Thread: Too much beer

Default Too much beer

I guess someone thought that this was a great solution to their problem. The sequence probably went like this...

1. Side of hill falls into road

2. Owner realizes there is a problem.

3. Someone tells him to get a contractor to fix it.

4. Calls one, but he tells them they need an engineer first.

5. Owner realizes what an engineer costs.

6. Gets a couple 12 packs and sits around with his construction worker buddies, or buddies that used to be in construction, or buddies that knew someone that used to be in construction, or buddies that once watch some construction work.

7. Went for more beer.

8. Someone decided that they needed to built a retaining wall thing. They just were not all that sure how to amke a form to hold the concrete in place, and the concrete is really expensive, and that's a lot of work, and...

9. Went for more beer.

10. Decided that concrete in the sack will harden by itself if left long enough. And they saw sandbags stacked up once on the news. The group then decided they had a plan.

11. Went for more beer, and a couple runs to Home depot.

Here's the final project by the "Good Enuff Construction Company"

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Too much beer

Jack,

Give it a few months when the hot sun causes the paper to deterioate off the bags of concrete and it just look just fine.

Seems to be the latest thing in building retaining walls.

The retaining wall below was built in just 45 min. with the help of several south of the border helpers, a case of Bud, and a couple Domino's pizza's.

Rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Rick, I guess they learned someting at the Alamo. They installed the shooting ports

Jack,

I see something in your picture.

rick

Talking Re: Too much beer

They have been doing that at RR crossings in Oklahoma for many years.

Ya know, Jack. Your creative writing skills have improved considerably over the last few years. I really enjoy reading your blog entries over on Active Rain. I'm glad to see you're sharing some of them here.

BUT, you got a problem with your eyesight.

That's not a retaining wall.

That's a Tennessee stair case going up the hill! If you look close you'll see the handrail. It's required to be low to the ground like that so they can grab it when they're drunk and crawling up the steps.

Good Enuff! (tha'ts a great one!)

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

I have to admit that my eyes must not be as good as they used to be. First I missed the lurking stranger, then the handrail.
    I may have to go by there again tomorrow and take another look.

It's not in a place where I can pull over and park. I just stopped in the road and shot the photo thru the passenger side window before the cars behind me caught up. I'll try again tomorrow and try to solve the mystery.
    And clean my specks

Good morning, Mr. Feldman:

I really object to you making fun of my construction abilities in public. And if you show any photos of the houses that fell over or burned down, I’ll sue.

There is no such thing as "too much beer," and in any event, my wife won’t let me near any hand tools anymore.

Cheers!
    CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell
    Forensic Industrial Hygienist
    Forensic Industrial Hygiene

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Re: Rick's contribution:

"Industry best practice requires fortification walls equipped with arrow loops and more than 30 inches in height to be topped with battlements supplied with machicolations providing compliant hand and guardrails."

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Greetings Mr. Connell,
    I have you know that I was very careful not to mention the house that fell down after it burned at 625 South Northmain Ave that you built. And I will not mention it - ever. Your secret is safe with me.

I contend that whenever someone else has more beer than I do - It's TOO MUCH BEER (for them).

When the rains stop, I will get back for more photos
    JF