Eldon (Scooter) Holliday Guest

Default Roofer said no problem

Photos taken where valley drains against brick veneer above a two story entryway. Builder said his roofer took a look and doesn't see a problem. Wanted to see if anyone had the link to a site that shows flashing detail.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Richard Pultar Guest

Default Re: Roofer said no problem

insane

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

That thing will leak like a sieve. It's bad enough the flashing isn't tucked into the mortar but they didn't even attempt a cheap-o caulk seal either.

http://www.bia.org/pdfs/Flashing%20C...TOKEN=72534626

Lots of information at the BIA site.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

ALL HOME INSPECTORS SHOULD REMEMBER THAT IF A BUILDER IS TALKING DIRECTLY TO YOU, HE'S PROBABLY LYING.

WHAT YOUR QUESTIONING HIM ABOUT IS JUST GOING TO CAUSE HIM MORE WORK AND HE IS TRYING TO MAKE YOU QUESTION YOUR JUDGEMENT CALL.

DO YOUR JOB, AND IGNORE WHAT HE HAS TO SAY.

rick

Richard Rushing Guest

Scooter,

Stand by what you have reported and have told the homebuyer. Let them know that you have given them the information and are confident that if they ignore what you stated in your written report, you know that, at some point, you will be getting a call from them (in the future) wanting to know what to do then...

Let them know that the poor information provided by an un-skilled/ un-trained contractor will have long lasting ramifications and could ultimately lead to mold that may not be seen until it has caused considerable damages. Ask them if the contractor who stated, it was "okey-dokey" was willing to put his guarantee in writing that this sucker would not leak.

Just tell the homeowner you don't want to receive that call after you already told them what was going to happen... then take a look at the expression on their face.

Rich

Guys,

Remember the other recent thread on something similar: That *is not a brick chimney*, thus it does not get flashed like one. That is a brick veneer wall, it is required to have a 1" minimum air space behind the brick veneer and through-the-wall flashings.

*IF* that brick veneer wall is constructed properly (and it most like is not), then those flashings in that photo are not really even needed, and, in fact, may create a problem by blocking off the weep holes in the brick veneer and may be better off *not being there at all*.

There is not enough shown in the photo, and not enough other information to know *how right* or *how wrong* that is, but ... it is "most likely" either *wrong for being there incorrectly* or *wrong for being there at all* ... and, yes, there is a big difference between the two.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Keep in mind what Rick said as it is frequently true.

How do you know if a builder is lying to you?

First evidence: His lips are moving.

Second evidence: Sound is coming from the direction of those moving lips.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Unless there is flashing coming out from under those bricks and lapping over the shingles then there has to be step flashing tucked under ever shingle and a cap flashing. As most of you know there is more than likely no flashing coming out under the brick. I do so many homes where there is a brick veneer wall with a roof coming down at a slope along side of that wall where there is step flashing and a cap flashing over the step flashing with the cap flashing cut into the brick.

No matter how you look at it and how it is or is not flashed each shingle on the slope against the brick has to have flashing over it capped by the next shingle all the way up or water is going to get under those shingles. If the flashing is stepped then there has to be a cap flashing. This is one of those case that no matter how they flash it it is going to be wrong in some way.

I have seen where there was a short stem wall framed above the roof line and capped with a piece of flashing that goes up behind the brick and also laps over the stem wall and used as the cap flashing for the step flashing. Over the years brick veneer above the roof line on a roof slope has about been eliminated altogether because of the flashing problem. About the only time I see it is where there is the front face of a wall brick veneered wall with a small roof sloping away from it and all of them run into the "How do I flash that properly problems" All the new homes I see are flashed one way or another and both ways would be considered wrong for one reason or another. Almost all have a cut in the mortar line to put a cap over the flashing over the top shingle of the slope and then they nail through that flashing to cap off the flashing with another strip of shingle for looks. Kinda kills the idea of the flashing with nails thru it. Anyway. 90% of all I inspect are done wrong for one reason or another.

As far as your idea Jerry all brick chimneies are flash wrong because water can get behind the brick in a chimney just like it does in a wall. I think you would be better off flashing a wall above a roof line like a chimney for the safest bet. A chimney is just a wall anyway no matter how you look at it. Just kinda short.

There is still the option to install brick with no air space, by filling the void completely. How are you guy's sure that there is an air space?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    How are you guy's sure that there is an air space?
    Brandon,

We are only sure of one thing: That we are not sure of anything.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Frank Suchodolski Guest

1. If the brick veneer extends through the roof, then there is no way to flash it properly (or can you install a through wall flashing on veneer on an angle?).

2. If the veneer starts at roof level then it should be flashed like a stucco detail. Step flashing against chimney frame (#15 felt wrapped from roof up behind steps), building wrap lapping over steps, battens to create airspace, then install mesh for brick veneer.

The only thing that is VERY clear on the picture is that it is ...WRONG! The roofer said "No problem, it only leaks when it rains!"

Correct way!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Frank Suchodolski Guest

That is not a brick veneer detail, you can't do that if it is veneer. It becomes a stucco detail, you wouldn't cut a reglet into stucco.

How bout this one. New aluminum roof over old asphalt shingle roof. It looked like they just put C channel around the chase and filled it with caulk. I say it is wrong and there should be flashing extending under the wood siding and out on top of the aluminum roof. I don't see many aluminum roofs though and wondered if I am missing something?

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Frank,

Really nothing right about that installation, the flashing should not only go in behind that wood siding, but also behind what is behind it.

What will they think of next? Making it look like a "wood chimney" ... sheesh, I thought everyone learned long ago that wood chimneys caught fire and burned, like the wood in the fireplace.

Hey, Dude, look at my house with the wood chimney!

Umm ... Dude ... don't you know that wood burns?

Oh ...

I know it is fake, but at least make "fake" look like something "real".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com