Question Marketing help - Please help me

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing well.

I want to ask all of you for some help and/or advice.

If you will be kind enough to give me your input it will help me understand my problem and might relate to your marketing as well.

Several months ago I posted a thread that contained a link for a free trial of what I have found to be an effective marketing program. A program that I believe will help inspectors get more work. With business the way it is I would think that a free trial of a program that may generate more business would be welcomed or you would at least be curious to see how it worked.

While I did have many people sign up to use the free demo, and people did sign up to use it for their own marketing after they tried the demo, I was curious as to why more people didn't at least try the free demo. As I said, many people did but not nearly as many as I would expect with over 1,600 views of the thread.

So my question is....... with over 1,600 views of the thread offering a free trial of a system that may help an inspector bring in more business, why wouldn't more people give it a free test drive?

The thread I am referring to can be found here

The link to the demo can be found here

Is it my wording? My approach? Are you all doing many more inspections than you are telling?

I'm looking forward to your replies, help and advice.

Thank you!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Marketing help - Please help me

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post
    Is it my wording? My approach?

Brian,

Possibly a combination of the two?

The poll simply asked "How Important Is It To Get A Referral Inspection From a Past Client?" without mentioning anything else.

Your post, under the line, did refer to "BTW, are referrals from past clients important to you? If so, watch this Video" but did not really tie the poll to the video up in the poll.

Also, asking "BTW, are referrals from past clients important to you?" and then showing a video of someone talking (I just clicked on it on your link above, saw someone talking, then closed it, I had not clicked on watch the video before) might be too subtle of an way to advertise to guys who are, by nature and by training, suspicious of things.

You might want to hit us upside the head with a 2x4 to get our attention.

Something like the not so subtle: "I know that referrals from past clients are important to you, watch this Video of a new program I have. You can try it for FREE, and, if you like it, go here to sign up for it." Going "here" (linked) take them to the details and costs.

If the 2x4 by itself is too subtle, then add a nail in the end of it, something like: "Or are you just to busy already the you do not care about referrals from past clients? If you are, I've got another service here where you can post your excess calls and we can send them to other home inspectors.", with "here" being linked to your member list, organized by state, and within each state organized by city. Those who do not use their real name or with only a state showing in their location are not listed ... just another way to get everyone to use their real name and show their location as city, state.

Some here say I am not subtle enough, that I should be more warm and fuzzy, but you see what being warm and fuzzy gets, right?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I know ASHI started the same type of program, I think that it might even be the same company and they have had about the same lack luster response.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

We have a Send Out card rep in the Tradebank Group I belong to. I probably don't use them as much as I should. it's a pretty slick system, and not that expensive.

Ron Bibler Guest

Sorry brian i did not put this together. I look at that post but then just past on to something else.

It just did not click with me at the time.

Best

Ron

I'm really not trying to be a smartass...

When I go to the video link the first thing I see is the word "Actively" misspelled.
    This is always a turn-off for me and makes me wonder about the over-all quality of the program.
    Kind of like when, as a home inspector, I see some amateur repair, I have to wonder how much other amateur work has been done in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I'm really not trying to be a smartass...
    Not at all John. That is what I'm looking for. Advice and help.

So was that the only problem?

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan

Perhaps most of us are too lazy or too cheap.

I've often thought I need to send cards to my referral sources saying "Thank You!" and DID, for awhile.

But it's always a pain in the ass to get the cards, put my ugly handrwriting on it, stuff it, seal it, and stamp it. THEN, I have to remember to actually take it to the post office and MAIL it.

The first one of the two samples I have available to send, at YOUR expense (according to the site), took about 15 minutes to go through because I was following the tutorial.

The second one took about 45 seconds. (Well, OK. After I spent several minutes looking at the various cards available and trying to choose one among so many.)

A heck of a lot quicker and more convenient that buying, writing, stuffing, addressing, and mailing.

And according to the website, the simple ones I sent were only .98 cents including postage. Is that right??

Note that I have a better place to do my massive mailings from, like when I'm going to send a Christmas Card to 1,000 or more customers but it doesn't handle the one or four at a time very well.

Send out cards would seem to be the answer to doing the one or two or three at a time type cards in just a couple of minutes on line.

Thanks for sharing that. Now I have to decide if I really want to do it.

So if I decide to sign up, how do I ensure that you are credited with the referral.

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Honestly, I'm just a skeptic.... I'm just always doubtful of things that claim to be better than sliced bread.... and I'm not meaning to specifically degrade the subject item since, honestly, I didn't even really look into it that much.

With the slowdown in business I've had to take over the phones for my company on a daily basis and I'm just overwhelmed with marketing and, unfortunately, just throw it all out.... the bad and the good.

Also, I don't think I realized it was from you or the website... I click through so many threads at all hours that I can easily just blow over something without really absorbing it.

Maybe an email or PM would have stood out a bit more.

Those are just my random thoughts....

