Thread: Flashlight?

Default Flashlight?

Anyone have one of these flashlights as shown on the website below.

Scan down on the web page and see the cooking of an egg with the flashlight.

rick

The Torch Flashlight? The World's Brightest Flashlight from Wicked Lasers

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Brent Simmerman Guest

Default Re: Flashlight?

No excuse for not getting breakfast in.

Not impressed. Hot just means inefficient. I have been using the Pelican LED for the past few months. Really bright and weighs much less than the Mag club that I have carried for years.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

$300 just so I can accidentally set the exposed paper facing of the insulation on fire?

Don't think so.

For 1/10th that price you can get a SureFire flashlight ( G2® Nitrolon® Flashlight available in Black, Green, Yellow and Tan from SureFire ) which is more than bright enough most needs. Not for use as a primary flashlight as the battery life (1 hr) is not there for long attic or crawlspace inspections, but for peeking at nameplate labels, seeing in dark spaces, and everyday grab-and-use uses it is great.

I carry mine with me everywhere I go in a belt holster (actually a 9 mm clip holster).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Great... now we can burn off paper equipment labels when we try to read them.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Not impressed. Hot just means inefficient. I have been using the Pelican LED for the past few months. Really bright and weighs much less than the Mag club that I have carried for years.

I like the big Mag club... help with the pit bull... RUN!!!!!

Best

Ron

Kevin Barre Guest

A serious flashlight question here...
    I use Mag rechargeables and always have, so I have no point of reference but also no real complaints, except for the weight. (Although I've never needed to whack a dog, the thought that they would be valuable in that capacity has occurred to me.) But I'm in need of new batteries for mine, so I wondered if some newer technology might be beneficial. I know the Ultra Stinger is brighter, but battery life sucks, and I don't want to carry two into a crawlspace. Considering brightness and battery life, does anyone here who has used a Mag rechargeable know of an overall better replacement?

Ron Bibler Guest

You can get new parts for your mag. i use one up about every 1 to 2 years then just go net a new. i like that i drive nails with have pulled my self up with it and just like the mag and if i ever need to get a dog off my leg i think it will do the trick

Mag man for life.

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Barre View Post
    A serious flashlight question here...
    I use Mag rechargeables and always have, so I have no point of reference but also no real complaints, except for the weight. (Although I've never needed to whack a dog, the thought that they would be valuable in that capacity has occurred to me.)
    An inspector friend of mine killed a dog with his Maglite.

A seller was holding his Doberman back on a heavy chain collar and being a smart butt that if he wanted to he could sick his dog on my friend and the dog would 'go for the kill'. My friend, holding his Maglite in front of him with one hand and hitting it into the palm of his other hand, replied that the dog would be dead before hit the floor. The seller, being the big jerk he was, released slack on the chain and the dog leaped ... my friend, being a rather big guy at 6' 6" tall and stocky, an expert in karate, and a former special forces man, did what anyone with the training would do, he smacked the dog on hits head in mid leap with his Maglite. As my friend told the seller, the dog was dead before it hit the floor.

The seller started yelling and getting ready to fight my friend, threatening to call the police, my friend dialed 911 on his cell phone and let the man rant into the phone, my friend then gave 911 the address.

Before the seller was through ranting, the police were there, responding to a threat to kill (as I said, the seller was a jerk, and he threatened to kill my friend while screaming into the 911 call).

It all did not end well for the seller, and my friend ended the inspection, called is client, explained what happened and told the client he would have to reschedule the inspection for some time when the seller was not there.

The details vary as I was quite a number of years ago and I don't remember all the details, but it was similar to the above.

Maglites CAN kill dogs.

I know the Ultra Stinger is brighter, but battery life sucks, and I don't want to carry two into a crawlspace. Considering brightness and battery life, does anyone here who has used a Mag rechargeable know of an overall better replacement?
    I'd switch to the UltraStinger, you will never go back, then carry a spare flashlight, like the SureFire G2 for backup.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Second the vote to get an Ultra Stinger. I get 4.5 inspections out of a single charge. I turn it on to see things and then turn it off. I use a seperate flashlight for crawlspaces. Maglites are useless in daylight conditions.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Ultra stinger with a spare battery in the truck. But it does suck when it goes dead in a crawl. I always carry a spare or use a head lamp just so I can see to get out. Any flashlight can go dead, but rechargeables seem to do it very quickly at the worst possible time.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ron Bibler Guest

I always do the sub-structure last and thats when my flashlight will go dead every time. but its a lot better then the old days.

