MaMa Mount Guest

Default Which board member would you like to have lunch with?

Lets kick this around. If you could have lunch with any one board member who would it be. It could be with anyone. Who would you pick and what would you order for lunch?

MaMa Mount

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Which board member would you like to have lunch with?

Quote Originally Posted by MaMa Mount View Post
    Lets kick this around. If you could have lunch with any one board member who would it be. It could be with anyone. Who would you pick and what would you order for lunch?

MaMa Mount
    You.

These other Old Geezers can't cook.

What we having?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

If I answered that question, I would likely slight someone who's name I had inadvertently overlooked.

I'd also add - as someone who over the years has had the opportunity to meet people in person that I've met online in a wide variety of venues - that someone's online persona is often a very poor indication of whether or not you will actually enjoy meeting them in person.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Alright, I'll play.... Rick Hurst, because he's got a good sense of humor and is realistic. But, I have to stop short of spelling out what we'd order. That would make me sound like a creepy stalker.

And, this isn't to say I wouldn't also want to have lunch with the rest of you. Rick's posts just always have a light hearted tone to them, something that would go a long way from the group as a whole.

Richard Moore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    Alright, I'll play.... Rick Hurst, because he's got a good sense of humor and is realistic.
    Yep, Rick for his humor and obvious delight in the lighter side of life. I'm not sure about the "realistic" bit though. I've seen photo's of him.

Can I make it a threesome and add Jack Feldmen? The gentleman has the best war stories, by far.

Menu? I supect something with the horns taken off and walked lightly past a grill.

Apologies to all others!

Ron Bibler Guest

Well I could sit down with anyone on this board and have a good time at lunch. but to pick just one W.C. Jerry as we are on the same coast and we talk about getting together sometime back in healdsburg for coffee.

Its on me Jerry any time...

Been to lunch with Gunnar. That guy can eat... L.O.L.

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly Guest

Ding, ding, ding.

Ron Bibler is the winner.

Why. Because I think it would be enjoyable conversation and probably not pertain to home inspection. Just a good lunch and enjoyable life experience convo with a lot a laughs.

First of all I thank Matt and Richard for those kind comments for maybe choosing me. They never seen me eat though so they'd probably change their minds.

I've had lunch with some of the Dallas boys, including Richard Rushing, Nolan Kienitz, Barry Adair, and Jim Luttrell. Great bunch of guys. It was nice to get to put a face with a name. Can't say they were pretty faces but you know what I mean. We had a good time and conversation. I just felt a bit our of place cause I normally don't eat in such swanky type places.

I would encourage everyone to do the same with someone in your area if you can.

But since Ms. Mount asked who would I have lunch with if I could; I'd have to say my deceased HI brother Marty. He was on this board only for a short time but I assue he would still count. What would we have? Anything he would want!

Rick

MaMa Mount Guest

Does Jerry Peck eat with his feet or something? I was sure everyone would have picked him to burn his ear for a bit.

MaMa
    I was going to say Jerry, but then I thought, he just might take me up on it and then I thought, do I really want to know THAT MUCH about it.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

A.D. Miller Guest

Does Jerry Peck eat with his feet or something? I was sure everyone would have picked him to burn his ear for a bit.
    MM: JP would probably wanna go to some beachy place with drinks that have little umbrellas and the like . . . and, of course, he would charge by the hour.

Talking Re: Which board member would you like to have lunch with?

Thanks for the mention Fritzkelly, and anyone coming in the OKC area he's right the first beer is on me, and I tried to get MaMa to go to lunch and she said I was a dirty old man or somthing like that.

Brian Thomas Guest

I gotta go with any one of the texas boys...it would give me a great excuse to get down there and eat some real BBQ instead of this tony roma's garbage we get up north

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    I gotta go with any one of the texas boys...it would give me a great excuse to get down there and eat some real BBQ instead of this tony roma's garbage we get up north
    Brian: Tony Romas is damned good, don't get me wrong, but I've eaten better BBQ in a hundred Texas back yards. It's an art form down here.