Darrel Hood Guest

Brian,
    Some of the low response quantity may have been caused by the highly competitive environment. Send Out Cards has three representatives that I know of within my networking circles, and I am in a small town. If they have succeeded in this level of penetration in most markets, the chances are that many if not most inspectors have already been exposed to them and made their decisions.

Just a thought.

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES
    (936)827-7664

Brian,

The thread you reference is just a poll, with a link embedded in the last sentence by way of a P.S.

I didn't see any attempt to make the video an important part of the message, and I didn't even watch it.

Dom.

Brian, I don't recall the post but it is like this. I get email, mail, or phone calls every work day about someway to make a fortune, or how to increase my business by 1000%. How SEO can put me on the first page of a Goggle, MAN, or Yahoo search, Yellow page ads (we have 3 different yellow page publishers in the area), Superpages, and on and on and on. I suppose I'm a little jaded about advertising and promotion and just ignore most of it as a survival tactic.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Thumbs up Re: Marketing help - Please help me

Hi everyone,

I want to thank all of you that helped me out with comments and advice.

I do see the error I made by connecting the thread below the poll.

I originally just set up the poll to collect info. The poll confirmed what I thought and that was that there is a desire and need to actively seek referrals from past clients. After I found what I think is a great way to do that I added it on below the poll rather than creating a new thread.

You might want to hit us upside the head with a 2x4 to get our attention.
    Jerry, I think that you are correct. My problem is that I tend to be an information provider rather than a "salesman". I'm just not aggressive enough.

I know ASHI started the same type of program, I think that it might even be the same company and they have had about the same lack luster response.
    If it is the one that is on the back cover of the ASHI magazine it is very different. That is for ordering bulk cards. This system allows you to create cards on-line and they are mailed out for you.

We have a Send Out card rep in the Tradebank Group I belong to. I probably don't use them as much as I should. it's a pretty slick system, and not that expensive.
    Slick and not expensive (I say "great value") is what sold me on it.

Perhaps most of us are too lazy or too cheap.
    I've often thought I need to send cards to my referral sources saying "Thank You!" and DID, for awhile.
    But it's always a pain in the ass to get the cards, put my ugly handwriting on it, stuff it, seal it, and stamp it. THEN, I have to remember to actually take it to the post office and MAIL it.
    The first one of the two samples I have available to send, at YOUR expense (according to the site), took about 15 minutes to go through because I was following the tutorial.
    The second one took about 45 seconds. (Well, OK. After I spent several minutes looking at the various cards available and trying to choose one among so many.)
    A heck of a lot quicker and more convenient that buying, writing, stuffing, addressing, and mailing.
    And according to the website, the simple ones I sent were only .98 cents including postage. Is that right??
    .62 for the card, envelope and shipping and .42 for the postage. .93 for the card if you upload a custom picture to be printed on the card.

Note that I have a better place to do my massive mailings from, like when I'm going to send a Christmas Card to 1,000 or more customers but it doesn't handle the one or four at a time very well.
    Maybe, maybe not. This system allows you to upload your database of contacts and send out personalized cards to however many people you want with a few clicks. You can make one card, select all the people you want to send it to from your contact manager, click send. You can even add in Dear "FirstName" and each card will be personalized.

Thanks for sharing that. Now I have to decide if I really want to do it.

So if I decide to sign up, how do I ensure that you are credited with the referral.
    You can sign up here:
    https://www.sendoutcards.com/cgi-bin...select:::48931

If you have questions about the pricing (it can be confusing) let me know.

With the slowdown in business I've had to take over the phones for my company on a daily basis and I'm just overwhelmed with marketing and, unfortunately, just throw it all out.... the bad and the good.
    I do understand. It is because of the slowdown that I wanted to find a marketing program that was a little different from the norm. I think that all of you have a great resource (your past clients). Tapping into and networking with all your past clients to actively seek referrals is a great way to increase business.

I suppose I'm a little jaded about advertising and promotion and just ignore most of it as a survival tactic.
    I'm the same way and that is way all of us need to make sure we are consistent and persistent with all of our marketing programs. That is why I think that one "Thank You" note to a client after an inspection is not enough to receive the maximum amount of referrals from that past client.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I know that no one likes a "salesman" or to feel like they have been sold on something but this is a program that I am using myself and want to share it with you or at least share the idea and concept of keeping in touch with your past clients with meaningful hand written letters.

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan

Martin lehman Guest

I think its a great system. I dont know why anyone wouldnt give it a try. There are not strings attached. I purchased the minumum amount of points(20) for $10 and the minimum amount of for postage $10, for a total of $20. I sent out a few cards last night, I think its a great idea and not very expensive for what I will use it for.
    It absolutely beats the heck out of the email newsletter Ive been overpaying for with zero results...
    Thanks

PETER W BENNETT Guest

Can anyone tell me what the number one car salesmen in the US for 12 years straight did?