I have 2 mag light and they work just fine.
    I don't think about a little extra weight when i was framing in the old days i used a 32oz rigging ax.

Best

Ron

The one problem with my Pelican is that when the battery dies, it dies really quick. It blinks a couple of times and then goes out. Only happened once when I forgot to charge it. I have started carrying a MicroStream by Streamlight. It is a really small penlight that is fairly bright and fits nicely in my pocket.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I'm a flashlight Junkie. Have 2 Ultra Stingers, 2 Streamlights, and a few Maglights that I've had for years.

Once on a Pier and beam I found an antique Winchester made flashlight and have since then had a thing for flashlights. Owner of the house let me have it. Have it setting on a shelf in the office.

I would like to have one of those huge flashlights like you see on "Dog the Bounty Hunter". Would like to see the look on an agents face when you pull one of those out of the truck.

rick

I carry a little Streamlight Stylus for those times when it's dark and I need both hands. I hold it in my mouth.

Streamlight - Stylus® Series - Stylus®

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    An inspector friend of mine killed a dog with his Maglite.
    JP:

I don't like most dogs, but would never intentionally kill one. However on two occasions I have been given the choice between being dinner for some *******'s over-amped hound or slapping them around with my flashlight. I can attest that the three-battery Streamlight, when properly placed upon the nose of an incoming dog, provides a come-to-Jesus experience for the pooch. And it's also a pretty good flashlight, hammer, short crutch to aid in standing my old ass up off the floor, et al.

I once saw a five-battery aluminum flashlight that I thought would be the perfect tool for training the owners of the above mentioned bad doggies. I also had the thought that some genius should invent an aluminum baseball bat with a built-in flashlight to keep beside one's bed at night for intruders. Once you've shot the SOB, you'll be able to locate him in the dark with the light and finish off the job in case your aim was a bit askew. Might even build in a .410 just for fun.

If wishes were horses . . .

I didn't care for my maglite with the preinstalled bulb till I replaced it with a 3 watt LED bulb. Lots of light.

Real men are judged by the size of their flashlight!

Ron Bibler Guest

I would like to see a Mag light with cattle prod attachment.

That do the trick!!!

Best

Ron

Jerry,

Years ago when I worked at the DPD, the issued Maglites were known as kill lights meaning they could be used as a baton if needed.

As far as hitting a dog, I haven't had to go there but I have carried it out the door with me on occasion when there has been a big dog that has not be secured.

Most of the time, I just completely ignore any dog when entering a yard to make them think I'm the one in control and not them. They usually calm down and most will normally let you pet them after a while.

Its those little sit on the couch all day monsters I dread the most. Yappers I call them.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    I don't like most dogs, but would never intentionally kill one. However on two occasions I have been given the choice between being dinner for some *******'s over-amped hound or slapping them around with my flashlight. I can attest that the three-battery Streamlight, when properly placed upon the nose of an incoming dog, provides a come-to-Jesus experience for the pooch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Years ago when I worked at the DPD, the issued Maglites were known as kill lights meaning they could be used as a baton if needed.

As far as hitting a dog, I haven't had to go there but I have carried it out the door with me on occasion when there has been a big dog that has not be secured.

Same here, but when the owner of the dog just threatened you with the dog and what would happen if the dog got loose, and then the jerk released the chain to allow the do to leap into an attack ... you do not know that the jerk dog owner only released 'some' chain, but not enough to let the dog reach you, so you react and defend yourself against the attacking dog ... by simply knocking it across its head. Enough force, though, and that dog will fall lifeless to the ground.

I used to carry a probe pole around the outside of houses with me, one end had a rubber table leg bumper cap, the other end had a weeder epoxied into the handle. One day a large dog came running around the corner of the house barking, growling, yapping like I was going to be dinner (that dog had not moved all the times I had walked near it around the house), acting on instinct for a defensive move I lower the stick just as the dog lept at me ... the dog swallowed the stick down its throat far enough to choke it, gagging and backing off, then it turned and limped away.

Now, if I had been holding my probe stick with the other end up, the steel weeder probe would have gone down its throat, ripping its throat open as it did.

Luck was with that dog that day.

Never clubbed one with a Maglite or a Streamlight, but have come close to doing so.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

JP

If the dog was in the attack mode coming at me and I have a maglite or any other object in the hand I am going to defend myself and strike it too. I don't blame the person you mentioned doing so at all. Heck, I've used a water hose once defense tool on a dog.

