Thread: What is This?

A.D. Miller Guest

Default What is This?

Your clues are where this is posted and the adjacent condenser unit.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: What is This?

It's a Heat Recovery Unit. Uses waste heat from the A/C to help heat the water in the water heater.

There have been several good posts concerning these units on this board, if you feel like searching for them.

Dom.

A.D. Miller Guest

Dom:

Thanks.

Aaron

Aaron,

I've only seen (2) of those and both happen to be in Plano.

Rick

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Aaron,

I've only seen (2) of those and both happen to be in Plano.

Rick
    This one was in Garland and my first. Of course, they were not in service. Seems they came from JP's neck of the woods.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

There's zillions of 'em over here in Florida.

Many have been disconnected and abandoned in place when some component attached to the system needed service, like the water heater, condenser, whole-house re-pipe, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    There's zillions of 'em over here in Florida.

Many have been disconnected and abandoned in place when some component attached to the system needed service, like the water heater, condenser, whole-house re-pipe, etc.

It is amazing how many HVAC technicians and plumbers have no idea how to connect them up, isn't it?

All is connected and working fine, condenser unit is replaced, heat recovery unit is disconnected ... Why? (Other than the HVAC technician did not know what it was and simply disconnected it instead of finding out what it was ... same for plumber replacing water heater - they scratch their heads then just disconnect it.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

daniel nantell Guest

thanks for the input, I thought it was a giant mushroom.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

It is amazing how many HVAC technicians and plumbers have no idea how to connect them up, isn't it?

All is connected and working fine, condenser unit is replaced, heat recovery unit is disconnected ... Why? (Other than the HVAC technician did not know what it was and simply disconnected it instead of finding out what it was ... same for plumber replacing water heater - they scratch their heads then just disconnect it.)
    JP: I told the buyer to have an HVAC tech describe to him what it was, as I had no idea beyond a hunch that it was some energy conservation device. I suggested they not ask any tech under 50 years of age. They called 5 different A/C companies in the area. None of them had a clue.

I have installed many in houses in Broward. The problem with them is that it send 180 degree water to the water heater any small children in the house and they could get burned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Beckerman View Post
    I have installed many in houses in Broward. The problem with them is that it send 180 degree water to the water heater any small children in the house and they could get burned.
    Not when working properly. (I know, someone will comment about "working properly", and to those I will go ahead and say "yep, working properly, *just like everything else in the house* working properly is key".)

See that thermostat in there in the photo? That is adjustable and controls the temperature of the water circulating in that loop.

Also, installing a thermostatic mixing valve at the outlet of the water heater solves that problem. Now, make the water in the water heater 180 degrees, no problem.

Mark,

Welcome to THE inspectors board.

Now, please go to the User CP and type in your city next to Florida - it helps us all.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com