Default Dryer booster fan

Inspected a new home today with a power vent booster for the dryer. There was not a dryer hooked up, but I pulled the clear pressure switch hose off and blew into it to see if it would start the fan. I could hear the switch click but the fan would not come on. Does this mean there is a problem, or would a dryer have to be hooked up electricaly for the fan to work? I also tryng sucking on the tube as I thought it may sense vacuum rather than static pressure.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Dryer booster fan

Stop your killing me L.O.L.

and blew into it to see if it would start

I also tryng sucking on the tube.

Stop your killing me L.O.L.

Just messing with ya. L.O.L.

Best

Ron

Frank,

No where in the Oklahoma Home Inspector Standards of Practice do I find that you have to suck or blow on anything.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Nope. I am not going to blow or suck on any tubes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about getting ahead of your competition.

Ron Bibler Guest

An HR later and I'm still L.O.L.

Sorry.

Frank its OK Dude.

You should hear some of the things I say sometimes.

Best

Ron

Frank,

Somewhere not to long ago I read something about those dryer vent booster fans not being properly listed and labeled for that use. That they are okay for other exhaust fans, but not the lint laden air from a dryer vent.

It may have been in my ICC, NFPA, or IAEI stuff I get - seem to recall it may have been from NFPA.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

I use to see them installed for the reason that the dryer vent was to long and supposedly made up for it. They are not allowed for that anymore.

Jim Zborowski Guest

I'm with Jerry on this one. Seen these for long runs of HVAC ducts to help maintain sufficient flow, but am not aware of any approved for use in dryer ducts. If they make one for that purpose,, I'd like to see the info on it.

I think this is what Frank is talking about. I'm seeing them on many of the new builds in this area.

rick

Product Details

Ron Bibler Guest

OK Sorry Frank.

Would not this unit be a problem in the cleaning out of the dryer vent ?

Could get past the thing ?

Best

Ron L.O.L.

We never lost our junior high sense of humor. Believe me I knew that was coming when I was writing it, but couldn't think of any other way to put it at the time. Was in mid report mode, still working on it actually. This is the one I saw today.

http://www.solerpalau-usa.com/dryer.html

Frank, the spec sheet for those mentioned three different controls. One was a pressure switch but another was a current sensing switch.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Zborowski View Post
    I'm with Jerry on this one. Seen these for long runs of HVAC ducts to help maintain sufficient flow, but am not aware of any approved for use in dryer ducts. If they make one for that purpose,, I'd like to see the info on it.
    Fantech: Dryer Boosting

http://www.fantech.net/dbf110_i.pdf

Tjernlund Retail Store—Dryer Duct Booster (Model LB1), 5 Year No-Clog Guarantee

Man, who is this architect that can't draw a house without needing a booster fan for the dryer. Talk about making things harder than they need to be.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

The one that I had a fellatious relationship with had a pressure switch. So maybe I need some practice but I was not arousing the motor. I guess I will write it up that it dd not appear to be functional and if I look bad, it won't be the first time today.

One of those in the two links did say it was ETL listed, but for what?

I'd like something showing they are approved and accepted for use. I searched the ICC reports and did not find any listed there.

I'd be very careful about using them and accepting them because, first and foremost, they "obstruct the flow" when not on, and how many times do motors "not work"?

Plus, are any of the dryers listed for exhausting through one of them?

From the 2006 IRC.

- M1502.5 Duct construction. Exhaust ducts shall be constructed of minimum 0.016-inch-thick (0.4 mm) rigid metal ducts, having smooth interior surfaces with joints running in the direction of air flow. Exhaust ducts shall not be connected with sheet-metal screws or fastening means which extend into the duct.

I don't see how those meet the above, or any of M1502 Clothes Dryer Exhaust.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It had a UL listing on the sticker, but I do not know if it was listed for this application or not.

Crappy pic but here is the sticker.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    Crappy pic but here is the sticker.

