mike huntzinger Guest

Default what type of camera are using

Does anyone know a good DUST proof camera and keep the cost to around $150 I have a older HP with 5mp. and is failing any comments are welcome

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: what type of camera are using

Try one of these add on cases, instead of buying a special camera.

Aquapac | 100% Waterproof | Official Site for USA

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Agree on a case for the camera as opposed to a specialized camera. If dust has gotten inside your camera lense, you'll just need to buy a new one. The same thing happend with my Nikon Coolpix. Whenever I took pics of a white wall or ceiling, the pic was littered with dots and shadows. I replaced it with another Coolpix but I keep this one in a case on my belt and when not in use in the case in my bag.

I also use a case, on my belt. I've never had a dust problem. My last two cameras have been Sony. Pretty happy with them.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Wink Re: what type of camera are using

I use the Kodak M763. It's small, has a retracting lens, you can pick your pixel density, and has a 3X zoom (mechanical) with digital zoom too, I think 9X, it does close-up macro stuff as well for those tight spots. It takes SD cards so you can take as many pics as you need. I carry two (one for back-up). The price is $100 -$125.

KODAK EASYSHARE M763 Digital Camera Specifications

I replaced my nikon with the Kodak easyshare z712is last year. It's been pretty good so far. Been dropped a number of times, dust, dirt, etc. Battery lasts pretty good. I'd recommend it. It was under $200 when I got it.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

mike huntzinger Guest

markus what kind of batterys are they

Cannon cheapie.... around $130 and falling. There's really no dust/dirt proof camera. Losing and breaking cameras is just part of this work. I just don't spend much on one. I usually far more bummed about the pictures from a given inspection that I lose on the memory stick than the camera itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    ... I usually far more bummed about the pictures from a given inspection that I lose on the memory stick than the camera itself.
    I use a memory card reader rather than a usb cable to the camera so that even when the camera dies, I just pop the card into the reader to get the pics. I don't think I have ever lost a pic due to a camera malfunction, of course I download everything from the camera card to my hard drive before I even write the report.

Do you guys that use the camera case "baggies" leave the camera in the case all the time or just in harsh environments?
    I have thought about a zip-lock bag on crawl spaces, but never really tried it.
    I do use canned air to clean the lens and mechanicals on a regular basis.
    Had a sticking lever the other day and dental floss cleaned the grit right out.
    Now if I can just stop dropping the camera!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I just use the little cheap Casio type camera (has the youtube sticker on the front). Have it in one of the canvas protectors with a neck strap. I drag it under the house, and the attic. Have a 3 gb card, so plenty of pictures can be taken. Place it on the charger each night and download the pics through the usb cable.

Like Jim said, the only problem I have is dropping it. I swear it just jumps out of my hand on its own though.

Got a nice camera for Christmas already, but the gatekeeper here has already laid down the law, its not for the HI business but for me to take pictures of that new grandson with. I'll wear her down soon on that.

rick

I got tired of buying a new camera every 6 months so I searched for a waterproof one. since waterproof also = dust proof, it works fine. I bought an Olympus Stylus S-720SW
    unit for about $150. The current models go for more but you can step back a year or two and find the older model for a lot less. They are the same specs. This one is waterproof and "shock proof" for a drop of 5 feet, has a super hard 2-1/2 " view screen and works great. 3X optical zoom. It fits in the leather belt case that I used for my canons.
    Several other inspectors that I work with also bought these and are very happy.
    Add-on cases are too cumbersome.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

I use a rechargable batt mainly but keep a spare pack of AA in my bag. Since I started just wearing the thing around my neck, it falls less and stays cleaner.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I am a big fan of Olympus Ultra Zooms. I am currently using a C-725 I bought off of eBay. They are 3 megapixel cameras. I don't need more resolution as the software just shrinks them into the report. The Ultra zoom means that it has an optical 10X zoom. Great for getting detail on a roof or attic.

I use a Olympus point and shoot for crawlspaces. So far I've dragged it through the crawls and holding up fine. I use NiCads and change them out of my main camera everyday. I have several sets that I just rotate through the chargers.

I've found the Olympus's to be rough and tough. I have dropped them off if ladders and they keep on going.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

I just use a cheap Kodak camera $129. It's about time for a new one. I use this camera in every attic and crawlspace that I inspect. It gets dragged, dropped, and covered in dirt on a regular basis. I use the shop vac to suck the dust and dirt out of the lens after I get back from the inspection. So far this is my second cheap Kodak inspection camera. To me I justs seems best to buy a cheap camera every 1-1-1/2 years.

10X zoom. Great for getting detail on a roof or attic.
    The super zoom is nice but in dark areas, the flash does not reach as far as the lens will so it's a black hole in the end.
    <clipped>

//Rick[/quote]

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Ted Menelly Guest

Sony super cyber shot DSCT300 10 mega pixel

A leather case has a belt loop slot in the back.

Great camera. You can mark the pictures with an arrow if you want right after taking the picture. Cost is a little steep but hopefully it will last a couple more years at least.

I use to have another sony that was a tank. I dropped it so many times off of ladders or going up the stairs into attics and it never died. It just got worn out over time.

Ron Bibler Guest

I have a little HP. No moving parts. I always try to keep 2 on hand...

My first camera was the Sony Mavika I think it was around $ 750.00
    13 photos to a floppy disk. funny to think back about that now.

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    My first camera was the Sony Mavika I think it was around $ 750.00
    13 photos to a floppy disk. funny to think back about that now.

Ron,

I had two of those. Both were 10x optical zoom.

Then I went to the Sony CDR one. Also 10x optical zoom.

Then I went to Olympus. Also 10x optical zoom, but did not have the infrared focus the Sony had. Without that infrared focus, you would have to shine the flashlight, focus, then turn the flashlight off or away so it did not affect the flash.

I've had a couple of different Olympus models since the first one.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Ron,

I had two of those. Both were 10x optical zoom.

Then I went to the Sony CDR one. Also 10x optical zoom.

Then I went to Olympus. Also 10x optical zoom, but did not have the infrared focus the Sony had. Without that infrared focus, you would have to shine the flashlight, focus, then turn the flashlight off or away so it did not affect the flash.

I've had a couple of different Olympus models since the first one.
    Jerry I for got all about that. L.O.L. I remember the first time i figured that out... i was so happy that i could take a photo under the home.

Thanks for the memories

Best

Ron