Thread: Eeek!!!!

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Eeek!!!!

No words needed.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Eeek!!!!

Nick- Just cuz things are slow is no reason to come over and criticize my house.

You Philly inspectors get all the good stuff....

And, why should it be any different from any of those other houses on that block?

Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

mike huntzinger Guest

I hope you did not walk out on that porch

So the guardrail doesn't meet code, so what?
    The tool below should take care of the problem.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

"Scaffold is lacking a proper gibbet"

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Such places mess up a schedule something serious.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

John Watson Guest

What's the problem? Looks good to me.

That balcony could easily hold 20 people and a couple smokers below leaning on the posts during a party.

Quote Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
    What's the problem? Looks good to me.

That balcony could easily hold 20 people and a couple smokers below leaning on the posts during a party.

John,

I'm going to "berate" you a little and say you forgot to add the after your comment that it "looks good" to you.

Someone may think your serious in your comment, although we or I know you were being just "sarcastic".

rick

John Watson Guest

That would be too obvious and take the fun out of it.

Michael Greenwalt Guest

And to think a local builder said thats how they always build em. Guess he was right after all looking at Philly decks. Guess I'm the one with mud on my face now. Thanks

Kendall Goad Guest

Now thats artwork!

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    No words needed.
    Nick

Not to pry into your business but when you get homes like that how long does it take for your report writing up every item you find and what is the ballpark cost for all that time.

Just curious. I have inspected many homes that were older and in need of serious help in Mass years ago but honestly I do forget. I almost never get anything that old or messed up now. Well, never.

Ted, when I see crap like this, I don't waste much time or try to write a book on it because........well, I see it too much.

Here's what I said in my report about the deck....."Rear first-floor elevated deck deteriorated, inadequately supported, and unprofessionally repaired in areas ( DECK POSES SAFETY HAZARD AND SHOULD NOT BE USED - deck needs to be replaced)

Here's what I said about the bumpout room next to the deck......"Underside of the 1st floor rear bump out room off kitchen noted as inadequately supported ( only one metal support column noted beneath the entire room - column is out of plumb and corroding at base - no insulation installed on the underside of room - current support system beneath room poses safety hazard - IMMEDIATE REPAIRS NEEDED)"

My total report time unfortunately takes too long. I probably spend 2-2.5 hours per report. I like inspecting but report writing is a major drag.

Ted Menelly Guest

Well, that is a good thing. I do not get into every specific either. There is no need. All you have to mention is a quick note of concerns and pass it on for repair by the appropriate trade. I never understood why some folks mention every nail, piece of siding, deck board and such when you can size it upp for a complete evaluation, estimate and repair.

I use to troddle on with my reports until I found it not necessary. My reports use to take as long as you say. For many years I have forced myself to do the report on site and don't take my eyes off it until it is ready to print. If you do take notes and pictures but want a quick second look at something, well, you are there so it is much easier.

If I find anything wrong with a panel, HVAC, water heater etc, I write the report in such a way that there is no doubt that there can be more repairs needed on such and a complete evaluation should be done by that appropriate tradesman before repairs.

Thumbs up Re: Eeek!!!!

Mother always said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything". Just look at those b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l electric meters! They look like they just came out of the box, and digital too!

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    Mother always said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything". Just look at those b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l electric meters! They look like they just came out of the box, and digital too!
    Randy,

You forgot to add this at the end: "DO NOT STAND UNDER THE DECK while looking at those beautiful meters! I DO NOT want the surviving spouse calling me."

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The realtors around here would describe it as, "Honey, Stop the Car.
    Enjoy the beautiful skyline from your rustic balcony after a hard day. Don't let this one slip by."

rick

wayne wilson Guest

Nick
    Could you send the plans for that deck, Looks like a keeper and many would be interested in it to build down here in TN

Ted Menelly Guest

And just think. You keep your cellar clean by pitching the entire alley into the cellar and washing the dust out. Gee, almost maintenance free.

On a serious note. This is obviously a not so desirable neighborhood and far as well construct homes, yeah think. I hope you stuck a card in every door in that neighborhood.

Brian Thomas Guest

My total report time unfortunately takes too long. I probably spend 2-2.5 hours per report. I like inspecting but report writing is a major drag.
    What software do you use? 2.5 hours to write a report is a long time. Thats how long my first report took to do but I just chalked it up to me not knowing what I was doing Hopefully they go faster from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    What software do you use? 2.5 hours to write a report is a long time. Thats how long my first report took to do but I just chalked it up to me not knowing what I was doing Hopefully they go faster from here on out.
    Thanks for the backhanded words of support Brian. By the way, I have a dog that needs kicking. Can you come right over?

I've been inspecting 6 years now. I don't know what is supposed to magically happen to make my report writing go faster from here on out. I guess I could stop finding as so many defects. That would speed things right along.

When you get to look at crap like John and I see in the Philly area, there's no relief in sight.

Nick,

Not to worry, I've spent more than a day on a single report, many times more than two days.

I think you hit the nail on the head on how to make report writing take less time, though ... "I guess I could stop finding as so many defects. That would speed things right along."

The problem with doing home inspections is that the more experience you get, the more you know, and the more you know, the more you look at, and the more you look at, the more you find wrong, and the more you find wrong, the more you do research on what you found wrong, which leads to more experience, and ... the more experience you get, the more you know and the more you know ... ad infinitum ...

BUT HEY! Find less wrong and the report does not take long at all to write!

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brian Thomas Guest

Thanks for the backhanded words of support Brian. By the way, I have a dog that needs kicking. Can you come right over?

I've been inspecting 6 years now. I don't know what is supposed to magically happen to make my report writing go faster from here on out. I guess I could stop finding as so many defects. That would speed things right along.

When you get to look at crap like John and I see in the Philly area, there's no relief in sight.
    sorry Nick, that sounded bad. Didnt mean to make it sound that way. Just my inexperience getting in the way Anyway, I do agree though, if you are inspecting dumps, then report writing is gonna take considerably longer.

Im definitely in the CYA mode where I want to mark down every little defect I see just to protect myself. I figure eventually I will figure out what does and what doesnt necessarily need to be marked up

That's a Chicago deck just waiting for a Lincoln Park keg party.