In this area during the early spring the winds blow day in and day out. If we were near the ocean the RED flag would be up all the time. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Walker View Post
    I presume from Ron's location information. How boring.
    Correct, because that was Ron's location.

When I said " by looking at the comparative skid marks from all the landings", I fully expected to be asked 'You can see that from Ormond Beach?' ... or something to that effect.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

When I said " by looking at the comparative skid marks from all the landings", I fully expected to be asked 'You can see that from Ormond Beach?' ... or something to that effect.
    I missed that part, otherwise, I would have.

Frank Suchodolski Guest

That roof will look really good when the wind peels it off. No wonder the hurricane /tornado damage is allways so devastating if thats how they roof.