Aaron

Eric Shuman Guest

I would be happy to go to lunch with any of the Austin guys that post here. For some reason though, it seems we are all a bit stand-offish (is it because our market is smaller than DFW and we are scared we might give away some of our mojo?)

I would have to say Rick Hurst though because his great sense of humor reminds me of my brother, so it feels like I already know him so I probably wouldn't have to put on my best table manners. Plus I wouldn't have to drive all the way to Tennesee to eat with Scott Patterson, my other choice, DFW is a lot closer!

As far as what to eat, Tex-mex, no doubt!

Eric

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Shuman View Post
    I would be happy to go to lunch with any of the Austin guys that post here. For some reason though, it seems we are all a bit stand-offish (is it because our market is smaller than DFW and we are scared we might give away some of our mojo?)

I would have to say Rick Hurst though because his great sense of humor reminds me of my brother, so it feels like I already know him so I probably wouldn't have to put on my best table manners. Plus I wouldn't have to drive all the way to Tennesee to eat with Scott Patterson, my other choice, DFW is a lot closer!

As far as what to eat, Tex-mex, no doubt!

Eric

TexMex

Man, I have been in Texas pushing 5 years now. Do I like TexMex, well, yeah. But seriously, what is TexMex but cheap to make food. Other than a little more cilantro or hot peppers, what is the difference between all of them. A little different Caso. Mesquite this and that. I just never got the rave. I do like it but I am certainly not going to trample someone to get to it. I think it is way over blown. Just like Italian. One restaurant is better than the other. It just gives me one more choice to go to eat. If you venture outside Texas you will find it has spread all over the US. Yeah yeah. Salsa made in New York.

Chinese food when I was groing up in Mass was not matched anywhere I went for years. Even that has changed. California still has some of the older, what we grew up with, tradition chinese food. When I say traditional is what it use to be made like in the US. Not In China Cinese food.

I would have picked Rick for a lunch with but I think he may eat mall my food

Eric Shuman Guest

TexMex-

Maybe it's a native Texan thing. I've lived in Texas most of my life and so TexMex is a staple for me. When I leave the country (or state) for more than a week, the first thing I eat when I get back is Mexican food, I actually crave it.

Cheap food? Sure, but so are a lot of other great foods including Chinese food and the mystery meats they use (in my neighborhood ferrel cats are not just cheap, they're free).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Shuman View Post
    TexMex-

Maybe it's a native Texan thing. I've lived in Texas most of my life and so TexMex is a staple for me. When I leave the country (or state) for more than a week, the first thing I eat when I get back is Mexican food, I actually crave it.

Cheap food? Sure, but so are a lot of other great foods including Chinese food and the mystery meats they use (in my neighborhood ferrel cats are not just cheap, they're free).
    Eric: Since Texas was once Mexico, the food is just the native food here. Peasant food or simple food in any country is usually the best. It takes a much more skilled cook to prepare cheap cuts of meat and common vegetables, spices and herbs so that they are not only edible but taste great.

Any clown can buy the best available food, dump lots of heavy cream, butter, etc. in, or just deep fry it and come up with something palatable. It takes some doing to take the likes of a skirt steak and make it desirable.

Same goes with brisket used for BBQ.

Brian Thomas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Eric: Since Texas was once Mexico, the food is just the native food here. Peasant food or simple food in any country is usually the best. It takes a much more skilled cook to prepare cheap cuts of meat and common vegetables, spices and herbs so that they are not only edible but taste great.

Any clown can buy the best available food, dump lots of heavy cream, butter, etc. in, or just deep fry it and come up with something palatable. It takes some doing to take the likes of a skirt steak and make it desirable.

Same goes with brisket used for BBQ.
    Amen...I made a brisket in my smoker one time and i may have well just been eating a shoe. It was so tough. I thought.."hey just throw it in a smoker for a few hours and...voila...a tasty mouth watering tender piece of beef was gonna come out. I couldnt have been more wrong!

I havent made it since.

