Stephen G Sheldon Guest

Default DWV In CRAWL SPACE

I inspected a home where the DVW ran along the floor in the crawl space and out the side under grade. Couldn't tell whether it was of the proper slope, but my question is whether it is ok for the line to be running along the ground in the first place with no support. Would appreciate any feedback.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: DWV In CRAWL SPACE

Yes, it is okay.

There is a requirement for supporting, but the ground can serve as the support.

What is crucial is the slope, and the height of the sewer connection affects, to a large degree, whether or not that may be run on the ground or whether it must be supported.

Notice that I said "may be run on the ground" as it "could also have had a turn vertically and then back horizontally", causing/allowing it to be supported up in the air.

At some point, *it will* run along the ground and into the ground as the slope takes it downward toward the sewer connection.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Pultar Guest

not to be supported by sharp stones... if it was buried you would not even think about slope, protection, support.etc..
    technically, freezing issues may come into play

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pultar View Post
    not to be supported by sharp stones...
    Correct, they are to be in "clean fill".

I've seen some with chunks of dirt in the trenches, when I point them out and the contractor says 'Those are just chunks of dirt.', I pick some up ask 'Mind if I throw this against the pipe then?', after the plumber says 'No, go ahead.' I would throw the chunks against the pipe, when the dirt smashes, I say 'Yep, you are correct.', but twice, the pipe broke, there was a large rock in "the chunk of dirt". I asked if that was "clean fill" and the plumber would have no option but to say 'No, I guess it was not.'

technically, freezing issues may come into play
    Freezing issues are not a 'technicality', freezing issues are in the code for a very good reason. If the code was followed, there would be no burst pipes on homes which are occupied, unless the home was located below the 'freeze line'.

One example of this is North Florida. Almost none of Florida (just a narrow slice across the top of the state) is above the freeze line, yet there are many broken pipes all over North Florida ... because people apply the "minimum code" to their area even though THEY KNOW it freezes there quite often and for hours on end ... but, hey, "I am *not required* to address that ... ", so they don't. They let the homeowner deal with the frozen pipes and leakage later. Just another case of "the builders looking out for their buyers" - don't all builders look out for their buyers?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Stephen G Sheldon Guest

Thanks, gentlemen, for your clarification.

Steve

If and when it gets to the exterior...pvc must be protected from UV rays. So it needs some type of cover/protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    If and when it gets to the exterior...pvc must be protected from UV rays. So it needs some type of cover/protection.

And if you are located above the freeze line (which is basically Interstate 10 from Jacksonville, FL to TX, then the freeze line swings up toward CA), *all plumbing, including DWV* needs to be protected from freezing, which would accomplish the above also.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com