Thread: Gap at apex

Jeff Eastman Guest

Default Gap at apex

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Jeff Eastman; 12-19-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Gap at apex

Jeff
    Report what you see!
    If you don't know the cause, report what you see.
    Don't guess, or try to come up with some elaborate conclusion, just report what you see.
    There are many things that "could" cause that, but there is not enough information available to say with any certainty what it is. Well not for me anyhow.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

No concern, No issue. OK? Get out the caulk and paint. Stick to the big problems. Things like this go under the gaps at trim require sealing BLAH,BALh ,BAlh

James Duffin Guest

IMHO it is a big enough gap to need caulking to keep out water. (this is based on what can be seen in the picture)

I wouldn't be too concerned about it on a twenty year old house based on normal wood shrinkage. It's pretty common in our area.

Jeff Euriech
    Peoria Arizona

There is no such separation in the white rake boards below. My money is on shrinkage and I would not go further than a verbal comment with the client.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

James Duffin Guest

Curious as to why a gap in one joint affects the gap in another joint? It appears that the boards with a gap was cut too short, caulked, and then the caulk fell out. The bottom board was cut properly when first installed....no caulking. Please explain why the top boards shrunk and the bottom boards did not shrink.

Richard Rushing Guest

While I agree that is probably just shrinkage over years... I would also say that this could be a *symptom* of other concerns that needed to be verified to be present or not present, such as the lack of or broken rafter supports or collar ties. Or, it could be overspanning of the collar ties.

There are alot of other things to check for instead of just looking at the symptoms. Look for what may have caused the symptoms from the attic side.

Rich