MaMa Mount Guest

Default LP Gas Entrance?

Good Evening Gentlemen,

Can some please tell me if this LP gas line entrance is to close to this condensing unit? It also looks like the line could be easily damaged. How could be it be better protected?

Whatcha think?

MaMa Mount

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: LP Gas Entrance?

Quote Originally Posted by MaMa Mount View Post
    Good Evening Gentlemen,

(1) Can some please tell me if this LP gas line entrance is to close to this condensing unit?

(2)
    It also looks like the line could be easily damaged.

(3) How could be it be better protected?

Whatcha think?

MaMa Mount

1. Yes

2.Yes

3. Does it Matter? ( After it's moved, encased & supported.)

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

*The gas line* is not too close, that does not matter how close it is.

*The regulator* is too close, that does matter how close it is.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Greenwalt Guest

I don't have my book with me but I believe the clearance to either windows or a sparking device (compressor is considered one) is four feet. Check the NFPA 11 if I remember right.

The clearance is to the 2nd stage regulator you see in the photo.

Not all Propane companies will enforce it but if they do, you don't want to replace it. I had to have mine moved when the company came out and red tagged system because it failed to meet the clearances.

Last edited by Michael Greenwalt; 12-31-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: incomplete

Ron Bibler Guest

So Jerry then a regulator GAS or LP. would be to close to this condensing unit. Is it just a condensing units its to close to or other types of Ele units ?

As posted the other day on a Gas service and an Electrical panel...

Best

Ron

Ron,

The regulator must be 5 feet (as I recall) from sources of ignition.

A source of ignition is anything which has an open flame or can create a spark.

Many areas use "automatic" sources of ignition, meaning that if the ignition source is "manually operated" it can be within the clearance requirement, based on the fact that "a person" will have to activate the source of ignition, and, if that person smells gas, they will not active that source of ignition (that is the presumption, anyway).

Breakers are also "sources of ignition", and are "automatic" sources.

Contactors in a/c condenser units (not the compressor it self, but the switching devices in the condenser units) are also sources of ignition, and are automatic too.

I recall the clearance being 5 feet, it may be 3 feet or 10 feet, but *I think it is* 5 feet.

In fact, I think it might be 3 feet for manual sources of ignition and 10 feet for automatic sources of ignition, although it is not spelled out as 'manual' or 'automatic', but the wording and drawings depict it as such.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Greenwalt Guest

Sorry, it is in NFPA pamphlet 54 (bold is mine)

Regulator Vent Discharge
    Regulators are required to have pressure relief devices to safely discharge excess gas pressure outside of the home or building in the event of a regulator malfunction. The point of discharge from the required pressure relief device on regulating equipment installed outside of buildings in fixed piping systems shall be located not less than 3 ft horizontally away from any building opening below the level of such discharge, and not beneath any building unless this space is well ventilated to the outside and is not enclosed for more than 50 percent of its perimeter. The point of discharge shall also be located not less than 5 ft in any direction away from any source of ignition, openings into direct-vent (sealed combustion system) appliances, or mechanical ventilation air intakes. Where a vent line is used to comply with the point of discharge requirements, it shall comply with the current editions of the building and fire codes.

There are other distances regarding tanks, fill points, etc. But this applies to the 2nd stage regulator with the pressure relief device you have in your photo.

Hope this helps.