"Do not use with heated air in excess of 60? degree C 140 degree F"

Don't dryers get hot sometimes? What is the maximum temperature a dryer ever gets to?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Looking through a GE clothes dryer manual and found some interesting information.

For those of you in areas where it gets chilly (including my area) to cold and colder, and you find appliances in the unheated garages: "Install the dryer where the temperature is above 50ºF for satisfactory operation of the dryer control system."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Saw that too but do not know how hot dryers get. checked my own dryer and it read 130F on my laser therm.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    Saw that too but do not know how hot dryers get. checked my own dryer and it read 130F on my laser therm.

What setting did you use?

I think most have various settings, typically cotton is highest as I recall.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I see booster fans quite often in high rise condo's (new). I doubt they would use something that is not allowed for that use in thousands of units, but ya never know.

Russel Ray Guest

Hey, Brandon.

Same thing here. We have a gazillion bazillion high rise condos downtown and they all have the booster fans.

As to the original question, that's a good question.

I have had a dryer booster fan in my house for close to ten years.
    Frank, Yes it does need electricity to work.

I was changing the dryer ducting in my basement a while back, so I had occasion to look inside. While there was a little lint inside the fan, it was pretty clean.

Jim Zborowski Guest

Thanks for the links guys. I have yet to encounter one. Where I'm at, they're kinda slow catching up with things like that.

Friendbrook Guest

I would think the booster fan area would gather lint and plug up -- causing fire and/or CO buildup.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    I see booster fans quite often in high rise condo's (new).
    Quote Originally Posted by Russel Ray View Post
    Same thing here. We have a gazillion bazillion high rise condos downtown and they all have the booster fans.
    All the high-rises I've inspected condos in, and inspected as the AHJ, were set up one of three ways:

1) each unit discharged through its own dryer exhaust to the outdoors withing the exterior walls of the condo unit (no booster fan needed)

2) the high rise building had a fan on the roof which continually drew air in from a fresh air vent at the first level, up through a duct riser, picking up each unit as the duct passed by, with the large exhaust fan at the top, there would be several of these, one for each vertical bank of condo units

3) nothing; meaning the people had to resort to exhausting into those plastic buckets, which is not allowed, eventually the condo boards would fight this being written up and complain to the city, who would then verify that, yes, if you have a dryer, it was required to be vented to the outdoors - so the condo board would end up being required to assess each the unit and install exhaust to the outdoors (unfortunately, when condos first started being built in Broward County, not installing a dryer exhaust was common practice, but it eventually backfired on them)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Larry Kage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Friendbrook View Post
    I would think the booster fan area would gather lint and plug up -- causing fire and/or CO buildup.

Check the video comparison of a couple fans toward the bottom of this link:

Tjernlund Retail Store—Dryer Duct Booster (Model LB1), 5 Year No-Clog Guarantee

Greg Kelsey Guest

I've never seen a dryer booster fan but the thought of one being necessary does scare me due to the history of fires caused by lint build up in dryers vents. The diameter of the vent pipe and blower fan are designed compatible to one another by the manufacturer I would imagine. I believe the dryer manufacturer would have a max vent pipe distance recommendation. It seems the diameter and length would be designed to effectively exhaust the GPH for a gas-fired dryer and create enough resistance for efficient moisture dilution for an electric dryer. Unless the booster fan is manufactured by the dryer manufacturer and the manufacturers' statements and directions are not precise and specific, I would call it out.

Greg in VT

Jim Severine Guest

I inspected a place with a dryer 'assist' fan and found it actually cut the flow to the exterior big time when turned on. The total vent length was only about 15 feet. Told them to remove it.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Nope. I am not going to blow or suck on any tubes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You mean to tell me you guys don't suck on the little tube sticking out of the sump pump plugs to force them to run?!

Fantech makes a nice unit.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Per 32. here,

http://www.broomfield.org/building/d...andout0308.pdf

does M150.6 now ban booster fans, or just remove the exception allowing then to extend exhaust links?

