Default garage door reversing informationm - by request

OREP Insurance
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: garage door reversing informationm - by request

I wonder why the object placed under the door has to be white? (according to the document)

That does seem odd but I would guess that it has something to do with scattering the beam emitted by the photo sensors. The white surface must have a particular property that they want to take advantage of in the test.

Tim Moreira Guest

I like the part of where it says "...testing of the reversing mechanism shall be done by using your hands..."

Tim Moreira Guest

OK, OK, OK, I made that up...sorry...couldn't resist.

Thanks Jerry.

On the safety guide manual I guess the folks there need a spell check.

What is a manula?

Wink Re: garage door reversing informationm - by request

The folks at Professional Equipment now have the needed "White 2X4" for garage door operation testing for only $119.95

Just ordered mine.

OMG! If these first two directives aren't cases of lawyers gone wild, I don't know what is. This falls right in there with the sticker inside windshield screens that tells the owner not to operate the vehicle with it in place.

As soon as finish with the "Ground Up" project I'm starting a new Country. Any law, policy, or procedure that takes more than one type written, double space, 12 font page won't be allowed.

This is a door opener for god's sake! Here, let me help.

MANUFACTURER: Your crap better work. Make what you want. Charge what you want, but if it fails as a result of defects in the first 3 years, you're replacing it. And if it hurts or kills somebody because it's a piece of crap, we're going to retaliate Old Testament style. Capiche?

INSTALLER: YOU HAD BETTER NOT THINK YOU'RE SMARTER THAN THE MANUFACTURER, YOU DIP WAD. Follow the instructions. If it breaks in the first three years because your ego exceeds your IQ, you personally are going to buy the customer a new one of his choice AND you're going to replace whatever it damages. If it hurts or kills someone and we prove it was your installation, we're going to handle this Old Testament style. Capiche?

CUSTOMER: If the Manufacturer made it right and that dip wad installer installed it correctly and you still manage to break something or hurt or kill someone, what can we say? Your bad. It's a freegin' door opener not a toy. DON'T PLAY WITH IT! You have no idea what you're messing with, so leave it alone. And don't give us that "But what about my kids?" crap. Figure out who's the adult in the house. Slap the snot out of anyone else who touches the button. If it hurts or kills one of your kids, we're throwing a Darwin Society party. Capiche?

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Bob White Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Walker View Post
    OMG! If these first two directives aren't cases of lawyers gone wild, I don't know what is. This falls right in there with the sticker inside windshield screens that tells the owner not to operate the vehicle with it in place.

As soon as finish with the "Ground Up" project I'm starting a new Country. Any law, policy, or procedure that takes more than one type written, double space, 12 font page won't be allowed.

This is a door opener for god's sake! . . . .
    I ended my former career as "Director of Compliance" with a medical device manufacturer and servicer. It was my job to know and understand certain portions of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), explain the regs to executive management, and devise ways that our departments could meet the requirements for doing what the government said to do and documenting the fact that we did it.

The CFR is an unwieldy thing, so the guv (the FDA, at least), in its attitude of helpfulness, also publishes a "Commentary" on certain of its regulations. One reg and commentary with which I became familiar was 21 CFR 820, The "Quality System Regulation" (formerly known as the Good Manufacturing Practices regulation for medical devices.)

The regulation itself was 12 pages of small font, three column geek-speak. The Commentary, which explained to us what they really meant, was closer to 50 pages.

I like this job better.

Rick,

Don't forget to order three of them, in designer white. For better visibility with the company logo.

imported_John Smith Guest

This is great information if your planning on manufacturing garage door openers. As far as inspecting them, I guess you may get some type of guidance from this.

SOPs, common sense, review the last 10,000 posts on IN relating to inspecting garage door reversing.

Angry Re: garage door reversing informationm - by request

Thanks Jerry for ruining my day! The stupidity of the CPSC never fails to boggle my alleged mind. And - guess what; it’s going to get worse when you consider who our government just appointed to head up that committee! Whatever happened to good old common sense?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Whatever happened to good old common sense?
    Died along with our youth.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good