Alan Miles Guest

Question Painted Shingle Roof ???

I've just got back to the office after inspecting a mobile home. The shingle roof had been painted with a brown chemical. There were several gaps in the paint especially around the edges of the shingles. In one area there are several missing shingles and the area had also been painted brown. I did a quick search on the web for a roof sealant that could be applied over shingles. I found none. I am aware of an Elastomeric sealant that is used on flat roofs and metal mobile homes etc, but I have never heard of any thing that could be applied over shingles. I've attached a pic of the missing shingle area. Have any of you heard of a sealant or paint which can be applied over shingles, even areas of missing shingles? Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Painted Shingle Roof ???

The only reason to paint a shingle roof is when the shingle roof needs to be replaced and you are trying to "extended its life" some.

While one may "extend the period of time the roof does not leak" (one could cover the roof with a blue tarp and accomplish the same goal), the shingles are "still in need of replacement".

No painting can change that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Several years ago here in Dallas their was some men from somewhere I forget that was taking advantage of the elderly by claiming they were replacing the roof when they were only painting it.

They would send these elders out to a movie and a nice dinner while they were working (supposedly due to the noise). Old folks come home and see what they thought was a new roof.

Major rip-off artist these guys.

rick

Jim Zborowski Guest

A few months back there was an ad for one of the box stores for a " new !!! - roof paint ". Honestly, didn't read it, was too busy laughing. These are the same people who sell corrugated flex traps and other diy products that shouldn't even be sold. Maybe you could check there.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 01-09-2009 at 10:34 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Great deals too! Only $0.52 per square foot for white - colors extra! That's only a little over $1100 for the average roof. Cheaper than tarps an lots more fun! Drop on down and paint the car while you're at it! Paint the driveway to match!

You can even get a 4-oz. sample for only $9.95!

From their website: "Before your shingle roof starts to deteriorate and your shingles start cracking , peeling & wearing off "

Notice the "Before"? Who would do it "before" the roof "starts to deteriorate" and they absolutely need to do something?

That said, *I* am not saying that it is okay to do it "before" either, just pointing out that applying it like it would typically be applied is not applying in according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Also, they state "Roof-IT forms into a Rock hard finish.", ummm, don't they know that it should be flexible so it will not break and crack?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    From their website: "Before your shingle roof starts to deteriorate and your shingles start cracking , peeling & wearing off "

Notice the "Before"? Who would do it "before" the roof "starts to deteriorate" and they absolutely need to do something?

That said, *I* am not saying that it is okay to do it "before" either, just pointing out that applying it like it would typically be applied is not applying in according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Also, they state "Roof-IT forms into a Rock hard finish.", ummm, don't they know that it should be flexible so it will not break and crack?
    JP: The "rejuvenator" aspect intrigues me. Might get some for all three knees.

Richard Thacker Guest

I once did a lot of sub work in the past. McDonalds used to have a spec that there asphalt shingle were to be painted McRed. Don't remember the name of the product, but it was 1/2 bull snot. It was specifically designed for asphalt roof shingles (a very heavy elastomeric product). I often wondered why the architecht didn't just order red shingles?

Alan Miles Guest

Thank You ! I agree Its a cover up to make the whole thing to appear to be better than it is. Sad that this happens. I appreciate you all.

Frank Suchodolski Guest

It doesn't look like someone trying to cover up bad shingles, as the shingles appear to be in good condition (besides the torn shingles), The only real concern is will the paint used damage the shingles.
    The shingles are also installed incorrectly, they are staggered back and forth instead of on a 45 degree angle across the roof according to manufacturers instructions (printed on every package).

Frank Suchodolski, ATC Consulting
    Roof Inspection and Consulting

Jim Zborowski Guest

A couple of summers ago I went by a house in town, there was a guy of maybe 75 up on the roof with a 5 gallon bucket and a mop. He painted his entire roof silver.........and I do mean silver, complete with streaks from mopping it on. Ya just gotta womder what some people are thinking.

Ted Menelly Guest

When I was a kid, when ever that was, I painted a neighbors wood shingle roof with tar based aluminum paint. It used to be the thing to do back then.

I guess he probably never got the tar based aluminum paint off his bushes when I slid down and off the roof with bucket in hand until it wore off.