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

mark tyson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Frank,

Somewhere not to long ago I read something about those dryer vent booster fans not being properly listed and labeled for that use. That they are okay for other exhaust fans, but not the lint laden air from a dryer vent.

It may have been in my ICC, NFPA, or IAEI stuff I get - seem to recall it may have been from NFPA.
    Florida building code (Mechanical 2007). chapter 5 section 504 Clothes dryer exhaust article 504.6 EXCEPTION: where a clothes dryer booster fan is installed and labeled for the application,the maximum length of the exhaust duct,including transition duct, shall be permitted to be in accordance with the booster fan manufacture's installation instructions. where a clothes dryer booster fan is installed and not readily accessiable from the room in which the dryer is located, a permenant identifying label shall be placed adjacent to where the exhaust duct enters the wall. the label shall bear the words "this dryer exhaust system is equipped with a remotely located booster fan"

Michael,

This is from the 2003 IRC, following will be the 2006 with exception 1. (the booster fans) having been deleted.
    - M1501.3 Length limitation. The maximum length of a clothes dryer exhaust duct shall not exceed 25 feet (7620 mm) from the dryer location to the wall or roof termination. The maximum length of the duct shall be reduced 2.5 feet (762 mm) for each 45-degree (0.79 rad) bend and 5 feet (1524 mm)for each 90-degree (1.6 rad) bend. The maximum length of the exhaust duct does not include the transition duct.
    - - Exceptions:
    - - - 1. Where a clothes dryer booster fan is installed and listed and labeled for the application, the maximum length of the exhaust duct, including any transition duct, shall be permitted to be in accordance with the booster fan manufacturer.s installation instructions. Where a clothes dryer booster fan is installed and not readily accessible from the room in which the dryer is located, a permanent identifying label shall be placed adjacent to where the exhaust duct enters the wall. The label shall bear the words. This dryer exhaust system is equipped with a remotely located booster fan.
    - - - 2. Where the make and model of the clothes dryer to be installed is known and the manufacturer's installation instructions for such dryer are provided to the building official, the maximum length of the exhaust duct, including any transition duct, shall be permitted to be in accordance with the dryer manufacturer.s installation instructions.

From the 2006 IRC.
    - M1502.6 Duct length. The maximum length of a clothes dryer exhaust duct shall not exceed 25 feet (7620 mm) from the dryer location to the wall or roof termination. The maximum length of the duct shall be reduced 2.5 feet (762 mm) for each 45-degree (0.8 rad) bend and 5 feet (1524 mm) for each 90-degree (1.6 rad) bend. The maximum length of the exhaust duct does not include the transition duct.
    - - Exceptions:
    - - - 1. Where the make and model of the clothes dryer to be installed is known and the manufacturer’s installation instructions for the dryer are provided to the building official, the maximum length of the exhaust duct, including any transition duct, shall be permitted to be in accordance with the dryer manufacturer’s installation instructions.
    - - - 2. Where large-radius 45-degree (0.8 rad) and 90-degree (1.6 rad) bends are installed, determination of the equivalent length of clothes dryer exhaust duct for each bend by engineering calculation in accordance with the ASHRAE Fundamentals Handbook shall be permitted.

The exception allowing them was removed, thus they are no longer allowed, or are banned, depending on how you wish to view the change ... the result is the same.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 11-24-2009 at 05:34 PM.
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by mark tyson View Post
    Florida building code (Mechanical 2007). chapter 5 section 504 Clothes dryer exhaust article 504.6 EXCEPTION: where a clothes dryer booster fan is installed and labeled for the application,the maximum length of the exhaust duct,including transition duct, shall be permitted to be in accordance with the booster fan manufacture's installation instructions. where a clothes dryer booster fan is installed and not readily accessiable from the room in which the dryer is located, a permenant identifying label shall be placed adjacent to where the exhaust duct enters the wall. the label shall bear the words "this dryer exhaust system is equipped with a remotely located booster fan"
    Mark,

Make sure you are in the correct code.

