Default water in extractor crock

3 year old home with basement bathroom only roughed-in. The crock/pit/sump or whatever that the extractor pump would go into had a lot of water in it. Didn't smell. Looked just like the water in the sump pump.
    Anyone ever run into this?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: water in extractor crock

Did you find the termination point?
    did it just dump out side or end up in the drain?

I exclude pumps like that.

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 01-02-2009 at 01:33 PM.

Maybe I should clarify.
    No pump present, only the crock/pit/sump with a cover bolted down over it. The bath is only roughed in.
    There are holes in the cover for vent and discharge pipes, if and when they get installed, and through these holes I can see at least a foot of water in this thing.
    It should not have ground water getting in, obviously, if that's what it is.
    I've just never run into this before and wondered if anyone else had and if they knew what the problem turned out to be.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I've seen the same thing John but in a new construction house. I likewise told my client there shouldn't be anything in the pit as there were no plumbing fixtures installed to drain into the pit and if it was groundwater making it into the pit, it was problem. I don't know what the outcome was.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    3 year old home with basement bathroom only roughed-in. The crock/pit/sump or whatever that the extractor pump would go into had a lot of water in it. Didn't smell. Looked just like the water in the sump pump.
    Anyone ever run into this?
    I can think of a couple of possible reasons.

Water in the tank to keep it from floating out should ground water fill the hole it is sitting in.

Someone ran water in as a part of a test. However, you did say nothing was currently connected.

I would just note the incomplete installation, the water and say "I dunno".

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I've run into the same. I tell the client, it could be ground water getting in from a bad install or leftover water from when the plumber installed and tested.
    I recommend sucking the water out and seeing if it fills again in a few days. (or prior to close)

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    ...Water in the tank to keep it from floating out should ground water fill the hole it is sitting in...
    Interesting idea, except the house is three years old. The water would have evaporated.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

In new construction, I try the sniff test to see if the builders had used it as a toilet.

Sounds like an unfinished ejector pump pit! Most likely the bottom of the pit is open to the ground If so it is basically just a sump pit and it needs a pump in it. It is just collecting ground water. did you try to see if the bottom was solid or soft like mud.

I would also bet that if you are in an area with radon, that you will have high radon levels. I have found this time after time with unfinished ejector pits.

It's just the pits!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Sounds like an unfinished ejector pump pit! Most likely the bottom of the pit is open to the ground If so it is basically just a sump pit and it needs a pump in it. It is just collecting ground water. did you try to see if the bottom was solid or soft like mud.

I would also bet that if you are in an area with radon, that you will have high radon levels. I have found this time after time with unfinished ejector pits.

It's just the pits!
    Thanks Scott. I did not try to probe the bottom. The lid was bolted on and I didn't remove it.
    I guess I assumed that if the top part was there, i.e., the part the lid was bolted to, then the whole thing must be there.