Default Power factor optimizer - what is this?

Anybody ever run into these? Any information would be appreciated.
    There were 3 total, one at the main panel, and two at the a/c condensing units (one on each condensing unit disconnect)

Label reads:

KVAR Energy Savings, Inc
    Power Factor Optimizer Capacitors
    Eneergy Savings Solutions.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Jeff Remas Guest

Default Re: Power factor optimizer - what is this?

The "snake oil" of energy savings

The basic principle is as follows; inductive loads such as electric motors kick back unusable energy into the power system. This unusable energy materializes as heat build-up in appliances, noise on transistor radios and cordless phones, etc.. The KVAR Energy Optimizer contains a capacitor which absorbs this unusable energy and later releases it as usable electricity that can be used by electical appliances, thereby reducing your energy demand from the power company.

yup--snake oil

Let's Talk ShopBot: Power Factor Optimizer solution

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

These actually work.. The snake oil part is power factor correction needs to be matched to motor loads. You can over correct and create the problem in the other direction (and it uses more power). So one size does not fit all.

I saw one of these at a trade show. I asked for an internal diagram (said "no") and asked if I could take it apart (definitely "NOT"). Asked how it worked and he didn't know.

Kind of like adding polished reflectors to fluorescent lighting. It make them look really bright but you don't get any more light out of them..I am sure the "smoke-and-mirrors" snake oil salesmen with multiply with the term "green" energy..

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee