Default Sprinkler System blamed for Grandmother Death

We had an accident here in the Dallas metroplex yesterday where a sprinkler system had been operating overnight and the water run-off froze and caused this accident that took this grandmothers life.

Anyone else hear of this.

Grandmother Dies In Seagoville Rollover - Truveo Video Search

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Sprinkler System blamed for Grandmother Death

Yeah! Very sad indeed! New laws (Texas) take affect January 1 2009 requiring sprinkler systems to have freeze and moisture sensors to keep accidents like this from happening.

A little late for this family. Terrible thing to have to go through.

Wayne

"A 44-year old woman dies when she was THROWN FROM THE TRUCK ..."

The only way she "was thrown from the truck" was if she WAS NOT WEARING her seatbelt.

Now ... the accident may have been caused by the frozen water from the sprinklers, but ... THE DEATH was caused by the victim from not wearing her seat belt.

The daughter is looking for someone to hold responsible ... lady, look in the mirror, then look at your mother: Do YOU wear YOUR seat belt? Did YOUR MOTHER wear her seat belt? *IF NOT* ... the person(s) to be held responsible are you and your mother - don't try to blame someone else for your and your mother's STUPIDITY.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Adopted new §344.62(j) establishes the requirement that technology, in the form of rain or moisture sensors, or various other methods, be installed on all new automatic irrigation systems. The requirement could be met by other technologies that are designed to detect moisture and shut off the landscape irrigation system. The requirement extends to new systems and those with automatic controllers that are replaced during a repair. The use of this technology promotes water conservation. The adopted section exempts El Paso, Hudspeth, Culberson, Jeff Davis, Presidio, Brewster, Terrell, Loving, Winkler, Ward, Reeves, Ector, Crane and Pecos counties from the requirement.

Aaron

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Adopted new §344.62(j) establishes the requirement that technology, in the form of rain or moisture sensors, or various other methods, be installed on all new automatic irrigation systems. The requirement could be met by other technologies that are designed to detect moisture and shut off the landscape irrigation system. The requirement extends to new systems and those with automatic controllers that are replaced during a repair. The use of this technology promotes water conservation. The adopted section exempts El Paso, Hudspeth, Culberson, Jeff Davis, Presidio, Brewster, Terrell, Loving, Winkler, Ward, Reeves, Ector, Crane and Pecos counties from the requirement.

Aaron
    I don't see anything in there about freeze sensors. As far as watering anything else but the lawn such as side walks or roads isn't there already something in affect with sprinkler systems not doing such. I guess that would be a city code enforcement issue.

I guess it did not say it was spraying the road but merely running on to it.

I guess, reluctantly, I will have to side with Jerry that it was an accident and the woman must not have been wearing her seat belt. Of course it could be a defective seatbelt then it would be the possible manufacturer that is at fault or just a worn aged thing.

In all. Pretty sad losing anyone this time of year. I guess we are all dealt a hand of cards and we have to see how they play out.

My condolences to the family.

A.D. Miller Guest

Ted:

This may be the current standard. Navigating the SOS site is like swimming in oatmeal - can't see s%^t.

In North Texas, where the water supply is marginal at best in the summers and the roads are as slick as can be in the winters, there is no excuse for the individual municipalities neglecting to mandate these rain/freeze sensors on ALL homes.

Unfortunately, the body count is not yet high enough for the sorry-ass AHJs to step up to the plate.

There is one of those GDMF branch banks (don't know the name of it) near me on the corner of Shiloh and Campbell that leaves its sprinklers on constantly in all types of weather. Hundreds of gallons of water pour across the intersection of these relatively busy streets causing accidents. I have contacted the bank manager, the management company for the shopping center and the City of Garland to no avail. Unless one of them or their relatives or friends is killed because of the situation, they will not make a move to change it.

Bastards!

Robert Schenck Guest

It's certainly a sad sad story, but I have to agree 100% with Jerrys comment. I'll bet my pay-check that a law suit will soon come from this.

