Jay Jackson Guest

Default Marketing to sellers

I've searched here until I'm tired of searching, so, I'm asking...Anyone have anything other than a business card they leave behind after an inspection asking the seller to consider you for their upcoming purchase? Postcard? Brochure? Anyone willing so share some of your wording? Has it worked for you?
    Thanks,
    Jay

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Marketing to sellers

Jay,

The only problem with that is by the time we get into the home to do an inspection for the buyer of the home, the seller has already made arrangements to purchase another home and has already done their inspections.

Not saying its impossible to maybe pick up a little business but I don't get much from doing so.

Heck, by the time the seller gets hit with the repair request from my clients, I'm the last guy they want to do business with. They usually take it a bit to personal.

JMHO

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

If your in this for the long run and you plan to stay in your area and you have the funds to market. then you can have a binder printed up with info about your company and the home you just inspectedyour report. these can run you $ 15 to $ 30 a pop and may take a few years be for you ever see any return on your investment. I have never employed this type of marketing but I see others do it and it works for them. they keep doing it any ways.

Other ways are to print of an inspection tag with your company info and place the in the water heater areas walls.

You need to be in it for the long hall.

Best

Ron

Whats a long hall got to do with it Ron.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Thumbs up Re: Marketing to sellers

Send them a personalized "Thank You" Card with a picture of their home, rose bush, cat or dog.... something personal to make them feel good or a reminder of the home they are leaving. You think they would throw away a card with a picture of their dog or cat on it?

Thank them for allowing you into their home to do the inspection for the buyer and let them know you are available if they are moving to a new home in the local area.... or knows anyone who is moving.

This is all easier than you may think. It will cost $1.35 with card, envelope, stamp and someone to stuff and send the card for you.
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home-i...tor/referrals/

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Ron Bibler Guest

Thats a good idea Brian... I like that.

Best

Ron

Brian,

I did that once.

Took a real nice picture of the house and sent it to the seller as you mentioned only to have her call me and tell me she was getting a divorce and how she hated to have to leave the house and how upset her children were to have to leave it.

Gosh, I listen to the crying for about 20 minutes.

Careful on how you send those out.

rick

She might have been upset but she knew your phone number

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan

JORY LANNES Guest

I used to leave a $15.00 "how to operate your home" from "Mr. Fixit" I track my sales leads. After using a case of the books with no success I stopped the practice. I do 11 month warranty followups for new homes.

Brian,

You always got to be the positive one don't you? LOL

If I had known she was going to call me, trust me I would have forwarded my phone to you buddy.

rick

Jay,

Another thought is I'd would prefer to advertise or leave promotional items with my client the homebuyer who already knows the kind of job I've done for them.

Leave them something that has your company name on it so they see it on a regular basis and when the conversation comes up somewhere like work they'll come more remembering and referring you.

Things I've given out is personalized mousepads, koosies, soaker hoses, tape measures, penlights, and calendars just to name a few.

Pens are great too.

rick

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jackson View Post
    I've searched here until I'm tired of searching, so, I'm asking...Anyone have anything other than a business card they leave behind after an inspection asking the seller to consider you for their upcoming purchase? Postcard? Brochure? Anyone willing so share some of your wording? Has it worked for you?
    Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay:

If your report is thorough and long enough to properly educate your buyer client it will also be just what it exactly takes to create a lot of red ink to use against the seller. That red ink, in the form of your report, will make you more memorable than any trinkets you can ever send.

Aaron

Great idea Brian, I would never have thought of it. I like it but would not do it. If I received it I would consider it intrusive and arrogant. Having said that I think it might actually work for some though.
    I've tried marketing to Seller's without much success. Leave cards, 1 page info flyer about company, suck up to listing agent, drop a card and note in the mail a few days later. Calling the listing agent and chatting has worked a bit.
    From my experience, often times the Seller already has someone lined up or has had any insp already on their purchase.
    I can't agree that a good report for your buyer gets you in with the Seller for their insp. I think the Seller more often than not is too pissed to use you. Let's face it buyers use our reports to get money off the deal.
    Regardless of how much advertising I do in whatever media, the most biz always comes from referrals.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Regardless of how much advertising I do in whatever media, the most biz always comes from referrals.
    That is very common and talked about in a thread a little while ago.

In that thread my point was that everyone loves referrals from past clients but what, if anything, do most inspectors do to actively connect with past clients on a consistent basis so that you remain on the tip of their tongue when someone asks them about buying/selling/inspections.

What works best for you?

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan

I'm not the type of person who calls past customers a week/month later to chit chat etc. in order to stay in their mind (to get referrals).
    I'm much better at communicating to customers that it's OK to call me and ask questions about whatever in the new home. During the insp., when I deliver the report and in usually several subsequent conversations. I repeatedly let them know ...'yes it's ok you called, no problem asking me questions, it's ok some of the questions aren't directly related to the report, blah, blah.
    People always have a ton of questions when they move into a new home. It's helpful to them to know they can call a 'professional' and ask questions. No judgement, no laughing, etc (like when calling a buddy).
    At least for me, I think that keeps me in their mind, in a better way, than me calling them. I guess it makes a connection beyond just ... he came and inspected, I wrote him a check and he left.
    I've had customers call me about how to deal with a new appliance, putting box furniture together, types of anchors to use to hang pics, etc.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I'm not the type of person who calls past customers a week/month later to chit chat etc. in order to stay in their mind (to get referrals).
    I'm much better at communicating to customers that it's OK to call me and ask questions about whatever in the new home. During the insp., when I deliver the report and in usually several subsequent conversations. I repeatedly let them know ...'yes it's ok you called, no problem asking me questions, it's ok some of the questions aren't directly related to the report, blah, blah.
    People always have a ton of questions when they move into a new home. It's helpful to them to know they can call a 'professional' and ask questions. No judgement, no laughing, etc (like when calling a buddy).
    At least for me, I think that keeps me in their mind, in a better way, than me calling them. I guess it makes a connection beyond just ... he came and inspected, I wrote him a check and he left.
    I've had customers call me about how to deal with a new appliance, putting box furniture together, types of anchors to use to hang pics, etc.
    Markus: Agreed.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

It seems the best way may to get the ear of the RE agents and push the benefits of having a pre-listing inspection done so issues can be brought to light and dealt with before they have a buyer in hand. Get the possible deal breaker issues resolved and maybe their house sells faster. I'm not one to visit RE offices, chat up agents, or send them e-mails/mailers but if I did, this is what I would do. Once sellers see the job you did in their home, it's more likely you'll hear from them when they are buying (as long as they like you and your work).

As for staying in contact with past clients, there are many automated mailing services where you choose what type of information you would like your clients to receive. You provide the service with the names and addresses of your past clients and they send the mailers to your clients with your business information on them. I'm not sure of prices but I believe you can choose the frequency of the mailings to help cut costs (ie - one mailer per quarter as opposed to every month). I'm considering this approach for this year.

The cheapest route is just sending your past clients e-mails thanking them for their past business and letting them know they can always call or e-mail you with questions. During slow times like these, who doesn't have time to kill sending out some e-mails.

Jay Jackson Guest

Thanks for the responses and ideas.
    Everybody hang in there.
    This too shall pass.