Jake Guerrero Guest

Question Marketing - Flyers, Brochures, etc.

Got a question. How do people feel about offering a flyer or brochure with a coupon to say, a couple of Real Estate offices very near where you live?

I know that others have done it. I'm sure the old hands will say, 'I charge what I'm worth, I don't want price shoppers'. Which is not really what I'm trying to accomplish. I get price shopper calls too, and let them know whether they choose me or not, they should not be shopping for an inspection based on price.

I'm talking about generating business or referrals from a real estate office, something that I have not done yet. You see, I would love to have a referral base built and remain independent, however my wife would like to be able to shop at Victoria's Secret again

I've run into at least one inspector that thinks that coupons are 'unprofessional', or they show you are 'desperate' for business.

My idea was a brochure or flyer or card, with a discount, with an expiration date. Not "I always offer $20.00 off if you refer me". I'm not trying to "get an inspection" with the coupon, I'm trying to increase my presence in my immediate area.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Brian E Kelly Guest

Default Re: Marketing - Flyers, Brochures, etc.

I am new to the business and have not built up a referal list as of yet. I have done broucures before and have been updating them every 2-3 months, with different offers. I believe that this is a good way for me to help my company and my needs. There are always going to be different people who say this is not good but they tend to be HI's that have been in business for more than a year and have a referal base and do not need Real Estate Agents referals. Not all Realitors are bad and I have found out in my area who the good ones and who are not. I am very fussy as to where I leave my broucures as there is a cost to these. That being said, I do my own broucures and printing. These look just as good and even better than my other HI'S in my are that pay printers to do them up. My actual cost per 3 fold broucuer is about $.30/each, including paper and ink. You do what makes your businiess a sucess and take everyones advise with the good and bad. You make that decision.

Jake Guerrero Guest

Brian, good point regarding the business side.

Thanks for the advice.

Jake,
    I'm glad that you realize that you have a business to run, as well as being an Inspector. This is one of those topics that will generate as many differing opinions as responders. Whatever you do that generates a 2% or greater response rate could be called successful if it at least covers your net costs.

Before I built a substantial Client referral base, my best results came from informational brochures I left in the RE offices and from articles that some of the community magazines allowed me to contribute. I had a very low response rate from the coupon types you are considering. That does not mean that your result would be the same.

The only coupons I offer now are hand printed on the back of my business card that I give to my Client after the Inspection. It's a simple $25 off offer for whomever they give the card to. Their friend gets the discount if they use me. I live off Client referrals, but I only get back 3 or 4 of these "coupons" a year.

Joining a local chapter of a National civic group, KIWANIS, was my best decision as a new Inspector. Though I joined to give back some that I have been so blessed to be given, the membership has provided MANY jobs over the years.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Over the years I have used coupons, brochures, flyers ,etc with success and failure with all of them at one time or another.

Flyers worked well for me in So CA, but did nothing in TN.

Rather than offer a discount, why not offer an added service at a reduced price. Such as - "radon test half off with inspection"., or FREE water pressure test with home inspection.

What you are trying to do is spark interest. A cash discount will do that, but so will many other things that don't take money out of your pocket. Try different things and find out what works for you.
    Good luck
    JF

Jake Guerrero Guest

Tom, thanks for the advice. Maybe I should look into some local or national civic organizations. It sounds like a win-win.

Jack, that would definately be easier on my wallet. I was also thinking of giving away a fire extinguisher or a carbon monoxide detector.

Sounds like I just need to find out for myself.

Brian E Kelly Guest

Jack
    I offer a free fire safety device ( smoke det, fire ext.) and it is not going as well as the money off discount that I ran this winter.
    FYI, I am also a Rotarian and have not gotten any referrals from this but that was not the reason I joined the Rotary. I am sure that eventually the association will provide me with referrals and that would be an added bonus.

Jim Dull Guest

I don't market to realtors. I have a add in the service section of the local paper which also includes the free shopper. This is simply a photo of my business card. That costs me $15 per week. I also belong to the chamber of commerce which allows me to offer "specials". The last special I ran was for a 10% discount for first time home buyers. I ran it for a month and received 2 inspections from it. I also send out letters to sellers. I get the address from realtor.com and mail 10 per week. So far, I have mailed 20 and did one inspection as a result. Every time you take a education course, submit a press release to the local paper. Sometimes they will print them and sometimes they won't but it doesn't hurt to try. I just purchased an infrared camera and as soon as I am certified, I will do a press release. Try lots of different things and track each of them for results and then continue with the ones that work.