Post Inadequate chimney footing?

Yesterdays inspection had a masonry chimney that did not extend down into the crawlspace. It tapered in at the bottom at the main floor and was resting on an interior wall. I would have to guess that there was several 2x4 studs in the wall used for support. Also there was a large support post in the crawlspace, looked like power pole cut off, this may have been the footing. This home was built around 1900-1930. My question is was it ever allowed to have a masonry chimney not extend all the way to the ground and to be suported by wood columns or suport posts.

My other question is that is it ever allowed to have a flue pipe such as the one in the photo to be located in a bedroom.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Inadequate chimney footing?

If that flue pipe is single-wall, I don't think it's allowed to pass through any wall, bedroom or otherwise.

Ron Bibler Guest

That little flue pipe is for a masonry chimney More photos would help.
    needs to be on a 45 degree. and its vents to ? what with the tape.

Best

Ron

The flue pipe serves an old freestanding gas stove located at the other side of the wall in the living room.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ron Bibler Guest

Trent thats not a masonry chimney. That thing should not be used.

Refer it off.

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    The flue pipe serves an old freestanding gas stove located at the other side of the wall in the living room.
    Trent,

You mean that is an "unvented gas heater", right?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Trent thats not a masonry chimney.
    There might be a masonry chimney behind the wood paneling.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It is a freestanding gas stove that is vented to the masonry chimney located behind the wood paneling.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    Yesterdays inspection had a masonry chimney that did not extend down into the crawlspace. It tapered in at the bottom at the main floor and was resting on an interior wall. I would have to guess that there was several 2x4 studs in the wall used for support. Also there was a large support post in the crawlspace, looked like power pole cut off, this may have been the footing. This home was built around 1900-1930. My question is was it ever allowed to have a masonry chimney not extend all the way to the ground and to be suported by wood columns or suport posts.

My other question is that is it ever allowed to have a flue pipe such as the one in the photo to be located in a bedroom.
    Trent,

Around here, old homes often had masonry chimneys that consisted of a single course of brick supported by the wall framing. My concerns are the condition of the mortar, the likelihood that the wood will sag/settle allowing the chimney to settle/crack. In addition, the flue space is likely oversized and might not draft properly.

The space heater that you posted is old and should be deferred for that reason alone.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

David Banks Guest

It is called a Bracket Chimney and should be called out as improperly supported. Really should not be used anymore.
    Bracket Chimneys: collapse hazards in buildings?

I was thinking that I had seen this done before but could not remember what it was called. A bracket chimney, what a stupid idea. Thanks for the link David it was very helpful.

Bracket chimney ...

Learn new stuff here every day.

Maybe that is one reason the old South Florida Building Code specified "masonry and concrete shall not be supported by wood"?

Let's see, I want to stack a 10 ton chimney on some twigs, what size and how many twigs do I need? Dumb, just plain dumb.

And it is said, with affection, "They sure don't build them like they used to."

Sometimes, that's a "good thing".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Bracket chimney ...

Learn new stuff here every day.

Maybe that is one reason the old South Florida Building Code specified "masonry and concrete shall not be supported by wood"?

Let's see, I want to stack a 10 ton chimney on some twigs, what size and how many twigs do I need? Dumb, just plain dumb.

And it is said, with affection, "They sure don't build them like they used to."

Sometimes, that's a "good thing".
    Yea amazing. New England has quite a few of these in older houses. I have personally run into 5-6.