Dogs don't bother me so, but I had a goat once that i wished I had a AK-47 to take his arse out with. Now those are mean.

rick

Maybe we just need to hire this young man to go with us on the inspection and let him take care of the pets.

YouTube - Trigon Commercial - Karate

Dave Rice Guest

Wink Re: Flashlight?

Rick I was a cop in Phx, AZ for 35 years and only had one run in with a bull dog at a search warrant. Had to shoot him 4 times with a 223 before he would stop. The ones I don't like is when the owner tells you "Oh he won't bite" Why don't he tell the dog that. I tell the owner that if he lets his dog bite me I will either sue him or kill the dog. Usually does the trick. Don't like them getting close enough to hit with a flash light. I may miss and then get bit.

David,

Everytime I hear someone say "does your dog bite" I always think of this scene.

YouTube - Does your dog bite?

4 times with a .223 wow! What kind of dog was it? Must have been on PCP.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

The rabid raccoon has his teeth in a woman and after 15 to 20 minutes she was able to get her son and husband to come out where she was. She had her knee holding the animal down. The husband (or son, I forget) beat this raccoon off and on for 10 minutes with a tire iron and finally killed it just as the daughter showed up with a knife.

If an animal is obsessed enough or sick enough do not count on knocking this animal down with one blow of a flashlight. I had a German Shepard that was the sweetest dog in the world until another dog came within 50 feet of me. He was an x police dog with a little twisted arrangement of his brain cells. He would attack and then grab the other dogs collar from underneath and when he came up he twisted the collar, slowly trying to choke them to death. I was 14 and hit kicked and punched that dog for five minutes before I could get him to let one of those dogs go. He almost killed that dog while I was beating him. Another time I stepped outside my front door and before the door closed this dog saw four neighbor dogs in the right front yard. He literally knocked me out of the way and attacked all four dogs and tour all them a new but hole with all of these dogs (not little dogs) could not get away fast enough. Mr German Shepperd finally went out to the country with some folks we new. Never harmed another dog unless I was there. Never harmed or hinted to harm a human. Of course no one ever tried to attack me when he was around so I do not know what would have happened.

Remember. Dogs do not have the reasoning power of humans. Most go from mean to absolutely vicious when you try to hurt them.

Ted Menelly Guest

Another animal story

I went hunting in New Hampshire years ago. This one large buck got at least 8 rounds into it, large caliber, as it ran past every one of us as we were moving thru the woods to an area we were going to hunt. We tracked the dear to its final place to eventually come to rest. It was at an embankment filled with holes with its front legs still trying to work its way up the embankment. Many of the rounds should have stopped this animal from any movement at all instantly. The first round nicked it and the adrenaline kicked in from there.

While on the subject of wild animals, someone just emailed me this so I thought I'd pass it along.

Funny story.

Thought you might get a kick out of this.

Subject:

Deer roping

Actual letter from someone who farms, writes well and tried this!

I had this idea that I was going to rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it.

The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.
    I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it.

After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up -- 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw..my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold. The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it...it took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope and then received an education.

The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope.

That deer EXPLODED.

The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity.

A deer-- no chance.

That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined.

The only up side is that they do not have as much stamina as many other animals. A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope.

I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing, and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual.

Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in, so I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder - a little trap I had set before hand...kind of like a squeeze chute.

I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist.
    Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head--almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective. It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds.

I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now), tricked it.

While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose. That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp. I learned a long time ago that, when an animal
    --like a horse --strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape.

This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy.

I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run.

The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down. Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head. I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away.

So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring a rifle with a scope to sort of even the odds.

All these events are true so help me God...

Sincerely, Chuck O'Hearn

Ted Menelly Guest

My face hurts an I am still wiping the tears away as they are still running down my face from laughing so hard.

MaMa Mount Guest

Mr. Hurst, that story about the deer just made my day. I only wish that every deer hunter could read that letter.

Are you not a deer hunter Mama Mount? Everyone I've known from Oklahoma would take one down in a heartbeat. Shoot at one from the front porch or from the window of a truck if need be.

Personally I only shoot game with a camera now. Just as fun and not near the mess.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Rick, I guess for some of us city folks back East here, you're going to have to explain what a raccoon is doing on the back of a hog, if you don't mind.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

John,

Where do you think the term, "riding a hawg" came from?

The animals do some strange things at night. Thats why they call it the wild.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

That is a big bat flying over the dear isn't it. If it is, how lucky a shot is that??????