Default 220 breaker from 2 110's?

Again, I'm a little confused as to how to properly describe this, but here it goes. Inspection at a condominium complex yesterday and I'm looking at the panel. There is a "regular" sized 20amp breaker with a "handletie" (of sorts) to one side of a 20amp twin breaker. They are servicing a baseboard heater. This just seems very wrong. Any opinions?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Jeff Remas Guest

Default Re: 220 breaker from 2 110's?

It does not appear to be an OEM handle tie from Square D for their QO series breaker.

The handle tie needs to be listed for that application which I doubt that it is.

I am not aware of any OEM, listed handle ties approved by SqD for use in this application. I don't think the twin on the bottom has the pulling power to trip the upper breaker.

Easy fix, write it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Remas View Post
    It does not appear to be an OEM handle tie from Square D for their QO series breaker.
    Jeff,

It looks like those handles ties Square D first came out with. They had a circular disc in the middle, with tapered sides, and small diameter ends sticking out each side. I never liked them because they were a bit floppy, but they were from Square D and they did externally trip the other half when one half tripped ... at least most of the time (occasionally they would not)

See them here: square D qo handle ties - Google Product Search

I am not aware of any OEM, listed handle ties approved by SqD for use in this application. I don't think the twin on the bottom has the pulling power to trip the upper breaker.
    That would also be my concern, plus the fact that those handle ties may be listed only for use in full-size breakers. That narrow handle on the twin might allow the handle tie to be too floppy even if it did have enough force to trip the other one.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Not good, fix it.
    I would venture to guess that space was tight in the panel and the jury-rig was done to make everything fit and avoid replacing the panel or more breakers. I doubt Square-D would approve.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

JORY LANNES Guest

I would start with Who manufactured the panel and the breaker? Not compatible "write it up"