chris mcintyre Guest

Default Kick out Flashing

I'm going through a repair request for a client. One of the items in the home inspector's report is kick out flashing per manufacture specs, this is a vinyl siding house.

I don't think I have ever seen this, nor can I find this in the siding specs that I have (napco).

Flashing:
    None visible Kick-out flashing should be installed per the

siding manufacturer's specifications

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Kick out Flashing

This is the guideline that I have found the best to use.
    http://www.vinylsiding.org/publicati...2007Manual.pdf

I think you will find what you are looking for in this one.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Thanks Scott, I have saved the pdf, it has a lot more detail than the one I have.

But the problem is (I'm trying to be careful here, I don't want to get attacked) that the HI said it should be installed per the manf. specs. which the buyer interprets as it is wrong, as is.

Scott link is not a manf. and it only says that the kick-out may be required in colder climates, which we are not.

I do not want to start the arguing in circles between, the buyer (who feels he is being lied to by the contractor) and the seller (who feels he is being asked to spend money to fix something that is not broken), throw in a couple of real estate agents

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Thanks Scott, I have saved the pdf, it has a lot more detail than the one I have.

But the problem is (I'm trying to be careful here, I don't want to get attacked) that the HI said it should be installed per the manf. specs. which the buyer interprets as it is wrong, as is.

Scott link is not a manf. and it only says that the kick-out may be required in colder climates, which we are not.

I do not want to start the arguing in circles between, the buyer (who feels he is being lied to by the contractor) and the seller (who feels he is being asked to spend money to fix something that is not broken), throw in a couple of real estate agents
    Well then your best bet is to contact the manufacturer's tech department and ask them about the detail and then get them to send the detail to you.

I have always used industry standards (what the link is) when the manufacturer's are not clear or do not address the issue.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Chris,

Address it this way:

First, the vinyl siding installation instructions require a flashing, either a diverter or a kick-out flashing (both are shown in the vinyl siding installation instructions, with the kick-out flashing being noted as being better and required in some colder climates).

Sidewall Flashing at Roof Lines

Run the siding until the last full course under the roof area.

Cut a diverter from aluminum trim sheet, making sure it sits on the nail hem of the last full course (Fig. 43). Make sure the diverter is placed inside the receiving pocket of the vertical J-channel and is tucked behind the nail hem of the J-channel following the roof line for best drainage.

If a water-resistive barrier is present, a cut should be made in that barrier to allow the diverter to slip behind the roof step flashing and the J-channels. That cut will need to be sealed with tape (approved by the housewrap manufacturer) once the diverter is installed.

■ As an alternative to the diverter, create a “kickout” from metal flashing, as shown in Fig. 44.
    NOTE: “Kickout flashing” (Fig. 44) is an additional flashing strip that extends beyond the edge of the fascia that is required in some cold-climate localities.
    The IRC requires the following: (bold and underlining are mine)
    - R903.2 Flashing. Flashings shall be installed in a manner that prevents moisture from entering the wall and roof through joints in copings, through moisture permeable materials and at intersections with parapet walls and other penetrations through the roof plane.
    - - R903.2.1 Locations. Flashings shall be installed at wall and roof intersections, wherever there is a change in roof slope or direction and around roof openings. Where flashing is of metal, the metal shall be corrosion resistant with a thickness of not less than 0.019 inch (0.5 mm) (No. 26 galvanized sheet).

and

- R905.2.8.4 Sidewall flashing. Flashing against a vertical sidewall shall be by the step-flashing method. (Jerry's note: This is shown in the vinyl siding installation instructions.)
    - R905.2.8.5 Other flashing. Flashing against a vertical front wall, as well as soil stack, vent pipe and chimney flashing, shall be applied according to the asphalt shingle manufacturer’s printed instructions.

As you can see, "kickout" flashings are not specified (not even in the roof covering manufacturer's installation instructions - at least not the ones I've seen), but what *IS* required is that "shall be installed in a manner that prevents moisture from entering", so the question now becomes ...

Is it easier to PROVE that the existing flashing, or the lack thereof, is installed in a manner that prevents moisture from entering, and notice that it states "moisture" and not "water", where "water" is liquid water and "moisture" is liquid, mist, fog, vapor, etc., or, is it easier to install the kickout flashing which is what really should be installed anyway?

That is what becomes your call.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Jerry, good point (surprise, surprise)

I guess I was just focusing on the kick-out part and did not pay much attention to the diverter part.

I think it is safe to say that there is no way in he## that it is flashed properly, in fact we have not been installing to "industry standards" either . I will print page 25 and submit it with my quote for repairs.

I learn from this forum almost daily, thanks to all.

I do wish the HI would say industry standard and not manufacturer's specifications.

rick bunting Guest

This is one that I recommend quite often.
    DryFlekt® - Welcome to DryFlekt®!