Default Embroideried Shirts

Just curious! Do you wear them and do you buy them on line? And if you do, how is the quality?

Jim Murphy

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Embroidered Shirts

Jim,

I used to wear shirts with my company name embroidered above the pocket.

I would go to J. C. Penny's, Sears, Dillard's, etc., and buy shirts which I liked, then have them embroidered at a uniform shop.

That gives you more choices in shirts, quality, style, and you can make sure you like them for fit and comfort.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Embroideried Shirts

I just bought mine right at the embroidery shop and had them put on whatever I wanted. Just as cheap as buying them at another store and then carrying them to the embroidery shop.

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    Just as cheap as buying them at another store and then carrying them to the embroidery shop.
    Erby,

In my case, I was not going for "cheap", I was going for "the style and type of shirt I liked best', which included many, many, options that were not available at a uniform/embroidery shop.

I'm not sure what your shirts cost, with embroidery, but I paid an average of $20-30 per shirt (and the shirts happened to be on sale, they were originally $40 shirts), plus another $18 per shirt for the embroidery. I'm sure that my spending $38 to $48 per shirt, with embroidery, was not based on it being "cheap".

I've seen home inspectors wearing Tee shirts with their name, logo, and a list of what they inspect printed on the back, with more stuff on the front - to me, that reminds me of those plumbers and their Roto-Rooter (and other name brands) shirt. They look like trades people, not professional home inspectors.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

All cotton is the only way I go. There are cotton shirts that are kinda sorta perma press. A quick iron at best just to get out some minor wrinkles.

There is nothing more comfortable to me than cotton or at least mostly cotton.

I don't do the embroidered shirts any more. I use to but I liked the more casual/dress type look with out the advertisement. I to do not like the Orkin/plumber/service man look. Casual and comfortable but clean and neat. Folks seem to be more comfortable with that.

I use to put lettering on the sides of my truck but just put it on my back window now. I never really got calls (could probably count them over the years) from truck lettering.

Ted,

That was a great lunch we had yesterday. Best beans and cornbread I've had in awhile.

I was showing off my new company hat and shirt to Ted and he said most of his customers didn't care he if wore a hat or even a shirt. They liked the tattoo's and the professional job he performed.

What a mentor.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Ted,

That was a great lunch we had yesterday. Best beans and cornbread I've had in awhile.

I was showing off my new company hat and shirt to Ted and he said most of his customers didn't care he if wore a hat or even a shirt. They liked the tattoo's and the professional job he performed.

What a mentor.
    Now thats just plane darn scary. You are killing me Rick. Where did you get my picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I don't do the embroidered shirts any more. I use to but I liked the more casual/dress type look with out the advertisement.
    Same here, which is why I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I used to wear ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I used cotton polo shirts that I bought and had them embroidered at a local shop which were durable but they faded very quickly and get very heavy when wet (think Texas summers.)
    Next batch was a blend of 75% polyester and 25% cotton which held the color better (still look bright) are much lighter and cooler for summer wear.
    These were the best except for snags on nails, etc. but were otherwise very durable.

The most recent batch I bought from a supplier who did the embroidery and is a blend of about 75% cotton and 25% cotton and hold the color well but weigh a ton when wet, and are not holding up well.

I am trying to find some high tech fabric shirts that are supposed to wick moisture away. My son is a HS coach and tells me that the stuff he gets is very cool and durable. My trouble is finding a plain solid red shirt with a collar and pocket.

I think buying the shirts you want and having the lettering added has worked best for me.

I have Red and White web site, logo, truck, etc. The embroidered polo shirts tie in with the marketing theme and lends a little more professional look (at least in my opinion) and have received comments from several of my customers. Most of the people who have commented are themselves business owners.

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 11-22-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

David Banks Guest

Hold off on the shirts until the economy comes back and you have at least one job a week.

I buy my shirts and outerwear from vendors I trust and can try on in the store. I have them embroidered by a local vendor.

In the summer I wear poly cotton shirts so the sweat does not show so much. In the fall I wear 100 cotton twill shirts from Eddie Bauer. Shirts are about $30-$40 each. Embroidery is $12 per shirt.

I had a few ball caps embroidered but I don't wear hats so I gave one to my father-in-law. I keep one in the truck in case the need ever arises.

I have the twill shirts drycleaned so the colors don't fade. It also makes a very crisp pressed look. The summer poly cotton shirts I had pressed at the cleaners once to set the creases. After that I can wash and iron at home and they look very nice.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by fritzkelly View Post

I quit putting lettering on my vehicle. Sometimes my driving leaves something to be desired, I'd just as soon people don't know who I am.
    I notice my driving becomes exponetially more polite the closer I get to a job.... I've almost layed into somebody with the horn only realize they're the client I'm about to do an inspection for.

