Darrel Hood Guest

Default Roofing or plumbing thread?

I have never attached a photo in this forum before, so I hope it worked. I was doing an inspection of repairs of damage from Ike when I spotted this. The only repairs were a roof and deck replacement, but the client said the roofers did it when they were installing a new roof jack. Is this a new, approved way to install a draft hood?

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Roofing or plumbing thread?

Yep, that is the new mystical vent stack method.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Darrel Hood Guest

Default Another question

I came across this on a new construction phased inspection yesterday. Does any one know a practical reason to provide two sources of cold water to the water heater?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

It's probably in case there's a problem on one of the supply sides of the manifold that they can shut it off and still have hot water to the fixtures.

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Another question

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    I came across this on a new construction phased inspection yesterday. Does any one know a practical reason to provide two sources of cold water to the water heater?
    Whats with that vent? and that heater looks like its to close to the rafters ?
    my understanding is you need a min of 12" from the heater to any afjacent areas or framing.

Best

Ron

Darrel,

For whatever reason, there are two service risers coming into those manifolds, by teeing them together, they can equalize any pressure drop and reduce any pressure drop by having twice the supply.

That said, all those PEX pipes attached to the manifolds are wrong (improperly supported from the manifolds), and the PEX piping is improperly supported and secured (as in *not* supported and secured).

What's that white thing (hole/vent) at the rafters? Is that the light fixture box with no light on it?

Also, Conroe, TX is above the freeze line as best I can tell, thus, unless that attic is heated (does not look like it is), ALL those water lines are required to be insulated, have heat tape, or both.

Also wonder if that furnace is insulated sufficiently for that unconditioned freezing space (unconditioned attic above the freeze line)? Does that require additional insulation for the unit? How about the duct work?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Darrel Hood Guest

Jerry,
    I appreciate your feedback on the topic. As I understand it now, it makes sense I guess to have the two supply lines . . . if one is a person who buys insurance on his insurance, or wears a belt and suspenders.

I don't understand the intent of the other comments since this is an in progress construction. Please, help me understand so I can respond appropriately.

Darrel Hood
    (936)827-7664

Ron Bibler Guest

Jerry,
    I appreciate your feedback on the topic. As I understand it now, it makes sense I guess to have the two supply lines . . . if one is a person who buys insurance on his insurance, or wears a belt and suspenders.

I don't understand the intent of the other comments since this is an in progress construction. Please, help me understand so I can respond appropriately.

Darrel Hood
    (936)827-7664
    What don't you understand?

Watch the video. this may help. Tankless Water Heaters - NACHI.TV Episode 49

Best

Ron

I don't understand the intent of the other comments since this is an in progress construction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That said, all those PEX pipes attached to the manifolds are wrong (improperly supported from the manifolds), and the PEX piping is improperly supported and secured (as in *not* supported and secured).
    See attached drawing showing minimum bending radius and supporting information. That piping should come off the manifold, be support and secured (with proper straps), then have at least the minimum bending radius. This is to reduce any forces on the fittings which could pull the piping loose and to reduce any strain on the pipe by too sharp of bends.

Also see section of Wisbro instructions.

Also, Conroe, TX is above the freeze line as best I can tell, thus, unless that attic is heated (does not look like it is), ALL those water lines are required to be insulated, have heat tape, or both.
    The code requires all piping outside the thermal envelope of a structure to be protected from freezing, and the code gives a 'freeze line' (my term) which basically runs along I-10 from Jacksonville, FL to TX, then angles up toward CA.

The freeze line passes across TX just north of Houston. Houston has a design degree of 32 degrees, and any design degree day of less than 32 degrees falls above the 'freeze line'. Thus, Houston is cutting it right smack on the 32 degree cut off, if I were in Houston, I would not push it. There is this little thing called 'Mother Nature' and she has never bothered to read those charts.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com