imported_John Smith Guest

Default Texas - TRCC Inspections

Since the new law went into effect last year, has anyone been doing any TRCC inspections? I have yet to receive a call, or met any other HIs who have. Seems odd with all of the rebuilding in the coastal areas that we havent received any work yet.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Texas - TRCC Inspections

Not me, but most of the areas around here are in municipalities.
    I have also chosen not to sign up with the TRCC. It just seems like a compromise of principles to work for builders, court their favor and then represent buyers. The thought just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Nolan Kienitz Guest

I am signed up with TRCC, but was given a head's up to do so as there are some Texas state agencies shuffling some things about and it may be beneficial downstream.

That being said. I'm currently working on a phase inspection project for a client (buyer) and happened to be asked by their builder if I would also do the TRCC inspections for them.

I determined that I would not have any TREC legal problems, etc., but as Jim noted ... I'm not comfortable working both sides of the table.

This one particular builder may be in for a bit of a shock as they had been telling the buyer that they were covered by the local city/county seat. In fact they are not. They have not had the foundation inspected (even though builder said he did). Project is not even registered with TRCC and they are now approaching close-up with sheetrock and insulation.

Project I'm working on has a value of about 1/2M. This is the least expensive property/neighborhood this builder does. He currently has near 10-12 properties underway and from what I've been able to learn ... none are registered.

It will be interesting to see what will happen. My client has been talking with TRCC (for whatever that's worth) so there will likely be some visibility for this builder anyway ... that he may "not" want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    It just seems like a compromise of principles to work for builders, court their favor and then represent buyers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    I determined that I would not have any TREC legal problems, etc., but as Jim noted ... I'm not comfortable working both sides of the table.
    As long as you do not "compromise" anything and do not "court their favor", there is nothing wrong with inspecting for the builder, and no regrets when the buyer goes over your report.

I did quality control inspections for a couple of builders, no holds barred and the builder got the same exact thing the buyer would, actually, the builder got more bad information as he *made sure* that I had access, and if his subs did not like it, he got new subs. The end result was me having the access to inspect the house as *I* wanted to at each stage *I* wanted to, and I had a client who left no stone unturned in correcting everything I pointed out and wrote up.

If a sub had a conflict with it, it was the subs responsibility to "prove their case" by providing code, manufacturer's installation instructions, and even to get the manufacturer's representative out to the site for a meeting with all of us. Occasionally, I would be incorrect, occasionally the builder would agree to let it go THIS ONE TIME, *but next time* he expected it to be done as I pointed out, but USUALLY the builder would make the sub redo whatever needed to be redone.

The builder figured he was paying top dollar for the subs (he was) and that is they did not want to work for him and WITH him, the builder would be happy to see the sub out the door and replace with a sub who would work WITH him.

Yes, most builders do not build that way, but when you are building in the $10+ mil market, you CAN, and the good ones DO. Your clients EXPECT it to be done right, no ifs, not ands, no buts.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

TRCC is a different animal, created by and for the builders, severely limiting the buyers rights to get a quality house. Their standards are pretty much a joke. One inspector can fail a house and the builder can just get another inspector, no real accountability, in my opinion.
    There are good builders out there, but the entire system in Texas is not good for the consumer, again in my opinion. I just have chosen not to play.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Darrel Hood Guest

I have done a small number of these inspections for remodelling projects and for Ike repairs. Also, I include TRCC compliance reporting for my new construction phase inspection clients. Normally, they are not profitable because some inspectors are doing them for only $100 each.

Nolan, the registration with TRCC occurs after completion of the project.

Jim, you are right, the builder can hire as many inspectors as they want to to get the answer they want to get. The County Inspection Program is too far from perfect to be called "far from perfect". However, before last year, there was no inspection requirement at all. So maybe it's a step in the right direction?

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Bob Spermo Guest

I have done numerous TRCC new construction/remodeling inspections under the new County Inspection Program. The good news is that the builders/remodelers I inspect for are actually interested in putting out a good product. I give them a fee for the 3 required inspections and a smaller fee if I have to come back and verify the correction. I have even done phase inspections (although not required by the new law) for builders doing new construction in municipalities. One builder's warranty insurance demands a third party inspector rather than the AHJ inspection report. I prefer doing these inspections over resale inspections.

