Thread: lead supply

Richard Roshak Guest

Default lead supply

I'm looking for a good comment for a house with lead entrance supply piping.
    Rich

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: lead supply

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Roshak View Post
    I'm looking for a good comment for a house with lead entrance supply piping.
    Rich
    "Replace lead water service pipe. Failure to do so could result in lead poisoning. I do not want the surviving spouse to call me about the lead poisoning/death of the other spouse and/or the children."

Plain and simple will do it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Banks Guest

WATER SERVICE:
    : It is recommended the following issue (S) and related systems be further evaluated and addressed as needed by a LICENSED PLUMBING CONTRACTOR.
    : Lead pipe present at the service entry from street. Lead pipes are considered a health hazard.
    : Recommend this web site for more information. Lead Home | Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil | US EPA

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    WATER SERVICE:
    : It is recommended the following issue (S) and related systems be further evaluated and addressed as needed by a LICENSED PLUMBING CONTRACTOR.
    : Lead pipe present at the service entry from street. Lead pipes are considered a health hazard.
    : Recommend this web site for more information. Lead Home | Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil | US EPA

David,

Please explain why someone now needs to pay a plumber to come out and "evaluate" something you already "evaluated" - you already reported there was a lead water service pipe, what can the plumber "evaluate" ... 'Yes ma'am, that sure is a lead water service pipe.'?

YOU have identified the hazard, a plumber is not going to be able to address that hazard any better than you are - you KNOW that a lead water service pipe is a health hazards, you already said so.

*NO PLUMBER NEEDED* for that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

David,

Please explain why someone now needs to pay a plumber to come out and "evaluate" something you already "evaluated" - you already reported there was a lead water service pipe, what can the plumber "evaluate" ... 'Yes ma'am, that sure is a lead water service pipe.'?

YOU have identified the hazard, a plumber is not going to be able to address that hazard any better than you are - you KNOW that a lead water service pipe is a health hazards, you already said so.

*NO PLUMBER NEEDED* for that.
    Good point. I need to upgrade my remarks.

When I see a lead supply to the water meter there is typically only a foot or so exposed, and I have no way of knowing how much if any of line out to the street they been replaced with some other material. I don't know how much lead is leaching into the water, which depends on a number of factors including the length of the lead piping in the supply and on the water usage patterns in the household. If the lead level is elevated the occupants have a number of options to deal with the problem, starting with the wasteful but effective technique of running water used for drinking or cooking long enough to expel standing water with elevated lead levels from the supply lines.

Here's how I currently report this condition:

Observation: The water supply line from the city water distribution system in the street to the house is made of lead where I can observe it at the water meter in the basement.

Analysis: There is a potential for lead from the supply line to leach into the water. Lead is toxic when consumed by humans in food or water, can cause or serious illness, and is especially dangerous to infants and small children. There are a number of steps you can take to protect yourself and your family from excessive lead levels in drinking water, see for example the information on this US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) site: Lead in Your Drinking Water - Fact Sheet - Archive | Lead In Drinking Water Home | Safewater | US EPA .

Recommendation: Have the water at this property tested for lead. If the lead level is determined to be excessive I recommend the replacement of the water line, the installation of water filtration to remove the lead, or the use of some other reliable method to reduce lead exposure to an acceptable level. As correction could be a significant expense, I recommend you perform this testing and obtain estimates for any required corrective action prior to the expiration of your inspection contingency period and/or consult with an attorney regarding steps you can take to protect yourself from unexpected costs to perform these repairs.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 12-09-2008 at 10:19 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com