Ron
    Next time I'm in Healdsburg I'll give you a call. I like Fitch Mt. Eddie's salads, Ravenous for long lunches (outside of course) and Ralf's on the square for dinner. Best coffee around is at the flying goat and that grocery store out on Dry Creek Road make good sandwiches for picnics. Usually we picnic at the Dry Creek Winery and buy a cold bottle of their excellent Sauvignon Blanc to wash it down. I'd like to try Cyrus, but I'd have to sell some of my stock to be able to afford their prices and selling in this market is not an option.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Ron
    Next time I'm in Healdsburg I'll give you a call. I like Fitch Mt. Eddie's salads, Ravenous for long lunches (outside of course) and Ralf's on the square for dinner. Best coffee around is at the flying goat and that grocery store out on Dry Creek Road make good sandwiches for picnics. Usually we picnic at the Dry Creek Winery and buy a cold bottle of their excellent Sauvignon Blanc to wash it down. I'd like to try Cyrus, but I'd have to sell some of my stock to be able to afford their prices and selling in this market is not an option.
    Your on Jerry.

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller Guest

Amen...I made a brisket in my smoker one time and i may have well just been eating a shoe. It was so tough. I thought.."hey just throw it in a smoker for a few hours and...voila...a tasty mouth watering tender piece of beef was gonna come out. I couldnt have been more wrong!

I havent made it since.
    Brian: Get yourself a Jaccard. Then buy a good brisket at Sam's or your local grocery store. Then get a good recipe. Then go to work on it a day or two before you plan to cook it. A $15 or $20 brisket will feed 6 large folks - full.

Don't let it intimidate you. It's not rocket science - only chemistry.

Brian Thomas Guest

Brian: Get yourself a Jaccard. Then buy a good brisket at Sam's or your local grocery store. Then get a good recipe. Then go to work on it a day or two before you plan to cook it. A $15 or $20 brisket will feed 6 large folks - full.

Thanks!

I have made a few decent pork butt's in my day but I just couldnt do the brisket.

I was wondering what a jaccard was and then I clicked on the link. So a needling device is essential eh? I thought about buying one of those awhile back to make cube steak, but just use a fork instead. Gotta poke it about a thousand times though.

I'll probably try again when the weather warms...we have about a foot of snow on the ground now and are expecting more. Its gonna be 0 degrees here tomorrow. You texas folk probably have no idea what thats like

A.D. Miller Guest

Thanks!

I have made a few decent pork butt's in my day but I just couldnt do the brisket.

I was wondering what a jaccard was and then I clicked on the link. So a needling device is essential eh? I thought about buying one of those awhile back to make cube steak, but just use a fork instead. Gotta poke it about a thousand times though.

I'll probably try again when the weather warms...we have about a foot of snow on the ground now and are expecting more. Its gonna be 0 degrees here tomorrow. You texas folk probably have no idea what thats like
    Brian: It reaches 0 degrees and below here usually just on the Weather Channel when we're watching it elsewhere. The winters here are a bit hard to imagine. Roller coaster weather is the best I can describe. 80 one day and 30 the next. Usually about 50 during the day and 35 at night. Lots of sun. Snow? Nah, not really. A few flakes here and there once or twice a year. Winter weather mostly amounts to icing of the roads which, with the stupid GD drivers here, amounts to chaos.

Then there's the summers. But, that's another story.

Brian Thomas Guest

Brian: It reaches 0 degrees and below here usually just on the Weather Channel when we're watching it elsewhere. The winters here are a bit hard to imagine. Roller coaster weather is the best I can describe. 80 one day and 30 the next. Usually about 50 during the day and 35 at night. Lots of sun. Snow? Nah, not really. A few flakes here and there once or twice a year. Winter weather mostly amounts to icing of the roads which, with the stupid GD drivers here, amounts to chaos.

Then there's the summers. But, that's another story.
    Good lord, I dont even want to see what its like down there in the middle of august

Yeah ill bet ice on the roads down there shuts the entire state down. We get a foot on the ground and people keep on smilin. Well, maybe not smilin but its definitely manageable. Rush hour sucks when it rains or snows here but most are used to the snow enough to be able to drive in it.