Robert

Ted, my information was told to me by the water authority. I hadn't read the law so I misspoke about the freeze sensors. But I guess if the law says that they can't let it run out on the sidewalk/street then there shouldn't be a worry about freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post

This may be the current standard. Navigating the SOS site is like swimming in oatmeal - can't see s%^t.
    Agreed, I am glad it is not just me.
    Allen has enacted some new laws, of course it is much easier to enforce and plan when most of the city is less than 20 years old.
    Customers are prohibited from directing water on to impervious surfaces. (Wind driven water drift will be taken
    into consideration.)
    • Customers are prohibited from outdoor watering during precipitation or freeze events.
    • Rain and freeze sensors and/or ET or Smart controllers are now required on all new irrigation systems. Rain
    and freeze sensors and/or ET or Smart controllers must be maintained to function properly.
    • The City recommends that all existing irrigation systems be retrofitted with rain and freeze sensors and/or ET or
    Smart controllers capable of multiple programming. Rain and freeze sensors and/or ET or Smart controllers must
    be maintained to function properly. This provision does not imply that anyone who has special irrigation controllers
    are exempt from enforcement of rules concerning over-watering, watering during rain, or watering during freezing
    weather.
    This is part of the water conservation plan, but they tagged on the "freezing" rules.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

http://www.cityofallen.org/departmen...quirements.pdf
    Has anyone got any experience with the pressure compensating tubing mentioned here?
    and landscape islands 200 square feet or less
    in area are designed with drip irrigation and/or pressure compensating tubing
    (no above‐ground spray)
    and this:
    All new irrigation systems for single‐family homes shall have separate zones for a drip system around the foundation.

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 12-24-2008 at 09:31 AM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    http://www.cityofallen.org/departmen...quirements.pdf
    Has anyone got any experience with the pressure compensating tubing mentioned here?

and this:
    Jim:

I feel that this is referring to drip irrigation methods sucha as are now mandated in Frisco in the parkways and around the foundation perimeters.

Aaron

Yeah, I got that part. I have googled a few times trying to get some technical information about the equipment and design and have been less than enthused about what I was able to find.
    I am thinking about what to look for on these systems other than just disclaiming it as underground (assuming it is a pressure compensating tubing that is buried) and I can't see it.
    I have some ideas, but me being me, I wanted more information and documentation for these newer systems.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

Yeah, I got that part. I have googled a few times trying to get some technical information about the equipment and design and have been less than enthused about what I was able to find.
    I am thinking about what to look for on these systems other than just disclaiming it as underground (assuming it is a pressure compensating tubing that is buried) and I can't see it.
    I have some ideas, but me being me, I wanted more information and documentation for these newer systems.
    Don't know the answer but maybe they are referring to soaker hoses. As far as pressure reulated, it is. The more pressure the more that sqeezes out.

A.D. Miller Guest

Jim:

Rain Bird - Drip Irrigation: Product Literature Index

http://www.rainbird.com/pdf/drip/LowVolumeGuide.pdf

http://www.amwua.org/pdfs/drip_irrigation_guide.pdf

DIG CORP. Drip irrigation products, battery powered controllers and the LEIT control system for the commercial landscapes and turf

Toro - Homeowner Blue Stripe™ Drip

Drip irrigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Irrigation Association

Irrigation Products: index

Drip

How to Install a Landscape Sprinkler System or Drip Irrigation Systems

Drip, drip, drip - Landscape Management

Low-Volume Irrigation Comes Into Its Own

New Mexico Irrigation Greenhouse, Landscape, Agriculture & Home Drip Irrigation Solutions

Irrigation Equipment - Drip Irrigation

Jim,

That irrigation tubing is required now here in Rockwall on all new homes and I've seen it in other areas too. It is surrounding the foundation beam wall out about 3-5ft. and usually in about 3 separate lines. You'll see it around the landscape too. Of course when the landscaping ever gets changed out someone will probably drive a shovel right through the lines.

I believe Murphy and Wylie are also requiring it to be used on the parkways to curb the water waste on the street from runoff.

Our home has this material around it and it does a great job of maintaining the moisture.

rick

Thanks for the information Aaron, that is more than I have found until now.

For those of you that inspect sprinkler systems, how are you dealing with this?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Meanwhile, I'll meet your sprinkler system, and raise you one raccoon:

"John Van Nostrand, 62, was killed after a dead raccoon blocked his furnace exhaust, causing a fatal buildup of the odorless and colorless gas, police said.

"It appeared the house had some overgrown limbs over the roof. The raccoon must have made his way down looking for a dry place to stay and crawled into the flue," Deputy Fire Chief Tom Corriveau said.Police, who went to the home after neighbors and relatives had not heard from Van Nostrand, found him dead on the kitchen floor...

Someday perhaps someone will invent a sensor to prevent this type of tragedy, but IMO getting people to install and use them will be difficult...

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com