John Stephenson Guest

Default beam interface with shingles

Last edited by John Stephenson; 12-21-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: add photo
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: beam interface with shingles

Needs step flashing on the beam for the shingles.

BTW what are the size of those shingles? I don't think i've seen them before.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I also would recommend flashing on top of the wooden beam.

Those are notorious for rotting out on the top edge.

Thumbs down Re: beam interface with shingles

John, If a man wants a wooden beam sticking out of his house from under the roof and seals it with tar, and it does not leak, you don't have to say anything about it at all. You do not have to tell the buyers what might happen to the seal, or the beam may rot, that is common sense. The wire looks like low voltage lighting to me so it's OK too. These guys are not realistic most of the time, even though they might recommend adding flashing's to the roof beam they know that there is NO WAY IN HELL the seller is going to do it when its been that way for 15 to 20 years. Don't be afraid to use common sense because "WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN" will come back to bite you.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Thumbs down Re: beam interface with shingles

Egad Tony. Are you looking out for the buyer (who is paying for the inspection) or are you concerned about pissing off the seller? I fail to see how advising your client (who is paying for the inspection) about "what might happen" as a result of an improper installation will come back to bite you.

"John, If a man wants a wooden beam sticking out of his house from under the roof and seals it with tar, and it does not leak, you don't have to say anything about it at all."

Huh???

"You do not have to tell the buyers what might happen to the seal, or the beam may rot, that is common sense."

Common sense to us Tony as these are the types of things we see every day. Not necessarily to the average homeowner. Isn't our job to educate our clients?

What I have heard firsthand is that Judges expect home inspectors to advise the client as to "what might happen".

Firsthand? As in the judge told you?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

My boss. Not my inspection, though.

George Koehl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mount View Post
    The wire looks like low voltage lighting to me so it's OK too.
    Actually it looks like Romax.
    Look at the last picture again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Egad Tony. Are you looking out for the buyer (who is paying for the inspection) or are you concerned about pissing off the seller? I fail to see how advising your client (who is paying for the inspection) about "what might happen" as a result of an improper installation will come back to bite you.

"John, If a man wants a wooden beam sticking out of his house from under the roof and seals it with tar, and it does not leak, you don't have to say anything about it at all."

Huh???

"You do not have to tell the buyers what might happen to the seal, or the beam may rot, that is common sense."

Common sense to us Tony as these are the types of things we see every day. Not necessarily to the average homeowner. Isn't our job to educate our clients?
    Nick,

Apparently, you have not followed many of Tony's posts.

Tony is a self described 'do the absolute minimum required' and report nothing as bad or not good unless there is absolutely no way to salvage it ... but then, there are salvage yards, so I guess *everything* is 'salvageable', right?

Of course, now I have set myself up to receive one of Tony's nasty little e-mails he likes to send me, just because I repeated what he has told us himself - guess it sounds better to him when he says it?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cool Re: beam interface with shingles

So, John who are you going to believe, me or the others? They are saying that if this was there house they would be happy to replace the flashings, install flashings on the beam and install the wire into conduit for their buyer. Now who are you going to believe?

Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    My boss. Not my inspection, though.
    Wouldn't that be your ex-boss??

And shouldn't your ex-boss have known that already?

Just wondering...

Hope all is well in Ridgewood.

Darren

in sunny Succasunna

Robert Schenck Guest

Default Re: Beam Interface with Shingles

I have to agree with what John said. And yes, there is a "possibility" those pesky squirrels "could" run across the beam and damage the cable. Whether you're a Rookie Inspector or a Seasoned Inspector, plain ole common sense is the most valuable tool one can have.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Edgar Abrego Guest

Great posts guys; all of you! This is why I come back daily. Great information and different opinions. I am a rookie as well and find this web site invaluable, so keep up the good work. And I promise once I have some more experience I will be right beside you posting away. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INSIGHT.