Brian Thomas Guest

I just now looked at the link to the recipe you showed me and you will not believe that is the exact one I used. I made it 4 years ago too but I swear that was the exact recipe I used. I remember because I wanted one that would work well with a water smoker. I no longer have the water smoker as it was a pain in the arse to use. But that was the recipe...thats kinda funny considering the thousands of recipes out on the net.

Well heck, next time anyone is down my way give me a holler. Ya never know what might be on the pot. Just today I found some fresh road kill, heck it was so fresh it was still twitchen. And folks ask me why I carry an ice chest in the back of my pickup! Be glad to share a plate and a tall tale on the front porch with any of ya fellas.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Good lord, I dont even want to see what its like down there in the middle of august
    Brian: No. You surely don't.

I just now looked at the link to the recipe you showed me and you will not believe that is the exact one I used. I made it 4 years ago too but I swear that was the exact recipe I used. I remember because I wanted one that would work well with a water smoker. I no longer have the water smoker as it was a pain in the arse to use. But that was the recipe...thats kinda funny considering the thousands of recipes out on the net.
    Brian: Jaccard it, apply the rub, wrap it up and put it in the refrigerator at least over night. I use a gas grill with only the far left burner on. Don't put the meat over the heat, but off to the side. I use a pan of water up on the top grill just to keep a bit of moisture in there. Let it cook about 6 or 7 hours at about 200 degrees, depending on the size. They usually don't look like they are ever going to get done until right at the end of the process.

I sort of make up the rub as I go along depending on what I have on hand, but the essentials are in the recipe. I also add chimayo pepper, chipotle pepper, raspberry sauce and whatever else I'm in the mood for. I don't usually use wood chips. If I do, I use apple or something a bit milder than hickory, oak or mesquite. Too much smoke overwhelms the meat - my opinion.

If the weather's the hitch, you can modify this a bit and do it in the oven in aluminum foil. Comes out nearly as good.

The Jaccard is good for any meat. Works on ribs, cheap steaks, pork, you name it.

I'm getting hungry now and thinking about taking a brisket out of the freezer for the weekend.

Aaron

MaMa Mount Guest

Mr. Miller I always thought that you should puncture the brisket as it would let all the juices drip from the meat. That rubbing receipe do sound good you talk of. My ex used to cook brisket and I swear he would start it on friday night and we wouldn't pull it off the grill till sunday dinner. Meat would be so tender it would melt in yo mouth. Have you ever tried BBQing a goat? Now there is some heaven right there.

A.D. Miller Guest

Mr. Miller I always thought that you should puncture the brisket as it would let all the juices drip from the meat. That rubbing receipe do sound good you talk of. My ex used to cook brisket and I swear he would start it on friday night and we wouldn't pull it off the grill till sunday dinner. Meat would be so tender it would melt in yo mouth. Have you ever tried BBQing a goat? Now there is some heaven right there.
    MM: That's what the Jaccard is for - to puncture the meat. But the puncturing is really done in order to let the rub ingredients penetrate the meat in order to tenderize it.

In Texas goat BBQs are things of legend. I went to my first when I was about 6. We used to slow cook the meat over a pit of mesquite coals. Cabrito (goat) recipes abound here and on the Internet. Good stuff if you cook it right. Goes really well with Margaritas, but then so does nearly everything else.

Ted Menelly Guest

Somebody say Margaritas????????????????????

Did anyone see than nut last night on the television that will just about eat anything he comes across?

Bald guy that has the series.

Good Lord, the man was eating guinea pigs somewhere down in Columbia I believe. Roasted on a grill. He was going after it like it was a fine steak.

Of course this guy on the show will eat anything as long as it doesn't eat him first.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Did anyone see than nut last night on the television that will just about eat anything he comes across?

Bald guy that has the series.

Good Lord, the man was eating guinea pigs somewhere down in Columbia I believe. Roasted on a grill. He was going after it like it was a fine steak.

Of course this guy on the show will eat anything as long as it doesn't eat him first.

rick
    I have seen him eat some things he just had to spit out. Just about lost lunch several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I have seen him eat some things he just had to spit out. Just about lost lunch several times.
    This guy: Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To cleanse the palate,

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!