Default Ultra Stinger question

Santa brought me an Ultra Stinger with both chargers for Christmas. Wow, this thing is brighter than I thought it might be. Anyway, does the LED light on the charger go out once the battery is fully charged?

While I'm at it, Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks for your help over the past year.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Ultra Stinger question

Indicator lamp will stay on after charging is complete. You'll notice that as the bulb accumulates some time on it that it will loose some of its brilliance. Too bad they don't have a spare bulb storage capability like the Maglights do.

I do the charging in the truck. Even if left on the charger for a couple of days, the drain on the vehicle battery seems to be minimal.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

My home charger blinks when fully charged.
    Make sure if you have the car charger that you have a constant 12v source rather than a switched source. The manufacturer instructions caution about that to prevent the automatic charge from cycling repeatedly if my memory serves correctly. I charge mine at home and keep a spare charged battery and bulb in the truck.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

John, I'm pretty sure the fast charger will blink, but the standard charger light stays on.

Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    John, I'm pretty sure the fast charger will blink, but the standard charger light stays on.
    My fast charger, in my vehicle, blinks when the charging is done, and, for some reason, in cold weather when I first put the flashlight in it.

My standard charger never blinks or indicates in any way that charging is complete, which has always annoyed me.

I have two Ultra-Stingers, with a few spare bulbs in my vehicle.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

When all else fails, read the instructions
    http://www.streamlight.com/documents...es_Op_Inst.pdf

The optional Stinger fast charger should always be connected to an unswitched power source to prevent repeated

and unnecessary fast charge initiation.
    FAST CHARGING
    If you have purchased a Stinger with an optional Fast Charger, the Stinger Fast Charger will charge a fully depleted
    Stinger battery in good condition within 2.5 hours. When the Stinger is placed into the fast charger, the red LED will
    blink rapidly a few times then glow, indicating the fast charge rate (700 ma) is being applied. Special circuitry senses
    when the battery has received a full charge, switches to a lower "maintenance" charge rate and causes the LED to
    blink, indicating the maintenance rate is being applied and that the Stinger has received a full charge. A secondary
    safety circuit will discontinue the fast rate after approximately 3.5 hours if for any reason the primary circuit fails to

terminate the fast charge.

PIGGYBACK
    ® CHARGER

When the battery is slipped into the charger, the red light will glow indicating that the battery is being charged at
    a steady rate. Charging will continue as long as power is applied to the charger. The battery may be continuously
    charged in the PiggyBack charger at any temperature above 0ºF. The light should go out when the battery is

removed from the charger.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Hmmm... "read the instructions", you say?
    It sounds crazy, but what the heck, I'll give it a try!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I don't have the quick charger. It's too bad that lights on the other chargers don't indicate when it's fully charged. At least it's safe to leave it in the charger continuosly.

I'm still impressed how much light this thing throws out. Even the reflection of the spot of the wall will blind you. I took it out in the yard at night. It's like a friggin search light. Awesome!

Last edited by John Dirks Jr; 12-27-2008 at 03:58 PM.

John, they are great lights. I have 3 ultra stingers and one stinger. Have had them for 7-9 yrs and can't say I'd switch to any other. They will shine right through a 3 cell mag and others.
    Enjoy your present!

Last edited by Rick Vernon; 12-27-2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling
    If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

Great flashlights. We have 3. None of the chargers blink, just stay on. I have the yellow poly stinger, extra bulb is in the end cap.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

John, keep in mind the Ultra Stinger does not have a great battery life. The nice thing is it has the car charger so you can charge between inspections, although more than one inspection in a day has not been anything to worry about lately. When the battery starts to go dead, it happens in a hurry. I think it even says in the instructions you will be as far from the attic access as possible when it goes dead.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

I doubt I'll ever do more than one inspection a day. I'm not looking to work like that. I don't need to. When I get established real good, I expect my rates will go up. I provide a good service for a fair fee. 3 to 4 hours on site and another 3 to 4 on a custom narative report. It ends up in a solid product and no complaints from clients. In the future I won't be leaving my office for anything under $400. Let's see, $400 divided by 8 hours = $50 an hour. I can live with that.

Back to the subject. I'll keep a 3D Mag and a 6V lantern as backup in the spectormobile.

Last edited by John Dirks Jr; 12-27-2008 at 03:58 PM.