Ted Menelly Guest

Yep. Nothing more embarrassing passing your client at 80 then cutting in front of them to make your exit.

Robert M. Schindler Guest

Best price, quality and service I have found. Huge variety of shirts of all types and more. I have used them for over 15years.

ShirtWholesaler.com T-shirt wholesale

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Jim L (Allen, TX) -

Land's End polos (for me) have had the best color retention. None of them survive the nail hooks!

I've used a button down, button front cotton shirt w/pocket that wicks away moisture for the past 3+ years. Used by a lot of the local (Plano, Allen, McKinney, etc.) high school coaching staffs.

Looks great, holds appearance, great wash/wear capability. Sierra Pacific (FeatherLIte) is the name on the label. I got them at Texas2Stitch in Plano at the SE corner of Parker Road & Independence.

They have my logo in their file system and when I need shirts or bring in my Lands' End product they just 'stitch' away.

Great little company. Husband/wife team and they are "big" into supporting the Plano ISD with all their logo'd products. Saw where they are expanding to a 2nd location.

Ted Menelly Guest

Jim and Nolan

I just went to Academy and they have Dockers on sale. 100% cotton, not the real heavy ones, stain resistant, fade resistant and wrinkle guard. Normaly 40 on sale for 20. I just bought seven of them. Pretty nice shirts.

Jim

They have maroon and also red, of course other colors as well but you were looking for red. Button down, long sleeve, pocket.

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

I have been using Queensboro for years with great success.

Custom Logo Shirts, Hats, Bags and More - The Queensboro Shirt Company

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    I just bought mine right at the embroidery shop and had them put on whatever I wanted. Just as cheap as buying them at another store and then carrying them to the embroidery shop.

-
    Same here. Many options in the embroidery shop. The price is not much different, if not the same, when comparing apples with apples. I feel best way for somebody to remember the companies name is to continually display it.

My first name is on the right side so if they don't remember it, all they have to do is look at my shirt. I think it makes it a little more personable when they can say my name after they have forgotten it during greetings.

My opinion of course.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I notice my driving becomes exponetially more polite the closer I get to a job.... I've almost layed into somebody with the horn only realize they're the client I'm about to do an inspection for.

When a person cuts somebody off or does something else stupid, I catch up to him and point to his tire to indicate something is wrong. After giving me a strange look, they normally pull over. Of course there is nothing wrong with his tire but he doesn't know that until he takes the time to pull over and try to figure out what I was trying to tell him. By the time he realizes that everything is fine, he just spent a lot more time looking for that problem then he saved by cutting off that guy.

I did this when my wife was in the car with me. She was getting upset with me at first because she didn't know what I was going to do but after everything was done, she laughed her a$$ off.

I have about a half dozen of things I do depending on the situation.

William Brady Guest

For my logo I has it digitized and a friend who has all the machines put's it on my shirts. The one thing I found out was to launder the shirts before having the logo put on so that it does not pucker. the more stiches in the logo the better chance it will pucker. Washing the shirt seems to prevent it from happening.

Stephen Houmard Guest

I go with Lands Ends. Buy in Bulk/

It's better to look good than to feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    When a person cuts somebody off or does something else stupid, I catch up to him and point to his tire to indicate something is wrong. After giving me a strange look, they normally pull over.
    Kevin,

Take a piece of poster board about 8-1/2" x 11" and write on it in bold black magic marker "TIRE".

Then, when that happens, act like they don't understand you, pretend to reach to your write and act like you are scribbling a note, then hold that scribble note up, they will think you just wrote it down for them. Then point down and back to there rear tire (they might have someone inside who might try to look at their front tire, or they might think 'if there was something wrong with my front tire, I could feel it in the steering.', but the back tire ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Have you looked into ARAMARK Uniform & Career Apparel, LLC ?

Uniforms – Work Uniforms – Uniform Rentals – Uniform Services: Aramark

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

You might want to make sure also how you point at someone is not a "gang" type gesture. You could be getting yourself shot.

Playing games at pointing at someones tires acting as if something is wrong is just asking for some road rage on down the road from the fool.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    You might want to make sure also how you point at someone is not a "gang" type gesture. You could be getting yourself shot.
    Incase anyone is going to visit Chicago soon.
    [ CHICAGOGANGS.ORG ] GANG HAND SIGNS

Ken Larson Guest

For the last couple years I have purchased my "polo" type shirts from a local company, Embroid Me. The shirts cost on average about $25each. Adding my logo to the front of the shirt and some lettering on the sleeve ran me an additional $5. I've tried 3 different variety of shirts with them and none really lasted more that a few months of wash and wear before I had to "retire" them.

Then I tried the Costco brand $12.99 "polo" type shirts and they have lasted almost a year. Much better quality, plenty long to tuck in, and heavy duty construction. Embroid Me charges me $12 per shirt now since I didn't buy the shirt from them.