I have done 2 TRCC Dispute Resolution Inspections in the last 4 months. One of them had 117 complaints against the builder. These are fun to do especially with the owner and builder are on site with you! These pay pretty well except it takes awhile to get your money because it probably will go through an appeal and then arbitration.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    I have done a small number of these inspections for remodelling projects and for Ike repairs. Also, I include TRCC compliance reporting for my new construction phase inspection clients. Normally, they are not profitable because some inspectors are doing them for only $100 each.

Nolan, the registration with TRCC occurs after completion of the project.

Jim, you are right, the builder can hire as many inspectors as they want to to get the answer they want to get. The County Inspection Program is too far from perfect to be called "far from perfect". However, before last year, there was no inspection requirement at all. So maybe it's a step in the right direction?

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES
    Each inspection is a pass fail. What do you mean that the project is registered after the completion of the project. Please explain your meaning of registration. From my understanding you go online and put your pass or fail in for each inspection as you go so I would think the project is registered. Again I may be using the wrong meaning of registration.

Bob Spermo Guest

Ted,

Builders are supposed to register every house they build in Texas. As far as the TRCC county inspection program the 3 inspections Slab, Framing/Mechanical, and final are entered by the inspector at the time it passes. When I do a TRCC inspection I enter the house and builder info into the TRCC inspection data base. If it is a remodel with no foundation I am the first and probably only person that enters pass/fail into the data base. It the house/remodel has a new foundation the engineer that inspected it should start the TRCC inspection data base for that project. Builders cannot register their house/project into the TRCC county inspection data base. They only register their project into the main TRCC builder data base.

A.D. Miller Guest

That being said. I'm currently working on a phase inspection project for a client (buyer) and happened to be asked by their builder if I would also do the TRCC inspections for them.
    Nolan: This is a conflict of interests which the TRCC forbids.

... I'm not comfortable working both sides of the table.
    Nolan: I personally would never work for a builder. Even if I chose to, it would be the first and last time once they received my report. Builders are not interested in quality control, only in client control.

Project is not even registered with TRCC and they are now approaching close-up with sheetrock and insulation.
    Nolan: This is more common that you can believe.

He currently has near 10-12 properties underway and from what I've been able to learn ... none are registered.
    Realize that, as a TRCC licensee, you are required to report this lack of project registration immediately.

A.D. Miller Guest

The good news is that the builders/remodelers I inspect for are actually interested in putting out a good product.
    Bob: It must be something in the San Antonion water (tequila?) because I have yet to find such a builder.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Realize that, as a TRCC licensee, you are required to report this lack of project registration immediately.
    Aaron,

Absolutely correct. TRCC received an earful from me (diplomatically as possible) when I talked with them a week or so ago. My client (buyer) has also had several follow-up calls with them as well.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    Aaron,

Absolutely correct. TRCC received an earful from me (diplomatically as possible) when I talked with them a week or so ago. My client (buyer) has also had several follow-up calls with them as well.
    Nolan: Proceed with extreme caution with these guys. They are vindictive buraucrats in turmoil (i.e. under great pressure due to the Sunset Commission ruling) that make the TREC crew look like haloed and winged volunteers in a soup kitchen.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Nolan: Proceed with extreme caution with these guys. They are vindictive buraucrats in turmoil (i.e. under great pressure due to the Sunset Commission ruling) that make the TREC crew look like haloed and winged volunteers in a soup kitchen.
    Pardon my not running spell check on my wildly-errant fingers . . .

Bob Spermo Guest

A.D.

I only inspect for 3 builders - all high end that do not want to be called back by the owner. They much prefer to call back the sub before turning it over to the owner. We recently had a electrician come back 3 times before I would sign the builder's warranty final. The builder had no problem with my report but I don't think that electrician will be involved in the next project.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spermo View Post
    A.D.

I only inspect for 3 builders - all high end that do not want to be called back by the owner. They much prefer to call back the sub before turning it over to the owner. We recently had a electrician come back 3 times before I would sign the builder's warranty final. The builder had no problem with my report but I don't think that electrician will be involved in the next project.
    Bob: I have nothing personal against someone performing inspections for builders, except that if I were to do so I would then feel obligated to decline any client inspections of that builder's homes.

What's a conflict in your mind and what it is in a jury's mind is always two entirely different things.

Bob Spermo Guest

A.D.

I would never do a TREC inspection for the buyer if I had done the TRCC phase inspections for the builder. On each house I only work for a single client.

Good call Bob.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas