Jerome W. Young Guest

Default Traps and Sump pumps

House had two central a/c units- handlers side by side- both condensate lines were 3/4 pvc and connected with a T ...then run directly without trap to a sump pump below. Sump discharge line was one of the old high pressure copper lines

Can you use one pump to handle two units?

do you need a trap with a sump pump?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Traps and Sump pumps

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    House had two central a/c units- handlers side by side- both condensate lines were 3/4 pvc and connected with a T ...then run directly without trap to a sump pump below. Sump discharge line was one of the old high pressure copper lines

Do you mean that these were directly piped to the pump?

Aaron

A.D. Miller Guest

And I assume you mean the primary condensate drain lines?

House had two central a/c units- handlers side by side- both condensate lines were 3/4 pvc and connected with a T ...
    The pipe size should have been a larger size from the T connection on.

From the 2004 Florida Building Code (underlining is mine)
    - M1411.3.2 Drain pipe materials and sizes.
    - - Components of the condensate disposal system shall be cast iron, galvanized steel, copper, polybutylene, polyethylene, ABS, CPVC or PVC pipe or tubing. All components shall be selected for the pressure and temperature rating of the installation. Condensate waste and drain line size shall be not less than ¾-inch (91 mm) internal diameter and shall not decrease in size from the drain pan connection to the place of condensate disposal. Where the drain pipes from more than one unit are manifolded together for condensate drainage, the pipe or tubing shall be sized in accordance with an approved method. All horizontal sections of drain piping shall be installed in uniform alignment at a uniform slope.

then run directly without trap to a sump pump below.

Yes, the condensate lines need to be trapped at each unit in accordance with the manufacturers installation instructions (which will show a trap in the primary condensate line at each unit and a trap in the secondary condensate line at each unit)

Sump discharge line was one of the old high pressure copper lines
    Noting prohibits running two or more condensate lines to a single condensate pump ... other than the capabilities and capacities of the pump and the listing, labeling and installation instructions for the pump.

Most condensate pumps are of the smaller versions, larger versions are made. If the tank for the condensate pump is too small, the motor would run more often than intended, also, larger units have larger motors capable of running more frequently.

Some condensate pumps are rated "continuous duty" and others are not.

The only true answer would be to call the manufacturer and give them the model number of the condensate pump and get a yes or no from them.

If it seems to be working, and it has been installed for a while, then it likely has the capacity to handle both, whether it is rated for it or not is a different issue.

The main thing I see with condensate pumps is they are typically placed in the return air under the unit, just exactly where you really want to place a petri dish with fungal growth in it!

Also, most come with a power cord with a molded on plug, which is promptly cut off ... and further use of that now damaged/altered cord is not allowed. Of course, though, the installers do not care, so they permanently wire it into the AHU.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 01-08-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: deleted a random floating air borne "you" which landed in the post :-)
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

JP: I believe his post said "sump" and not "condensate" pump.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JP: I believe his post said "sump" and not "condensate" pump.

Aaron,

He did say "sump", but I think he meant "condensate" pump.

No difference in how it would be addressed, though, both would need to have the proper capabilities, capacities, and ratings.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Aaron,

He did say "sump", but I think he meant "condensate" pump.

No difference in how it would be addressed, though, both would need to have the proper capabilities, capacities, and ratings.
    JP: He probably did mean "condensate". I think though there would be a difference between the two regarding air gap requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    I think though there would be a difference between the two regarding air gap requirements.
    That would not be based on "the pump" as much as on "the use" of the pump - in this case, both would be used for the same purpose.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerome W. Young Guest

yup meant pump
    thanks!