From the 2007 Florida Building Code, Residential:
    - M1502.6 Duct length. The maximum length of a clothes dryer exhaust duct shall not exceed 25 feet (7620 mm) from the dryer location to the wall or roof termination. The maximum length of the duct shall be reduced 2.5 feet (762 mm) for each 45-degree (0.8 rad) bend and 5 feet (1524 mm) for each 90-degree (1.6 rad) bend. The maximum length of the exhaust duct does not include the transition duct.
    - - Exceptions:
    - - - 1. Where the make and model of the clothes dryer to be installed is known and the manufacturer's installation instructions for the dryer are provided to the building official, the maximum length of the exhaust duct, including any transition duct, shall be permitted to be in accordance with the dryer manufacturer's installation instructions.
    - - - 2. Where large-radius 45-degree (0.8 rad) and 90-degree (1.6 rad) bends are installed, determination of the equivalent length of clothes dryer exhaust duct for each bend by engineering calculation in accordance with the ASHRAE Fundamentals Handbook shall be permitted.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    Fantech makes a nice unit.

I just ran across one of these and tested it but it would not shut down without killing the power, now I know why. See underlined below.

The secret is in the fully automatic pressure switch. Whether you are installing our new inline Dryer Booster fan, DBF 110 and DBF 4XL (complete with switch) or the RVF 4XL (with separate switch) it is a breeze. Designed to attach inline near the booster fan the switch monitors dryer operation and will activate the fan when the dryer comes on. Preset to cycle in ten minute intervals the fan will stay on until the dryer stops. All Fantech dryer booster fans are suitable for rigid duct runs of up to 60 linear feet with a maximum of six elbows. In all installations there needs to be at least 15 linear feet of duct between the booster fan and the dryer.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Daniel Leung Guest

Many Vancouver booster fan has a filter box to prevent lint clogged fan.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post
    Many Vancouver booster fan has a filter box to prevent lint clogged fan.
    And what happens when the filter box clogs up?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Daniel Leung Guest

And what happens when the filter box clogs up?
    Cleaning by hand. Some management clean the filter and vacuum the duct yearly, or send reminder to owners for regularly cleaning.

mark tyson Guest

Mark,

Make sure you are in the correct code.

From the 2007 Florida Building Code, Residential:
    - - Exceptions:
    - - - 1. Where the make and model of the clothes dryer to be installed is known and the manufacturer's installation instructions for the dryer are provided to the building official, the maximum length of the exhaust duct, including any transition duct, shall be permitted to be in accordance with the dryer manufacturer's installation instructions.
    Jerry,
    I believe i'm on firm ground here.
    I'm quoting the Florida Mechanical code 2007 which is a reproduction of the International residental Code 2006.I have not obtained a copy of IRC Mechanical 2008 but currently at least here in Florida the 2007 code is the current standard.
    while your quote from chapter 15 of the 2007 florida Residetal building code is correct it is just that a "building code", and does not cover the full scope. The complete set of codes is comprised of 7 main volumes each of which has precedence over the subject matter that it pertains.

Jerry,
    I believe i'm on firm ground here.
    I'm quoting the Florida Mechanical code 2007 which is a reproduction of the International residental Code 2006.
    Which is why you are NOT on firm ground here.

The discussion is of houses, and the RESIDENTIAL code applies to houses, NOT the Mechanical Code.

I have not obtained a copy of IRC Mechanical 2008
    Another indication of the less than firm ground you are on: there is no such thing as the "IRC Mechanical", just the "IRC", and it is in the 2000, 2003, 2006, and 2009 editions.

but currently at least here in Florida the 2007 code is the current standard.
    Yet another less than firm ground statement: The code which is applicable here in Florida is the 2007 FLORIDA BUILDING CODE ... all of them, which includes the 2007 Florida Building Code, Residential (if you had noticed, I refer to the Florida Codes that way as that is what they are called).

while your quote from chapter 15 of the 2007 florida Residetal building code is correct it is just that a "building code", and does not cover the full scope.
    By now, your ground is no longer firm, it has turned to mud.

