Thread: Twilight Zone

Default Twilight Zone

I had the broker run this one for me. Good name Huh?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

David Banks Guest

Default Re: Twilight Zone

Nice name. Romex wire to garbage disposal should be secured and in conduit (FMC) for protection against physical damage.

Bob Stark Guest

Ahh, Mr. Banks.... always the inspector! Good call ! Great name, you're right.

Cool Re: Twilight Zone

NM conductor (Romex) is non-code complying as an appliance connector.
    I too like the name on that GD and think it would be excellent tool for disposing of really obnoxious agents?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Bob Mayer Guest

What Jerry said. Putting Romex® in flexible conduit protects it from "physical damage" but not from motion/vibration. Code-required flexible cord has stranded conductors - that will not break after being bent back and forth multiple times.

- BOB

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mayer View Post
    What Jerry said. Putting Romex® in flexible conduit protects it from "physical damage" but not from motion/vibration. Code-required flexible cord ...
    That's not what West Coast Jerry said, also, would you provide the code, I'm all for learning more.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bob Mayer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That's not what West Coast Jerry said, also, would you provide the code, I'm all for learning more.
    I was agreeing with Jerry that Romex® is not approved. I did not mean to imply that Jerry said the rest of what I wrote.

The code does not explicitly require flexible cord. I should have said that the code effectively prohibits using NM cable by 314.15 (A) To Follow Surface. NM cable in flexible conduit would seem to be prohibited by 314.15 (B) Protection From Physical Damage. (Where only non-flexible conduit is allowed for protecting NM from physical damage.)

Flexible cord (with a plug connection) is allowed (but not required) by 422.16 (B) (1) Electrically Operated Kitchen Waste Disposers.

I should not have said "code-required". Flexible conduit with individual conductors can be used. The overwhelming majority of code-compliant installations I have seen use flexible cord and plug.

- BOB