Default Testing the blinds inside of doors

I was curious how many of us test the blinds that are inside the glass on exterior doors?

I confess, that I don't always check the function of the blinds that are inside the glass. For the most part, blinds are not required to be tested under Standards of Practice's that I have read.

The other day, I justhappened to test the function of the blinds and found that one of the sliders (outof the four) did not work. So the blinds could go up and down, but you could not adjust the angle.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Testing the blinds inside of doors

I don't test any blinds. To me, they are just an annoying obstacle to what I want to look at.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

I also don not test integral blind systems. I am curious if anyone tests the tilt-out function of single hung windows?

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    I also don not test integral blind systems. I am curious if anyone tests the tilt-out function of single hung windows?
    Single or double hung, I test a "representative" number of them. I also do it to demonstrate them to the client, because some folks have no idea the windows have this feature and it makes me look like a genius.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Single or double hung, I test a "representative" number of them. I also do it to demonstrate them to the client, because some folks have no idea the windows have this feature and it makes me look like a genius.
    John: Though I wouldn't mind being viewed as a genius, I find that some of these windows (especially the vinyl ones) don't work so well. Then you might find yourself in the position to go through the house and operate all of them in this mode . . . Just a thought.

Jim Zborowski Guest

I normally do not check blinds as they are usually inexpensive to replace, except for the custom ones, of course. Also, they are more a decorating item than anything.
    However, as windows / doors with integral blinds are are considerably more expensive and are part of the window / door unit, I do test those.

Ted Menelly Guest

Blinds in the doors, yes.

Single hung windows, yes.

Double hung windows, yes.

Tilt windows, yes.

I check every window I can get to.

I think to not tell folks that the blinds between the glass does not work is not right. For them to find out after the purchase will certainly at least leave a sour thought about the inspector when they find out how much the replacement is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I was curious how many of us test the blinds that are inside the glass on exterior doors?...
    I think I misunderestimated the question.

The blinds that are actually inside the doors? Between the glass panes? Yes, I test those, for sure.

Ron Bibler Guest

Ever break one ? Or have one come off the wall ?

Best

Ron

Jack,

If your talking about the blinds in a patio type door, I do inspect those too. Being that they are part of a componet of the door I think we should check them. I've seen a many of them that do not work properly and the folks at the big box stores usually tell them to replace the door. Thats an expense I don't want to pay for so I just call it out.

As far as the other blinds on the windows as such, I don't call them out or test them. I've had so many of the cheap vinyl one just fall off the wall with the slightest tug on the string that I have come to despise blinds.
    I have had a few homeowners think I should replace their cheap blind because it fell off the wall. After explaining to them that their (1) improperly mounted and sized screw they used or the (3) lbs. of dust on the blind is why they fell off the wall they wind up agreeing with me and fixing themselves.

rick

Yes I was talking about the blinds that are between the panes of glass in the doors. I have to say, that I have not been checking every one of them I find. Until now anyway.
    What is interesting about this house is:
    9 year old house, and they replaced the glass in the patio doors. It had been raining with heavy winds the night before. There was a little puddle at the bottom of the door. It is leaking around the glass.
    When I opened the door and looked at the edge, it was rotted out. So within the last 3 months, they replaced the glass, but ignored the rotted door core.
    I just happen to catch the broken blind.

It might be something that I check without thinking, kind of like the tilt out features. I didn't think about it, but I just check it when I am opening the windows (by routine).

Russel Ray Guest

I do what Ted does (post #7).

Robert Skinner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Do it all the time especially because the client usually isn't aware they even have that feature.

Mark Northrup Guest

Yes you in most states are not required to check all windows.
    But do you want to field the call for a complaint from not checking all of them.
    I do check the blinds if they are in between the glass. If it is just the type that hang in front of the window than they are just like curtins. And are not inspected. Your client does deserve to get the very best from their inspector.

Mark,

First thing, welcome to the board.

I think that most of everyone on board here probably inspects every Accessible window that we can.

Some homeowners furnishings may obstruct access to the window or some windows may be at such a height that they are not reasonalbly accessible. To say that every window was tested is not always possible.

rick

Mark Northrup Guest

Rick
    Thanks for welcoming me.

Oh yes i understand only ones that are accessible. Maybe i read it wrong but I thought one said that he only does a representive number of windows.
    Thanks Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Northrup View Post
    Maybe i read it wrong but I thought one said that he only does a representive number of windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Single or double hung, I test a "representative" number of them.
    The phrase "representative sample", or as John more aptly stated it "representative number", is used in most Standards of Practice, which a guideline of minimum things one needs to do to follow the SoP.

However, if one is doing a "representative sample" and does not select any bad ones, and bad ones exist, then the sample is not "representative" of all windows installed.

In the above case, though, John's "representative number" would still apply.

It is best, of course, to check each and every one which is "reasonably" accessible (don't just say "accessible" because, that window behind that 2 ton grand piano *is* accessible - you just have to move the piano first).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Eric Shuman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Blinds in the doors, yes.

Single hung windows, yes.

Double hung windows, yes.

Tilt windows, yes.

I check every window I can get to.

I think to not tell folks that the blinds between the glass does not work is not right. For them to find out after the purchase will certainly at least leave a sour thought about the inspector when they find out how much the replacement is.

Ditto what Ted said.

I test all windows I can get to and if the tilt feature can be opened i.e., no built in shutters etc., blocking the tilt feature, I test them too. Half the time the buyers (and sellers) are not even aware of the tilt feature.

Typically it doesn't take much longer to test the tilts and I often find issues.

Blinds between glass panes at doors, yes.

Blinds hanging over windows? I usually have to operate them to get to the windows but I do not comment on them.

Eric