John Stephenson Guest

Default Cost of a chimney metal cap

Just got a bid to replace my metal chimney cap, chimney is 30 inches wide. The bid was $1200 - - That seems waaaaaay to high.

What do you guys think?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Cost of a chimney metal cap

tell them to remove a zero and your good to go.

Take a picture of what you have. This will help us to help you!!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Hi John,
    Based on the sizes you stated, I think you are replacing the chase cover. Perhaps you need the chimney cap too, but as Scott said, send some pictures. Include pix or description of your fireplace.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Talking Re: Cost of a chimney metal cap

Need more info.

How high is this? Does it require a 40 ft ladder or cherry picker? Slate roof? What material--stainless steel/ copper? Is this a stock cap or some custom made to order one?

A typical Gelco letter C cap, which covers 17x29 costs the contractor about what Wayne is quoting not including freight, handling, much less who's gonna get up there and install it in the wind. Maybe if you brought your chimney to the contractor he would discount it. Still, he's risking his butt hanging in the breeze. Has to cover his insurance, too.

As a reference, a typical 8x13 stainless steel chimney cap in the Philly area is going for about $145.00 installed. What a minute----I feel a price increase coming on!

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Bob, is that your cold and windy roof price increase or your "Now I have to carry this sharp, rusty piece of crap off the roof in 101*F ambient temperature" price increase?

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

John Stephenson Guest

Here is the picture of metal cap & fireplace

Standard one story spec home. Can reach roof with a 12 foot ladder.

Additional questions:

- Is not the storm collar too high, should be located where the red arrow is ?

- For the bottom collar, should there not be a 1 inch gap between the bottom of the collar and the metal cap. see blue arrow.

For $1200, I'll purchase the cap & install myself....I got a call into a few more guys who'll give me a bid mid next week.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by John Stephenson; 05-18-2007 at 06:30 AM. Reason: add pics

Cool Re: Cost of a chimney metal cap

This is a Martin SC round top, of which I've installed hundreds. The ring the red arrow is just below is an integral part of the cap and not a storm collar. It is there to separate the fresh cooling air from the exhaust above.

The storm collar is what the blue arrow is pointing at. It appears ok from here. The chase top is flat--not pitched for drainage. It should overhand the siding. That wood band or corbel is ideal for trapping water. The chase top should be painted to minimize rusting. Each side of the chase top should be nailed at the corners and about every 16" along the edge. A 2" turndown is considered minimum.

I'll see if I can dig up an old manual on this for some other things. Hard to tell but it appears the plinth blocks of the mantel may be occluding part of the lower grilles, which would be a fire hazard. Also, I would flag that hearth extension as a possible problem. While it appears to be a cast gypsum mantel from Foreshaw, I don't see any insulating board under it. I would slide a knife down btw fireplace and HX to see if I felt a metal spark strip. I doubt this mantel is caulked 360 degrees around the Fp. Looks like a Martin SC 36/42 box. Always try to locate the rating plate and note the mfr., model, and serial number.

That aftermarket coal basket grate needs to come out. Mfrs grates only.

Bob H: I'll see if I can dig up an old manual on this for some other things. Hard to tell but it appears the plinth blocks of the mantel may be occluding part of the lower grilles, which would be a fire hazard. Also, I would flag that hearth extension as a possible problem. While it appears to be a cast gypsum mantel from Foreshaw, I don't see any insulating board under it. I would slide a knife down btw fireplace and HX to see if I felt a metal spark strip. I doubt this mantel is caulked 360 degrees around the Fp. Looks like a Martin SC 36/42 box. Always try to locate the rating plate and note the mfr., model, and serial number.

That aftermarket coal basket grate needs to come out. Mfrs grates only.
    .................................................. .................................................. .
    Dang, Bob!
    There are times you make me feel like I just started yesterday. I don't like that, but I sure am glad you're here.

- Paul Fix

Cool Re: Cost of a chimney metal cap

Hey, that's what we're here for. If you really want to learn more, click on the FIRE Service banner and talk to Dale Feb. He's the leading authority on fireplaces and chimneys in North America and specializes in teaching home inspectors. His home inspector's course is really just a teaser to show you just how much you don't know and how liable you are. His 6 day course teaches you not only how to inspect but writing reports that keep you out of rooms with people wearing suites and ties. I guarantee you'll change the way you do business after his course. There are several FIRE Service Certified Fireplace Inspectors such as myself on this site. Kevin Stewart hosts Dale's East Coast courses at his facilities in Richmond, Va. and is a great resource. Randy Brooks is out on the Left Coast with Dale and I believe is now the President of the Nat'l Chimney Sweep Guild. Several home inspectors here are certified so chat with them.

BTW, us chimney guys learn from all you home inspectors, too. I'm just keeping quiet about what all I've learned from ya'll !!

Have a great weekend,
    Bob