Darrel Hood Guest

Default CMC - Home Energy Tune Up

I am considering paying for the training for CMC Energy Services - Home Energy Tune Up to develop a new service for my business. Has any one had any experience with the company? the product? this type of product?

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES
    (936)827-7664

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: CMC - Home Energy Tune Up

I took the course with a bunch of other local NAHI members. Learned a lot, but never incorporated the service into my inspections.
    They (CMC) suggested adding the energy evaluation to the home inspection, but my inspections take long enough as it is, and many of the deals go south, so why would a client want to add expense when they may not even be going through with the purchase, is my thinking.
    But... I learned a lot and I'm glad I took the course.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Darrel Hood Guest

I agree that it may not be an easily marketable add on service. I envision offering it as a service to owners of existing homes who are trying to identify ways to lower utility costs. That would enable entry to a market that is on a different business cycle than real estate. Since you have had more exposure than me, my question is, "Will it provide true value to the client?"

Darrel Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    ... "Will it provide true value to the client?"...
    I believe so. The idea is to give the homeowner a cost/benefit analysis to help make intelligent decisions. But it's not a full blown energy audit with the blower door and all.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Darrel Hood Guest

John,
    Thanks for the replies. I understand the limitations, and ethically I would have to make my best effort to assure that the marketing set the client expectations properly. However, it looks like a good business decision since I believe that energy costs will return to high levels prior to the summer. That way there will still be cash flow whether the real estate market recovers or not, and without major capital investment to start up a business with no synergy to home inspection. Then, when the real estate market regains health, I will have two successful businesses.

Thanks again,

Darrel Hood

Randy King Guest

I have never personally taken the class but have also considered it and I know others who have attended the class and enjoyed the materials and education they took away with it.

Bob Spermo Guest

I took the class for continuing ed. The information wasn't bad but it was pretty simplistic. I used it on a neighbor's house and neither of us found my report very enlightening! I learned a whole lot more when I got my RESNET Energy Rater training.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    "Will it provide true value to the client?"
    Darrel Hood
    I have the CMC cert, it is on my website, I get calls from time to time. I've done a couple, but the report is not at all something I am comfortable charging a client for.

The CMC application is something I would label as "energy light". Not a lot of value in my estimation. Doing a CMC audit on homes younger than 7-10 years is close to a waste of your time and the client's money. UNLESS the builder really screwed up.

I'll be taking it off my website before long. My tracking data does not show any hits on my site from related searches to make it of value.

There are many other items coming down the pike that will require more education for us as HIs to get certain inspections done. CMC will not satisfy any of them.

Keep you eyes/ears open there is more to come about this. City of Austin, TX has taken the lead in some of the new building requirements and related inspections that will be required. I've heard it becomes effective yet this year. Dallas and San Antonio may be subscribing to same in about 2010. Has to do with more green (I know overused word) building, energy efficiency and related building science.

It is becoming more a real need to have your ICC certifications as without them you won't be able to complete the task. I'm not referring to doing AHJ work either.

Darrel Hood Guest

Nolan,
    Thanks for the feedback. Would you care to give more info about the potential opportunities? From the little you mentioned, it appears that they deal with new construction and will not be occurring until next year and initially only in some areas. That is all good news, however, I am looking for a revenue stream to develop in the short term that serves a different market cycle. I am working on the ICC certs and will evaluate every real business opportunity that presents itself.

Regarding the CMC cert. I agree that it is "energy light" and could only be ethically marketed and priced as such. Do you perceive a potentially profitable and value added product in full blown energy auditing, ie. with blower doors and IR cameras? I have wondered if the CMC product is a low investment step to test the market.

Believe me, I am not committed to this course of action; I am attempting to evaluate it.

Thanks again,

Darrel Hood