Default Garage C/B bracket

Hello inspectors,

I took this picture at today's inspection. I typically see a wood block in place to mount the bracket for the garage door counter-balance. This one looks odd, it's stacked metal plates and I'm not sure if it is OK? I suggest that the the bracket should be installed per manufacturer's specs. The only problem is, where do I find those specs?

Has anyone seen these before? OK installation?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help here.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Kevin Barre Guest

Default Re: Garage C/B bracket

The fastest way to get the mfr's specs would be thru their website. Personally, I have never seen that arrangement with metal shims, but as long as the load is evenly spread out and fastened properly, it looks to me like it would work. After all, the shims are wider than the base of the bracket so load distribution should be OK.
    Based on that one photo, I can't see that it would create a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
    it's stacked metal plates
    Dave,

You sure they are metal? How close to them did you get?

I ask because "they look like" plastic window shims, which are 'U' shaped. Not only would I not want "plastic" shims there, but unless the shims were kept (i.e., not split like a 'U' but fully encircling the perimeter) in place by themselves, if that comes the slightest bit loose, the bottom shims can fall out, allowing the top shims to rotate and fall out.

You would need to verify with the garage door manufacturer, but I don't see a problem with *metal* shims provided they are captive and cannot fall out - but if the manufacturer's installation instructions specify "wood block" and do not offer an alternative, then "wood block" it is.

But not plastic, and not 'U' shape.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks for the response guys.
    Jerry, yes they were metal. It was pretty strong too.

After you do 100's of houses and you never see something like this, I just feel the need to ask the experts.

Adios

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com