The 2007 Florida Building Code, Residential, DOES cover the full scope of one and two family dwellings and townhouses.

What it does not cover is condos, apartments, and the like.

The complete set of codes is comprised of 7 main volumes each of which has precedence over the subject matter that it pertains.
    You new to review the codes, including the Florida codes ... there are SIX (6) main volumes:
    2007 Florida Building Code: Building
    2007 Florida Building Code: Residential
    2007 Florida Building Code: Existing Building
    2007 Florida Building Code: Plumbing
    2007 Florida Building Code: Fuel Gas
    2007 Florida Building Code: Mechanical

And the Test Protocols and Roof Application Standards (if you have heard of the RAS before)
    2007 Florida Building Code: Test Protocols

And you cannot (guess you can, but you will get shot down) apply the wrong code to the wrong instance.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mark tyson Guest

jerry,
    i have just recently discoverd this site and as i'm new here i wish no ill will. I originally thought that this may be a place to voice opinions and recieve positive feed back. judging from your responces i was mistaken.I am a member of B.O.A.F. and have posted our debate on their blog once i recieve feed back i will post for your review and then be done here.

I originally thought that this may be a place to voice opinions and recieve positive feed back.
    This is a place for feedback ...

... it just seems that you do not want "feedback" ...

... that you want to have your say and have others agree with it.

I am a member of B.O.A.F.
    Very good. I am too.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mark tyson Guest

Another indication of the less than firm ground you are on: there is no such thing as the "IRC Mechanical", just the "IRC", and it is in the 2000, 2003, 2006, and 2009 editions

Chapter #1 Adimistration Florida Residental Code 2007
    scope paragrah 2
    the base codes for the 2007 edition of the 2007 florida building code include,2006 edition; the International Plumbing Code, 2006 edition; the 2006 edition International Mechanical Code;2006 edition International Fuel Gas Code, 2006 edition; the International Residental Code,2006 edition; International Existing Building Code etc. etc

Another indication of the less than firm ground you are on: there is no such thing as the "IRC Mechanical", just the "IRC", and it is in the 2000, 2003, 2006, and 2009 editions

Chapter #1 Adimistration Florida Residental Code 2007
    scope paragrah 2
    the base codes for the 2007 edition of the 2007 florida building code include,2006 edition; the International Plumbing Code, 2006 edition; the 2006 edition International Mechanical Code;2006 edition International Fuel Gas Code, 2006 edition; the International Residental Code,2006 edition; International Existing Building Code etc. etc

Mark,

Are you not even reading what you are writing?

I pointed out that, as you quoted me, "there is no such thing as the "IRC Mechanical".

You respond by showing that there is a "the 2006 edition International Mechanical Code;" ...

Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I said.

Again, I ask, "Are you not even reading what you are writing?"

Jeez, you are so intent on trying to prove yourself right that you simply continue to prove yourself wrong, and you do it for all of us to see.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mark,

What is it that you do not understand about the following Florida code?

2007 Florida Building Code: Building
    2007 Florida Building Code: Residential
    2007 Florida Building Code: Existing Building
    2007 Florida Building Code: Plumbing
    2007 Florida Building Code: Fuel Gas
    2007 Florida Building Code: Mechanical

And the Test Protocols and Roof Application Standards (if you have heard of the RAS before)
    2007 Florida Building Code: Test Protocols

Which are based on the following code:
    2006 International Building Code
    2006 International Residential Code
    2006 International Existing Building Code
    2006 International Plumbing Code
    2006 International Fuel Gas Code
    2006 International Mechanical Code

No where in either will you find your IRC Mechanical code.

The IRC contains a Mechanical Part, known and identified as Part V - Mechanical, but it is still just a part of the IRC.

Likewise, the Florida Building Code, Residential, also contains a Mechanical Part, known and identified as Part V - Mechanical, but it is still just a part of the Florida Building Code, Residential.

Do you understand yet?

Crimeny.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com